New Accessories
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Not sure if this is commonly accepted behavior but I use this small snuff tin for my excess tobacco which I add a fresh portion to so to offset the dry tobacco from previous day(s). I often misjudge portioning for a bowl so the excess ends up in here and for another smoke at some point each day. Seems to work well, at least to my inexperienced palate. I do try to stick to similar styles which isn’t hard as 75% of what I smoke at the moment are VaPers.

E8FEB970-87E1-45F2-A4CF-0165F201DC6F.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
not a bad idea. I usually throw the excess in the trash. It's usually not much but putting it in a sealed container might be great.
Some of my scrap blends turn out to be really good. The other day it was 1/3 brown Clunee, 1/3 old gowrie, and 1/3 Newminster Imperial Nougat. Made an interesting smoke!

I used to throw it out too but then I kept dumping ashtrays that were more tobacco than ash. Figured it’s a big waste especially if it’s a decent tobacco.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Oh man! From the title I thought someone had discovered the mythical never emptying tobacco tin. That sounds like a great idea and a way to have some fun; maybe do a "mystery bowl Monday" smoke.

Jan 27, 2020
not a bad idea. I usually throw the excess in the trash. It's usually not much but putting it in a sealed container might be great.

I think if you have a huge stash of tobacco it’s easy not to think too much about wasting a bit of tobacco here and there... I started this habit because I was really pissed off at myself for letting a small portion of a 7yo tin of Skiff Mix that was gifted to me over dry and found that it did add something pleasant when combined with some VaPer.

Reactions: anotherbob

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
When i pack a bowl i do it over a paper plate. Any excess i have left just goes back in the jar. Why the need for a scraps bucket?
I do not risk contaminating the jar with mold spores...esp in areas with high humidity. Also, as a field scientist, all excess chemicals never go back in the container for contamination risk reasons. A habit that can produce a lot of waste if you are not careful.

Reactions: shanez

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I do not risk contaminating the jar with mold spores...esp in areas with high humidity. Also, as a field scientist, all excess chemicals never go back in the container for contamination risk reasons. A habit that can produce a lot of waste if you are not careful.
I also usually have an amount I grabbed to put in a pouch either a couple flakes or a good pinch of tobacco. It often doesn’t work out to an even number of pipes and I’m certainly not dumping that back with my other jarred tobacco.

Reactions: aquadoc
Jan 27, 2020

I‘ve thought about that too... seems like a possibility.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some thrift is good. It's surprising how well a mix of overflow tobaccos often go together. I've had some mighty fine smoking with something on hand mixed with the last of some other blend. My pottery drying bowl serves this purpose for me. Sometimes the best smoke of the week.

Reactions: shanez and BROBS

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
If im sticking my fingers into the jar to grab the tobacco whats the difference. Are you saying you never put your hand in the jar just pour it out? Ive seen people stick the whole pipe in a jar to fill it. Personally im not worries about contaminating the tobacco. I have enough to worry about.

Reactions: dcon

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If im sticking my fingers into the jar to grab the tobacco whats the difference. Are you saying you never put your hand in the jar just pour it out? Ive seen people stick the whole pipe in a jar to fill it. Personally im not worries about contaminating the tobacco. I have enough to worry about.
That’s not my worry. Mine has been in a pouch riding in my pocket. Often gets a bit crushed etc. I also don’t ever pack a pipe right from the jar it’s too wet.
if you always smoked sitting in a study etc I could see putting it back in the jar. But my tobacco use is usually on the go.
So it’s easier to empty the less-than-a-bowl’s worth onto a tray and put it in my kitchen cabinet.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I never put my hand in the jar. I pour out of the jar onto my tobacco plank (a cutting board that has only seen tobacco) or a clean plate and I wipe it down with alcohol too after I have used it. and I do not worry about it...it is a habit. Nothing more or less. If you stick a spatula into a jar of chemicals, you throw into the be cleaned beaker and grab another if you need more chemicals. Just a habit.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I wash and dry my hands before taking anything out of my jars. I think that’s minimal exposure to potential contamination compared to pulling apart tobacco and rubbing it out etc.