PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
The prices are all over the place! Who in their right mind would buy a 200+ lighter on eBay? Way too easy to get a fake... But knowing its a knockoff for 30$ isn't terrible.
What about filling it? they say it doesn't have the adapter piece but you can buy that extra! What.its like 15cents extra! Geez...

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Arrived today from So. Korea. After I figured out how to install the flint (wtf) I used the included brass adapter to fill it.. adjusted the flame, and voila!
View attachment 11606

Mine finally arrived last Thursday (a little under a month since the purchase). Had to go and buy proper flints. Installed, filled, adjusted and it works great. However, "you get what you pay for". Although heavy as a brick (which should probably translate "quality"), the finish is crap. I've bought a black one and the paint already chipped off in places of operational contact.
Anyway, I like the feel of it. It's to stay in my EDC as long as it works.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Mine finally arrived last Thursday (a little under a month since the purchase). Had to go and buy proper flints. Installed, filled, adjusted and it works great. However, "you get what you pay for". Although heavy as a brick (which should probably translate "quality"), the finish is crap. I've bought a black one and the paint already chipped off in places of operational contact.
Anyway, I like the feel of it. It's to stay in my EDC as long as it works.
I mean yeah... I would probably avoid painted or lacquered ones for fear of this.
However my polished version seems to be of good quality.

Are you referring to those who've bought a very workable and handsome ripoff of the S.T. Dupont Ligne 2 for $25.00, or those who've bought the real thing upwards of $500.00?
I figure the person who spent $500 on probably the same lighter from the same plant... but with a real serial number.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
This all reminds me of the Harley Davidson versus everything else mindset. For those who have, and demand, the original I say congratulation you own an important piece of smoking history. And a good lighter to boot. To those that have gone with the tribute lighters I say, frugal is good. Try the design out and see if you like it before plopping down a princely sum. To both groups I say, your pipe is going to taste the same no matter which you light it with.

Reactions: vates and jpmcwjr

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Would this group be as forgiving of Chinese pipes being sold with dunhill nomenclature on eBay? A match blend being sold in a name brand tin?

I’m always surprised when I see people support counterfeits. Not “tributes”, but outright counterfeits. I consider counterfeits criminal.

• Love
Reactions: sandollars

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
If anyone thinks they are really getting a genuine Dunhill lighter from China for $30 then they shouldn't be on ebay. The same would be true for anyone buying a top shelf pipe on ebay for 10% of retail.

the bottom line is these are machined perfectly and function perfectly.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I will try to state this and avoid the political. The Chinese do not recognize our concept of copyright. This is one of the reasons for our ongoing trade disputes. This is not so much a political (and definitely not “criminal”) disparity. as a cultural one. For millennia (yes, that long) the Chinese have taken an idea, which they believe no one has ownership of, and have sought to improve upon it or make it in a more economical fashion. This is a different way of thinking than (perhaps) our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.