Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Looks like the answer is NO!
At least not yet.
Although I'm not a big fan of the Captain, I have tried the White, and it was sinfully aromatic, until I realized that what I was smoking wasn't necessarily even tobacco!
I'd be willing to give the new line a try, but only out of someone else's pouch. I know there are regular Captain Black smokers on this forum, and Pipes and Cigars claim "Captain Black Pipe Tobaccos are the world's largest selling pipe blends, and have been for well over 30 years."
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I'll put my money on other Brands.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Captain Black is a blend I was forced to suffer during my stint in the Air Force overseas. It was one of the only tobaccos available on base that I could tolerate. I remember it started out ok but ended bitter, harsh and wet towards the end of the smoke. I'd like to read some current reviews before going back to Black.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I haven't smoked Captain Black since I was a teen 30 years ago, but Kevin (I think) posted a review of a few Captain Black blends a while back; you can read the review here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/captain-black-pipe-tobacco-review/

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I tried them at the St. Louis pipe show in February. I am a latakia lover, and found the Captain Black Premium Black Sea to be a nice, mild latakia smoke. And the room note is awesome, and even had some others comment favorably on it. I've ordered several tins of the Black Sea from P&C and need to order more.
I've also found the Red Sky to be a better smoke than their normal lines, although not totally up my alley. Midnight Gold was just an "okay" smoke for me (similar to what original Captain Black tastes like to me).
Right now, they are only available at P&C, although the Scandinavian Tobacco Group guy said P&C would have a 30-60 day headstart over the other online retailers. But they should be popping up on other sites any day now.
Here are the descriptions from P&C:
Black Sea: Black Sea is a distinctive marriage of mellow Burleys, sweet Virginias, softly-sweet toasted black Cavendish, and a judicious amount of Latakia. The result is a mild blend, which is easy on the tongue, has a hint of smokiness that never overwhelms, and a mild undercurrent of sweetness.
Red Sky: Captain Black Red Sky is a rare blend, indeed. Most people who like the taste and aroma of cherries have found that pipe tobaccos with that flavor tend to be harsh, or will bite the tongue. Red Sky breaks the mold. A mixture of Burleys, black Cavendish, and bright Virginia, it's carefully imbued with a sweet, yet delicate, rich cherry note. Finally, a gentle-smoking cherry blend.
Midnight Gold: Captain Black Midnight Gold is a smooth, and lightly-sweet blend of superb Burleys, rich, but mellow, black Cavendish, and a bit of bright Virginia. It has a wonderful confectionery aroma, and can be enjoyed all day without worrying about bite.
Enjoy! :puffy:

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I'm really liking the captain black dark. You can puff pipe fulls and you will look forward to next one.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I am also a fan of the Captain Black Dark even though I was originally resistant to the CB blends. I got a pouch in the IPSD deal from P&C and have been enjoying it over the last few weeks. It is definitely wetter than I prefer but still manages to smoke pretty well, especially while out on a walk with the dog.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Never smoked Captain Black. Don't ever intend to. Too much good stuff on the market to bother with it. (I long ago atoned for my sin of smoking Borkum Riff when I was in college.)

Mar 5, 2014
Ohio
Greetings and salutations my fellow friars of the briar,
Has anyone tried the Hearth & Home Black House blend?

If so, what say yee?
Thanks-

dukeofwestwood63

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Used to like Capt Black "White" until I tried Capt Black Dark, man that's one of the best aromatics around!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'll admit I'm kind of a tobacco snob, but I wouldn't write off the new captain black until I tried it, the fact they're putting in in a tin and probably not coating it with PG and using a higher quality leaf is enough to give it a try. Of course I really don't smoke aro's, but a lat aro perhaps. Either way, until I gave it a try I wouldn't pass judgement on it as a cheap otc, it seems like they're trying to enter into a higher quality blend.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
....and I tried it once. In short, I'm not impressed with the first bowl. I'm used to PS Balkan Supreme and this Captain Black Dark Sea pales in comparison. The latakia is there but it's faint and gets pushed more into the background as it burns down. I found the end smoke to be somewhat harsh. It did burn well right out of the tin. Other than that I don't find it distinctive at all. If I'm going to spend my money on tobacco I'm going to demand more than Dark Sea delivers. It's not bad, but it's not that good either.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for the rewiew tuold!
Somehow I'm not surprised by the outcome.
Nonetheless, should I run into a fellow piper toting a pouchful, I'd certainly try it just to find out for myself. That said, it is certainly not on my list of "must try" tobaccos!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've got a sample of Captain Black White that I have yet to try - but once I've finished off the last of my Molto Dolce, I'll give it a shot. Trying to finish off a few more samples before indulging in more TAD...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Captain Black White is scrumptious!
That said, it offers little when it comes to true tobacco flavor.
It's the McDonalds Burger of the tobacco world, good when you're in the mood, but it hardly compares to something off your back yard BBQ.
Smoke it for what it is and you'll probably enjoy it!
As a matter of fact, I'm about to light up a bowl of some right now, go figure!

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Captain black white is a flavorful blend and i enjoy every now and then. The new CB dark i really like especialy in a deep bowled meersham.

grumpy74

Lurker
May 28, 2014
AFGHANISTAN
I just recently got the BC Sampler with the three blends. I have only tryied the "Red Sky" tin. I was empressed with the flavor and the Room Note. New again to Smoking pipes this was my first tin. In the past I was only able to get the Smokers Pride. So that is all I have to go off of. I am hoping to broaden my palate here shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.