PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Check it out! My first Chris Morgan. A bones series. $45 bucks shipped and got it in 3 days.

20151123_093321-1_resized-600x566.jpg

Basically he takes his best briars that have small defects and finishes them to the best of the ability and sells them. All pipes are smokable but have various degrees of scuffs or pits.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If it smokes as well as the Blackjack line smokes then you're in a good place for sure.
-- Pat

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
His price point for these boggles my mind. I would guess he's just getting his money back in materials. That is a phenomenal price, I've been watching this unfold on his facebook page! Let us know how it treats you!

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
My best guess to why they are so low in price is because of bulk briar buying. Instead of tossing a few pieces of briar with defects, he just re purposes them as a lower cost pipe. That would explain why you can request shapes but no guarantees. there probably the start of other stock items that didn't work out. Now if i could get a bones briar cigar haha.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Chris is a very nice guy and a great pipemaker- his handmade pipes are superb. He would be the first to tell you(he mentions it on his site)- he doesn't make the Cigar, Blackjack, or Bones- They are all factory made pipes produced in Italy.
If you want to have your own private label pipe produced, you pretty much have 3 choices- If it's a unique design like the Briar Cigar, you contract with the factory and they tool up to custom produce that for you- it's not cheap and you need a pretty significant production run .
If it's a fairly standard design like the Blackjack, you specify finishes and details to provide your own unique marketing branding, possibly pay for tooling for the frasing machines to produce some variations of existing designs, and you can sell at a reasonable price point.
The third choice is to buy factory pipes and put your name on them. Pipe shops have been doing this for years...
It's really difficult to make a living as a pipemaker, and to be successful, you better have a marketing plan and make money all the way up and down the line whether it's from high grades, marketing a production line of pipes,or selling T Shirts...
...and at the end of the day, the true test with any pipe is if you enjoy smoking it, you got a great deal...:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think that's a great way to turn a dollar and stay in business with your own pipe carving, while making inexpensive but good smoking pipes available to those starting out or others who want a low-priced pipe. I have several of the old Sav seconds and unfinished stamped pipes that are terrific and done with the same concept. As mentioned by someone else, these color beautifully after a year or two -- often in a glowing walnut tone that really has depth. Just polish them while still warm after each smoke, just with a rag or bandana, nothing fancy. I'll check it out.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
what Zach is saying is that anyone can become a Dagner!
Close....the truth is that the Dagners with 10k followers on Instagram...and Chris 6,300 followers are really, really good at it....

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Absolutely. I said it a bit tongue in cheek as there is a whole other dimension to it than just getting a factory to make you pipes. You have to have an audience to sell to!
Back on topic, I've seen a few of the bones pipes coloring nicely on facebook and Chris is offering a great value!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a real good looking pipe. Love the slight curve of the stem. Good to hear she smokes well. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.