PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You would have to pay me a lot of money to smoke one of those. My favorite Castello shape is no 49, graceful lines and the one I had smoked great. That is one I let get away that I regret.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I clench constantly.. maybe I’m just lucky.
Right but I’m saying maybe you hold the pipe up more or just differently? I tend to let the pipe hang straight down and I have noticed a shorter pipe is worse for eye smoke. Though I have a few bents that seem to do it too.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
That pipe sold, so the first link is a 404 now. But if it’s the same one that there was a picture of later downthread, it does look rather Bonesy to me. Not a big fan of that particular shape.

I like nosewarmers in general...or maybe it’d be more accurate to say I like short, stubby, chubby, curvy, muscular shaped pipes, and most of the ones that appeal to me happen to be nosewarmer sized by default. Of course, I’m short, fat, and roundly proportioned, so pipes like that match up with me quite well.

I don’t get a lot of smoke in my eyes or anything, but that’s probably because I’m an outdoor smoker and there’s almost always at least a light breeze.

Oct 7, 2016
it does look rather Bonesy to me.
I first saw a Castello 10 in 1985. Bones started in ____? Only thing “new” about that shape for Castello is the stem. But I am not sure about that being all that new, either. As I said in another thread re: the Smoking Pipes Anniversary Castello, they have played around with the 10 concept for several years, but we don’t see many in the US market.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I first saw a Castello 10 in 1985. Bones started in ____? Only thing “new” about that shape for Castello is the stem. But I am not sure about that being all that new, either. As I said in another thread re: the Smoking Pipes Anniversary Castello, they have played around with the 10 concept for several years, but we don’t see many in the US market.

Yeah, I was referring to the unfinished-looking gnarly natural beige finish, which immediately makes me think of cheap Bones pipes. It’s my understanding that Bones pipes are just raw natural seconds/thirds of factory shapes that are sourced from Italian factories, or rescued from a dumpster outside an Italian pipe factory in the dark of night, depending on who you talk to and how charitable they’re feeling.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
Yeah, I was referring to the unfinished-looking gnarly natural beige finish, which immediately makes me think of cheap Bones pipes. It’s my understanding that Bones pipes are just raw natural seconds/thirds of factory shapes that are sourced from Italian factories, or rescued from a dumpster outside an Italian pipe factory in the dark of night, depending on who you talk to and how charitable they’re feeling.
Natural Vergin is a name used by Castello for an unstained Sea Rock. Been making them since the mind of man (at least this man, who has been fascinated by the marque since he got his first Black Sea Rock in 1981) runneth not to the contrary. Some earlier ones were waxed, but I haven’t seen one of those in decades.

As I understand it, production is irregular because briar that would be just fine for a Sea Rock and would “take” a stain in one of the Sea Rock colors isn’t always monochrome, which an NV has to be. They were unusual enough to have been highly sought after when all Castellos were rare in the US

I have no idea where Bones sources their briar. Oh, Ser Jacopo has an unstained Line as well, called Spongia, which they produce in both rusticated and sandblasted Pipes

Reactions: BROBS

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
While I love Castello pipes, I also struggle to find shapes to my taste; more English or French than Italian. This one doesn’t hit the spot for me, despite the beautiful finishes.

Reactions: mso489 and BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
So does Ardor and others... with much more appealing shapes. ?
Well, we can disagree about the shapes ?, but the US importer, Steve Monjure, is truly one of the good guys in this industry and has done a great job supporting the line for decades. If we ever have pipe shows again, it is very worthwhile spending time with him if he has a table.

Reactions: artvandelay007

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Well, we can disagree about the shapes ?, but the US importer, Steve Monjure, is truly one of the good guys in this industry and has done a great job supporting the line for decades. If we ever have pipe shows again, it is very worthwhile spending time with him if he has a table.
Maybe I can ask why Castellos are so overpriced compared to other Italian handmades?

and I’m sorry man. I like you, but that pipe is ugly my friend.
Why does it have a fat rounded point at the end?

the guy smoking it looks distinguished tho :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.