PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
C3B27C41-D0DA-42A4-879C-BF00AC06C304.jpeg
As I write I am halfway through a cob of 2021 Burley London Blend. Sorry Shermnatman, no honey ? required.

Opening the tin I am put off by what reminds me of Coco-Puffs—(artificially flavored) children’s breakfast cereal. No, this is NOT the tin-note of Burley London.
223C01EF-EE1C-47C7-83ED-1B2FC5EDD3F1.jpeg
My opinion is empirical as I have beside me a jar of 2012 BLB which, in addition to it’s Burley nuttiness, has a mouthwatering floral note—reminiscent of MacBaren’s discontinued Norwood, another of its finer Burley Blends. For the record, these were my go-to smokes for many years.

Am I enjoying the new BLB. Well, yes-I am. The topping has given way to MacBaren’s quality Burley. Yet, something differs.
B1665548-55C3-4634-82AE-FDA5EB84E950.jpeg
An uninterrupted run from 1965 to 2012 raised from the dead? I say emphatically, “No.” I have a sensitivity to artificial anything invading tobacco.
4214CF15-4EF5-4A23-B725-B16221AC1139.jpeg
Appearance? Nailed it. Moisture? Typical MacBaren. Smokeabilty? Mild and pleasant blown through the nose. Flavor? Cocoa—but not as found in the original. “Cocoa”as in match Prince Andrew—Flavorful due to topping, rather than what develops naturally.

Many reviewers unfairly rate all of MacBaren tobacco as burning hotter than two rats copulating in a wool sock. I disagree. Unless there’s a chemical reason, I find their blends well behaved.
9C9F5E46-24E2-40C3-B06A-3B7A26CDF8EC.jpeg
On relight it developed a bit of baking spice, nutmeg? The artificial cocoa has diminished somewhat but the tobacco retained its smoothness to the end. It’s not a bad blend, it’s just not the old BLB.

One of my favorite ways to try tobaccos, new or old, is to fill my bowl 2/3 with granger and topped with another.—It gives me a chance to experience a char-light and what I consider to be the “best 10 minutes” of any smoke. If I don’t care for a new tobacco, I’ve not ruined my smoke—the granger will soon awaken.

There are not many blends where I’m “disappointed” when my beloved granger takes over. There have been only two—both aged jars—original Burley London Blend and original Edgeworth RR—which I have in dwindling quantity. Hence my method of prolonging their enjoyment.

Verdict? It’s ok. I’m glad I bought 5 tins instead of ten. Honestly, I wish I’d only bought two.

I will be saving my unopened 2012 BLB for the approaching asteroid that will end human existence and I’ll savor and sprinkle what remains of my tiny jar atop my granger when I wish to reminisce.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I like this blend and have 9 tins. I gave one tin to a friend. If it comes out again, I'll buy 20 more. I found as it dries, the cocoa topping diminishes a fair amount. Still noticeable but does not overwhelm the tobacco. I agree with the OP, I don't have an issue with MB burning hot or biting, you just have to smoke at a reasonable pace.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
So far, all of the sweet reviews have made me a bit sorry I've missed out on this two years in a row, so it is nice to see some dissent. I don't mind a topping if it is done well, but maybe this one is a bit much, depending on the smoker. Hope to give it a try if it returns next year.

I also agree regarding MacBaren and bite/smokeability. I mostly smoke the HH blends, but even the non-HH blends I've tried have been a delight to smoke in terms of their mechanics and lack of bite.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I'd assume their'Golden Extra might be even better,,
Harmony / Golden Extra is its “own” blend. Symphony is another that is often compared. But they all differ. Norwood was my favorite of their burly offerings, it slowly developed a dark chocolate that got richer mid-bowl. Yet, it’s tin note was baffling. Floral. I kid you not. It did not translate to the smoke.

Golden Extra is very popular and good, it just wasn’t my personal taste.

Perhaps it’s the age. I jarred mine in 2014 and it had at least 5 years before I opened to smoke.

