PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like the ones they made for SPC.

SPC.20.Castello-Homepage.jpg

The only Castello shape I've owned was one of their Sea Rock bent eggs. Their shapes never inspired me to buy another.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I dunno. Seems like the chunky nosewarmer is the trendy style these days, at least among American pipe makers who are sourcing from Italy (Chris Morgan, OMS, etc.). When I finally plunk down the chunk of change for my first Castello, it won't be this shape.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
It looks a bit too Danish for a Castello in my opinion. If I want an Italian short pipe, I'd rather go for a shape 10 or even 55. In addition to that I'm not a fan of saddle bits.

Oct 7, 2016
A great virtue of the 93/293 is that they have a very good bowl capacity for the size/weight, the older ones in particular (more recent vintage ones seem to have larger diameter shanks, thicker stems, less svelte bowl exteriors) My friend who had over a dozen practically lived in his car during the week.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Oct 7, 2016
02718255-F1A8-4F84-A441-E22B1A311880.jpeg
A2004 kk Collection 10 shown with an ODA sized Ser Jacopo Renaissance. I have never had an issue with smoke in my eyes from the 10 or second hand smoke. YMMV. If you want more pop from a lighter Flake, a 10 is a good way to get it. Good Flake pipes all around. As are 11’s and shorter shank 55’s which aren’t seen as much these days. (Lanzolo sometimes has them) and older 33’s.

Reactions: burleyboy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The design is compact and nifty, except for the finish a little like the Al Fascia chubby and other similar compact pipes. My gripe with it, as with some other Castello pipes, is that it's overweight for its size. One of the luxuries of this size pipe, and the nose warmer style is that it is not heavy. Also, I'm used to Castello having a distinctive design that denotes its brand, and this one follows in the wake of many other similar pipes by other brands, although the finish is Castello-like. On the other hand, I have several nose warmers, and I never feel I'm getting smoke in my face.

Oct 7, 2016
The design is compact and nifty, except for the finish a little like the Al Fascia chubby and other similar compact pipes. My gripe with it, as with some other Castello pipes, is that it's overweight for its size. One of the luxuries of this size pipe, and the nose warmer style is that it is not heavy. Also, I'm used to Castello having a distinctive design that denotes its brand, and this one follows in the wake of many other similar pipes by other brands, although the finish is Castello-like. On the other hand, I have several nose warmers, and I never feel I'm getting smoke in my face.
40 grams would be right in @ssjones wheelhouse. :)More wood than you might thank in 10’s. You could surround the bowl of the one I posted a picture that I own in ice cubes,, Fire it up with Flake, and the cubes wouldn’t melt.

10’s aren’t my favorites, particularly later more Rubenesque examples. But they have their place.

Not sure when Castello first introduced 10’s, but I have seen them with shape numbers stamped, which Rich Esserman and some others say they stopped stamping circa 1990. So Castello isn’t copying anybody else. Other way around. Well, that stem sure looks Danish to me. But otherwise, the mini LB look is a Castello classic. And up until the mid to late 1990’s, they were scarce as hens teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.