PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Mind bleach... I need mind bleach (again)
again just to demonstrate a point. Just be aware that some mind bleaches can be really addictive just saying be careful with the mind bleach. Just remember that every mind bleach bums you see behind the 7-11 all started off just wanting to forget something here or there..... And the worst part is you can't even remember how much mind bleach you've been having.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Words of wisdom picked up from the pipe world...

When I first started going to The Briary and hanging out, I was still learning the basics. As most newbies are, I was not as full of confidence and bravado as I am today. I wasn't comfortable packing my pipe or even lighting it with a room full of experienced pipe smokers looking at me. Then when Skip, the owner, saw me sort of cover my pipe and turn my head when I lit it, said, "Hey, in here, no one tells a cowboy how to ride his horse... unless you ask for help." This meant that no matter how stupid your pipe smoking technique is, you are doing it correctly; however, if you ask, anyone or everyone in the room with help you. The key words were, "If you ask." Meaning, if you see someone doing something you've never seen before, it's just their way, and keep your mouth shut, unless they ask for feedback or help. Then, at that point, no holds barred... everyone is going to have a say.

That said, if out and about with my pipe, and someone wants to say, "hey, you are doing this or that wrong." It's an invitation to getting a metaphorical hole blown through you. I don't care if you just started smoking or you've been doing it for 30 of your 40 years on this ball of mud. So, to give some confidence to the new guys, just ride you horse however you want. There is no right or wrong. But, if you want some tips on riding better or even on how to stay on the damned thing, then feel free to ask... because some of these old cowboys have been looking stupid on their horse for longer than you've been alive.

But, take criticisms with a grain of salt. Every question gets a hundred answers on here, and maybe three of those hundred answers has any grasp on reality. You just have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. Learn to pick out comments that are just meant to be funny, and when someone lays down an insult, it's not yours till you pick it up and put it on.

What are some great words of wisdom you've picked up from the pipe world?

3 out of 100? That is a bit low. Has to be at least 4 out of 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.