PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
How fitting that on the birthday of America that Netflix would cave to self-censorship brought on by the anti-smoking crowd.
https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/738719658/netflix-promises-to-quit-smoking-on-most-original-programming
Yet it seems like every show and movie I watch glorifies smoking marijuana, no mention of how harmful that is to the youth of America. Nor any mention of how violent shows influence youths either. But smoking, just by watching it on TV it will kill you (fourth-hand smoke?).

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I usually get the urge to buy a pound or two when I see stuff like this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well, smoking is more privilege than right and the majority is mostly non smoking now. Violent TV never influenced me as a child, I just found it entertaining; Star Wars, Terminator, Indiana Jones, etc. Catering to their majority viewers just insures more income. Tobacco is on the downward slope and more of an underground indulgence than main stream. The media just follows cultural developments and accommodates popular cultural trends.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The media just follows cultural developments and accommodates popular cultural trends.
If that's all they wanted to do, simply phasing something out without fanfare or comment would do the trick.
What they did, though, was to "virtue signal" to prove how "woke" and "correct" they are.
Give me a fucking break...
It'll be interesting to see if they digitally remove the endless smoking in Mad Men (their #1 revenue-earner), or merely slap a warning label across the bottom of the screen every time something tobacco related appears.
Or, how they will "justify" doing neither of those things if they leave it alone.
Either way, we can be sure their decision will be flogged endlessly on social media by SOMEONE.
Welcome to Clown World

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I usually get the urge to buy a pound or two when I see stuff like this.
This must be why I was compelled to finally jar up my 2 pounds of Bold Kentucky today.
I remember the beginning of this months ago, talking about the amount of smoking portrayed in The Walking Dead and other shows.
I'm more interested in where all of those smokes were coming from in TWD 8 years after manufacturing had ceased.
Cellaring zombies?
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If that's all they wanted to do, simply phasing something out without fanfare or comment would do the trick.
Like I said, accommodating popular cultural trends. They're just following the money, and we're just not it anymore.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Like I said, accommodating popular cultural trends. They're just following the money, and we're just not it anymore.
Organizations as well as people are learning the hard way that the Digital World's snack-of-choice is a lack of personal integrity and changing your "opinion" to match the breeze direction of the moment. Vapid opportunism is a vile disease, and digital media tattoos it on your face forever more.
a.k.a. The Internet is Forever :rofl:
WARNING --- The following link contains political content. DO NOT WATCH IT if you find that such subjects upset you, or negatively affect you in any way. I am using it strictly as an example of my non-political point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBOdt30ABJE&feature=youtu.be

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Organizations as well as people are learning the hard way that the Digital World's snack-of-choice is a lack of personal integrity and changing your "opinion" to match the breeze direction of the moment. Vapid opportunism is a vile disease, and digital media tattoos it on your face forever more.
Been that way for decades. Remember the pro smoking campaigns where celebrities were hired to mascot cigarette companies and all the advertised pleasure of smoking? Media has always been used to manipulate mass opinion. Some know what they are looking at but most sadly are influenced by it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
a.k.a. The Internet is Forever
I'm so thankful to have grown up in the age where the Polaroid Instamatic was the closest we got to immediate, indelible documentation of our youthful transgressions.
I'd be blackballed to hell and back if most of my adolescent stupidity were etched in cyber-stone.
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Based on estimated viewership of these programs, results suggest that approximately 28 million young people were exposed to tobacco through television and streaming programs in these most popular shows alone," the group said. "That exposure is a significant public health concern, because viewing tobacco use in on-screen entertainment media is a critical factor associated with young people starting to smoke."
A 2014 report by the U.S. Surgeon General concluded "an R-rating for movies with smoking would avert one million tobacco deaths among today's children and adolescents."
One crock of shit after another. The SG's report defies logic. Or simply, I cannot believe smoking causes a million deaths among teens. Though it's some undefined time frame.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Unless Netflix or the Truth Initiative can censor the cigarettes and e-cigs hanging out of their friends and families mouths the statistics are not going to improve. Teenagers don't want to look/act like Don Draper. They want to look/act just like their peers.
They don't get any feedback or inclusion from Mr. Draper.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Teenagers don't want to look/act like Don Draper. They want to look/act just like their peers.
What an outrageous lie!
There absolutely no truth whatsoever in it.
"Look and act JUST like their peers?" I think not. The shade of blue varies by three percent, and the facial hardware position varies according to the free-thinking-person's whim.
So there!
:rofl:
Screen-Shot-2019-05-17-at-2-39-47-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-05-19-at-7-08-56-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-05-19-at-7-12-53-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-05-20-at-10-51-53-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-05-23-at-6-51-29-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-08-at-6-45-06-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-30-at-11-11-48-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-07-04-at-1-16-08-PM.png

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think that we should loudly proclaim that no one should smoke a pipe, especially teenagers, that out to have them searching every crack and crevice for some. F***k we sound like a bunch of crotchety old bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.