One point in fairness. I’ve lost my taste for cocoa in Burley. It’s why I enjoy Granger. It’s nutty with an odd high note — but I do not get cocoa from Granger.

So after years of chocolate, I don’t care for that profile any longer. Maybe I’m not being completely fair to BLB in this regard. In time it’s topping will mellow.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I think as my smoking rotation has aged and I regularly smoke aged/matured tobaccos very few new tobaccos I go into "wow" factor. They usually tend to be just decent or good, and I typically can never compare them to what's in my stash. I think time can do more than we realize with these blends. Superior leaf will always remain supreme and unfortunately I believe big tobacco is destroying what's remaining of the best leaf.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve never had the original but who cares bout that. The cocoa note from the tin is definitely present, but dissipates shortly after getting it going. At first, I was overwhelmed with chocolate, but then the burley took over and shined nicely. It didn’t bite me at all & was ready to smoke at first opening and without any drying time. To me this is similar to Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match in that the cocoa is apparent, but doesn’t overly sublimate the blend. As I very much like RR Match, I enjoy this on the same level. Highly recommend. ?☕

Jun 9, 2018
England
It seems at any point in time nothing is ever as good as it used to be, from appliances to cars to music to movies to pipe tobacco blends. 20 years from now we'll be reminiscing on the good ole days so stock up on what you like now ?
I've got quite a few Dunhill tins from just before they were discontinued and they are definitely better than the Peterson versions.
The Peterson blends may be made in the same factory with the same tobacco to the exact same recipe but my tins have "Dunhill" on them so therefore they are better.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I've got a single tin in the cellar that I purchased (at considerable expense) from the US.
It sounds right up my alley as I love burley blends and I don't mind a slight chocolate topping on a tobacco either. Solani Aged Burley Flake and Gawith Broken Scotch Cake Chocolate (a straight Virginia) are 2 examples where it works well,
I think you’ll really enjoy it. If you like Burley and most especially if you enjoy a chocolate note. I’m not knocking it, just of the opinion that it’s not an accurate representation of its earlier self. It stands alone as a fine Burley. I’m a longtime MacBaren fan. Dig in!

Jun 9, 2018
England
I think you’ll really enjoy it. If you like Burley and most especially if you enjoy a chocolate note. I’m not knocking it, just of the opinion that it’s not an accurate representation of its earlier self. It stands alone as a fine Burley. I’m a longtime MacBaren fan. Dig in!
The way you describe it the original sounds tasty as well, i'd have liked to have tried it. I wonder why they changed the recipe?

Oct 7, 2016
In time it’s topping will mellow.
It definitely does. There is a marked difference in my tins of BLB from the 2020 release when I first got them and the ones I have opened since then. I am still smoking through those and have no intention of opening the 10 I got in this years release. The drawer the tins from the 2020 release are stored in does smell like Hershey Bars, even though none of the tins have compromised seals. As has been pointed out here many times, in various threads, no vacuum seal is perfect.

I smoked the original BLB, but not a lot of it. I think the rerelease is as close to the same as it is possible to get, much closer to the original than anything nine years old would be regardless of storage technique.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The way you describe it the original sounds tasty as well, i'd have liked to have tried it. I wonder why they changed the recipe?
I’m no expert. My guess is it’s hard to resume production of something and expect the same level of consistency as a product that is in constant production.

Kind of like me trying to imitate my mother’s cooking by following her recipe. Not likely to be the same, but close.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I bought into the hype and purchased some of this, but I have yet to smoke any. I'm kind of weird that way; I'll buy stuff, stash it away for years before I get around to smoking it.

As far as maintaining consistency across the life of the blend, I would think that even that would change ever so slightly, since the level of raw inventory that would have to be sourced and maintained would be difficult. A one-off blend a number of years after the fact might be difficult to duplicate due to availability of raw material.

Reactions: Grangerous
Status
Not open for further replies.