PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
So last night my new cobbit dwarf came in the mail and I love it... Except for one small problem, I'm get a horrible plasticky type taste no matter which blend I smoke( I've tried 3 diff blends to be sure). I'm not a huge fan of churchwarden stems so I also ordered the MM royal nonfiltered bit, essentially making it a cobbit nosewarmer. I havnt had time to try the church stem it came with to see if maybe it was just the short bit causing that taste. But somehow I doubt it is. What can I do? Should I do some kind of alcohol treatment, or just keep smoking it and maybe that plastic taste will go away? What should I do? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I really want to love this cobbit

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It could be that there was a sloppy job done on the final coat of protective finish that may have gone into your bowl. It will either burn off or you can sand it off...that's all I got.

Blech! Bleh! Ick! I have two functional cob pipes, and three that leak like a sieve around the part that is just "glued" into the bowl. I read through this forum that the common fix for this is wood glue. belch, ich, ugg! Maybe some of the manufacturer's wood glue got inside the bowl. I have no idea what could be causing it for you. But, the idea of smoking glue along with my tobacco makes me feel sick.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have never experienced anything like that from a Missouri Meerschaum Cob. I would first try the stem intended for the pipe. Rule out that factor, and go from there.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Maybe try putting the questionable stem in your mouth without the stummel attached and see if drawing open air for a while gives you that plastic taste. While not an exact science, it might help you in figuring out if it the stem or the cob that is causing your problem.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Try lighting the tobacco in the large end of the pipe. That should cut down on the plastic taste. :)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
You've smoked 3 bowls since you took delivery last night? Maybe rest it between smokes? Cobs are pretty resilient but they need to cool thoroughly between bowls, give it some more time, 5-6 bowls and everything should settle in.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
Using the stem it came with didn't change that taste. But I noticed that towards the bottom of the bowl that "plastic" taste goes away. So I'm just gonna smoke a few bowls of carter hall through it and hopefully that taste will burn out

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's going to have that taste for the first few bowls, there's probably a stain on the inside of the bowl so once you smoke a few bowls it will go away.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
The last two stained cobs I got had a horrible smell/taste (a freehand and a squire). The stain... A little sanding, wipe out with alcohol and a day in the sun cleared it up. They both smoke wonderfully.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
If the bad taste does not go away, we will gladly replace the pipe. Just email us or call us.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You don't want to be smoking plastic. You don't want a bunch of monomers, little stray molecules that attach to cellular molecules. Whatever we ask our bodies to clear from the tobacco itself, we sure don't want these. I'd replace the pipe.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
It's going to have that taste for the first few bowls, there's probably a stain on the inside of the bowl so once you smoke a few bowls it will go away.
I smoked my cob once in a while, and the smoke tastes sweet every time.

I wonder what material / process has been used to harden and fill the gaps in the natural corn - is it really only the normal 'Plaster of Paris' that we can get in an art supply store?
These formula material can potentially be the perfect way to fix a cracked or burnt-out chamber of briar pipes.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I wonder what material / process has been used to harden and fill the gaps in the natural corn - is it really only the normal 'Plaster of Paris'
They may have tweaked it a little but that is my understanding of exactly what they use. There is a post here somewhere showing the process. My cobs by them all smoke great! But if it is problematic give them a chance to fix it.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
Hey guys just an update on the cobbit. After about 5 smokes it cleared up and that taste went away! And I have to say this thing smokes really well! I'm still fairly new to the hobby and this cobbit has given me one of the best smokes I ever had. Also a shout out to the staff at MIssouri meerschaum. They were great! And the speed that my order was processed shipped and delivered was fantastic. A great bunch of people and I will be a lifelong customer!

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I'm glad your cobbit cleared up. I own the same model along with a few other from Missouri meerschaum. They are great smokers for me. I hope you enjoy yours!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I spent much of the Chicago Pipe Show right next to the fine folk from Missouri Meershaum. Their tables were right behind mine. They were very friendly and helpful. This company has a very loyal customer base.
Why do you start a thread with a title that is attacking the company / product? Do some research first. A quick search shows that the first bowl or two in a cob may be required to remove some glue. Then you have a great pipe for a very long time.
Guitrsnglocks, I am not attacking you directly. Every so often people on this forum and others start a thread complaining / attacking etc a new product, without going back to the vendor. This gives a bad impression to others. I did a quick google search on Cobbit. This thread did not appear within the first three pages of results. But, if it did, then anyone curious about the pipe would see your complaint. They would probably not read the next 15-20 replies to show that you are now happy with the product.
Winton
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.