PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorealPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2021
View attachment 68393
As I write I am halfway through a cob of 2021 Burley London Blend. Sorry Shermnatman, no honey ? required.

Opening the tin I am put off by what reminds me of Coco-Puffs—(artificially flavored) children’s breakfast cereal. No, this is NOT the tin-note of Burley London.
View attachment 68394
My opinion is empirical as I have beside me a jar of 2012 BLB which, in addition to it’s Burley nuttiness, has a mouthwatering floral note—reminiscent of MacBaren’s discontinued Norwood, another of its finer Burley Blends. For the record, these were my go-to smokes for many years.

Am I enjoying the new BLB. Well, yes-I am. The topping has given way to MacBaren’s quality Burley. Yet, something differs.
View attachment 68395
An uninterrupted run from 1965 to 2012 raised from the dead? I say emphatically, “No.” I have a sensitivity to artificial anything invading tobacco.
View attachment 68397
Appearance? Nailed it. Moisture? Typical MacBaren. Smokeabilty? Mild and pleasant blown through the nose. Flavor? Cocoa—but not as found in the original. “Cocoa”as in match Prince Andrew—Flavorful due to topping, rather than what develops naturally.

Many reviewers unfairly rate all of MacBaren tobacco as burning hotter than two rats copulating in a wool sock. I disagree. Unless there’s a chemical reason, I find their blends well behaved.
View attachment 68398
On relight it developed a bit of baking spice, nutmeg? The artificial cocoa has diminished somewhat but the tobacco retained its smoothness to the end. It’s not a bad blend, it’s just not the old BLB.

One of my favorite ways to try tobaccos, new or old, is to fill my bowl 2/3 with granger and topped with another.—It gives me a chance to experience a char-light and what I consider to be the “best 10 minutes” of any smoke. If I don’t care for a new tobacco, I’ve not ruined my smoke—the granger will soon awaken.

There are not many blends where I’m “disappointed” when my beloved granger takes over. There have been only two—both aged jars—original Burley London Blend and original Edgeworth RR—which I have in dwindling quantity. Hence my method of prolonging their enjoyment.

Verdict? It’s ok. I’m glad I bought 5 tins instead of ten. Honestly, I wish I’d only bought two.

I will be saving my unopened 2012 BLB for the approaching asteroid that will end human existence and I’ll savor and sprinkle what remains of my tiny jar atop my granger when I wish to reminisce.
I started smoking BLB 20 or so years ago and loved it, but neglected to cellar any. I finished my last tin in maybe 2010 and wish I had bought more before it was discontinued. My experience with the 2021 was similar to yours Grangerous. I like it, but think it is quite different from the original. I also find the cocoa scent out of the tin to be off-putting. I stuff a few bowls worth in a pouch and after a day or two the topping is toned down. A decent smoke, but I am glad I only sprung for a couple tins.

Reactions: Grangerous

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley is my favored base tobacco, and I like it in English blends, with Virginia leaf, etc. For some reason, cocoa is not a good pairing with burley for me. It's why I don't like Prince Albert much. It takes some of the subtle edge off burley that dulls its flavor for me. The magic of burley is muted by cocoa to my tastes.

Reactions: Grangerous
Status
Not open for further replies.