PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
What a great thread; and I feel like an idiot for letting trivialities like work get in the way of keeping up to date with this forum.
I do have a few thoughts to share. First, as Jesse knows, I think there's much additional work that can be done on creating a dating rubric for Barling pipes. It would take a collective, disciplined effort and a fair amount of time; and even then would be a work in progress for years. Right now the dialogue is piecemeal.
Secondly, Jesse, I think you skipped a line in your reading of the shape number on the DMW equivalency chart: 1372 is indeed Large (i.e. EL), but it is a billiard slender, not a billiard chubby. And equally importantly, it's equipped with a "saddle bit with long bite length". This last point suggests a few alternatives:
a) that doctorbob's pipe has an original stem, while Pete's does not

b) that the definition of what constituted a 1372 changed over time, and the saddle stem specified at the time of the transition was not standard at some other point in time
Pete, if you talked about the markings on the stem of your 1372 I missed it; sorry. Does it have the Barling cross? Or a Reg number? Or anything else that cries out "Barling" to you?
If hypothesis (a) is right, then two further possibilities come to mind to account for the stem on Pete's pipe:
i) that Pete's stem is indeed a Barling, but a factory replacement (perhaps accounting for the "R" that has been the subject of so much debate?)

ii) that Pete's stem is a non-Barling replacement done at some later point due to damage or owner preference
Of the various hypotheses above (and I'm sure there are others too), I tend towards thinking that the first one (i.e. that doctorbob's pipe has the original "correct" stem, while Pete's does not) the more likely, simply because it's supported by the evidence we have in hand. It could be wrong, of course, but I'd look for something concrete that contradicted existing documents. I also give weight to Jesse's statement that his data suggests strong evidence that shape numbers represented consistent shapes (and stems?) over time.
As for accounting for the taper stem on Pete's pipe, I would dismiss hypothesis (ii) because I know that Pete is highly knowledgeable about Barling stems, and think it probable that he would have already said if he had doubts about the authenticity of the stem on his pipe.
I guess where this leaves me is the belief that doctorbob's pipes is the "real" Barling 1372, and Pete's either had an authentic Barling replacement stem, or less likely represents an earlier rendition of that shape. Or perhaps it's Pete's scenario, but with his pipe being the one fitted to an unorthodox stem at the factory instead of doctorbob's.
On another topic that came up in the thread: the table I prepared from my notes shows that the first usage of the new sizing nomenclature in the industry annual price list published by Tobacco World appeared in the 1941 edition. That's consistent with the transition I've found so far in contempory advertisements. But I think Pete's point is a good one, and it's possible that changes in nomenclature preceded changes in advertising or publication in trade price lists. If so, however, I'm with Jesse in the belief that it is unlikely to have been by more than a year or two.
Finally, I want to clear up a misconception about UK registered design numbers. They do not represent patents, or pending patents. They are meant to protect "decorative elements" as opposed to the details of "how an item worked". This is an important distinction. In the case of Barling's design 754068, it was registered between April and October of 1930.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Jon
My boo boo. It's 2nd and 3rd digits and I was thinking 3rd and 4th. Dumb... I've got Kaywoodie on the brain. This thought about different shapes being assigned the same model number reminded me of Kaywoodie, who did that.
doctorbob's piece is late '30's - mid '40's based on the type of Baring's Make" stamp pictured and buttressed by the "Made In London" over "England" stamp. So Pete's is going to be later, if anything. Maybe it was a replacement stem. There are a lot of factory stems floating around. My early Barling fossil, the one with the '30's era "Small" Barling logo, no other stampings of any kind, no "Fossil", no model number, no nada, has a factory Barling stem. But that stem has "Barling Design" stamped on it, making it at least 8-10 years newer than the briar. It matches up perfectly with the shank, but that doesn't mean that the factory necessarily did the replacement. Any repairman with a collection of parts could have found one to fit.
Jon, your spreadsheet has the line expansion listed as 1940. You lied to me...
Sorry Buroak, better toss that pipe in the trash...

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I've been married a bit over 26 years, and very rarely do I get the satisfaction of being demonstrably right. I want to cherish it, and hopefully it will carry me through Hanukkah, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and well into 2016.
If you look at the first tab of the spreadsheet I emailed you (and Tad) on 6/17/2013, check row 42. It's line (e) of the notes to the table. It says "Starting in 1941 the sizing nomenclature per the price list changed from small/medium/large/extra large, to ss/s-m/l/el".
I knew there was a reason I saved all my emails.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Not that I wouldn't lie to you if it was worth my while, Jesse. If something important was at stake. Like a cold beer on a hot day, or bragging rights on something totally trivial!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
So, now I have a question, did shape 1372, which became 4219 in the Anniversary Catalog, become Billiard Curvet 4109 in the '62 Retailers Catalog, or was it (10) a different shape than the earlier (21) shape? Inquiring minds......

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you look at the first tab of the spreadsheet I emailed you (and Tad) on 6/17/2013, check row 42. It's line (e) of the notes to the table. It says "Starting in 1941 the sizing nomenclature per the price list changed from small/medium/large/extra large, to ss/s-m/l/el".
So it does. And if you look at column I, for 1940, it shows prices for all those new sizes. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
So, now I have a question, did shape 1372, which became 4219 in the Anniversary Catalog, become Billiard Curvet 4109 in the '62 Retailers Catalog, or was it (10) a different shape than the earlier (21) shape? Inquiring minds......
The DMV Equivalency chart lists a model 4109 - Billiard Curvet - as well as the dratted 4219 - Billiard Slender, so both were in the line. In the 150th Anniversary Catalog it is represented in its saddle bit flat version 4109. In the retailers catalog it's represented in its tapered version, 4105. The overall bowl shape in both catalogs looks consistent. The 4219 doesn't appear in the Retailers Catalog. Keep in mind that the catalogs didn't show the entire line, just a representative sample of their most popular shapes. Also keep in mind that Barling retired shapes. They weren't selling Captain Warrens in 1962. So, the dratted 4219 may have gone the way of the dodo. Or, maybe not. If a Corporate Era 4219 shows up we'll know the answer to that.
So, no, they didn't swap model numbers and shapes. Can you imagine the chaos after renumbering the line and publishing those numbers to their dealers if they immediately started reassigning model numbers?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Looking through the DMV Chart, I did find a 4215, which would have been the tapered stem version. Unfortunately, the Old Barling number is partly missing, but could have been 1128. Jon says that he has a better copy of the list than the one that I have, and likes to torture me by promising that he'll find it and send me a copy. First, though, he has to finish an article on the mummified hand sitting on his desk, and there's that other one about the cigar salesman.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
So, no, they didn't swap model numbers and shapes. Can you imagine the chaos after renumbering the line and publishing those numbers to their dealers if they immediately started reassigning model numbers?
Quite. 8O

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Finally, I want to clear up a misconception about UK registered design numbers. They do not represent patents, or pending patents. They are meant to protect "decorative elements" as opposed to the details of "how an item worked". This is an important distinction. In the case of Barling's design 754068, it was registered between April and October of 1930.
I wasn't aware of the distinction between patent and Red Design numbers, thanks!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Good question. I asked Jesse the same thing. He'll speak for himself, but so far I've found nothing useful.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nothing useful here, either. I've suggested that we add it to the list of items to request from the British Patent Archive. For all I know, it's got something to do with the stem stamp, that being a design element, but it's all just speculation.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Dang! Take your eyes of this thread for a day and it doubles in size.
...you can gnaw on some holiday turkey rather than the origins of your pipe.
Sorry Buroak, better toss that pipe in the trash...
I think I will gnaw on some turkey and keep the pipe well clear of any wastebaskets.
Neverbend, Thank you for spelling out a scenario that offers an accounting of the markings on my pipe. I think the previous owner did indeed treat the pipe as something special.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Jon,
My #1372 stem is hand-cut, rod vulcanite. No remaining nomenclature on the stem but it's been buffed right and wrong side up. I think it's the original stem and I really doubt that this pipe was ever a saddle bit. My #1372 is an 'S-M' to 'L' in size and it appears to be smaller than @DoctorBob in height, bowl width and shank thickness.
The #1372 that I saw on eBay was exactly like mine but in better condition. I've seen this shape in the past but can't recall the shape number.
Possibly both (like mine) were from an in-process batch, that was given the wrong ID, and all or part was stamped as #1372.

Status
Not open for further replies.