PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That PM was (literally) outrageous, and a misuse of the website's resources. My initial reaction was to suspect

drunkenness or some sort of bi-polar disorder problem. But no matter, the mod(s) should reconsider banning him

from further use of the website. I wonder how this situation would evolve if the offender publicly apologized to

Pipe Novelist?

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Pipe Novelist: Wow. I'm shocked by the situation.
I agree with the above. Culprit should be outed, it'd be nice if that were done by a Mod though. Also, he should be forced to apologize. Also, he should then be banned. Or, she.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I am perplexed, recently a forum member was outed on here for fraudulant behaviour and apperantly will be facing criminal charges. This person was banned. Not too long ago a netorious meerchaum salesman was banned for comments very similar to what Pipenovelist was subjected too. So my question is what is the criteria for being banned? In many states and provinces the OP could take the evidence and have this unamed person charged with uttering a threat. In fact much less has landed teens in trouble with the law in Ontario recently. I would encourage our mods to re-examine their decision. I think if taken to tribal council this person would be voted off the island. Oh and just to be clear if the unamed tough guy would like to turn these same threats on myself or my family the least of your worries friend would be getting the boot from a pipe forum. Not all pipe smokers fall under the older kindly gentleman. Given the thread recently on daily carry items I venture a guess that I am not the only one that has a violent streak when my family is threatened even in posturing. Lets do the right thing mods and show a good man that this crap will not be tolerated. We have your back pipenovelist!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That PM really is disturbing. There is a very serious line that is crossed when it comes to threats...especially threats such as are in that msg. It’s one thing when people get angry over something, or even resort to name calling and profanity (which is all bad enough)...but it’s a whole different ballgame when stuff like that is said. Something seriously wrong there.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Wow.... What a childish and immature PM sent to someone who always contributed to posts.. Seems we are beseiged by low lifes and thieves in our hobby as of late.. Pipe Novelist, you are the better man and I for one would not like to see you go... However, it will ultimately be your decision alone and persons like this should not be allowed on the forum... Recent change in legislature here in Texas has now included "Non Verbal" threats as harassment ie: "Mean Mugging".. This statement to you via PM could possibly be a violation in your state...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Kevin has asked that we close this thread (for now) until he has a chance to review it.
We Mods don't believe it to be our place to comment on its contents.

However; we do believe that this could quickly get out of hand.
So, Kevin will review this on the morrow, probably sometime after mid-day (which will be his earliest opportunity).
Thanks everyone.

:puffy:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Ok folks. I'm here. This was brought to my attention late last night while I was at a charity fundraiser for paralyzed vets, which then followed into a late-night afterparty. Plus, I also had an overnight guest from out of town. That is why I'm just getting to this now. Thank you for your patience.
First, something that generally irks me is when people refer to something like it happened much more recently than it really did.
It was NOT "Some months ago..."
The PM in reference goes back to 4/27/12 - that's 1.5 years ago - (17 months).
Here are the rest of the facts without opinion.
1. The PM of 4/27/12 was brought to my attention. I banned the member that sent it and deleted his account. (I am the only one that can delete and ban members. Mods cannot.)
2. The banned member pleaded with me to let him back, and had other individuals contact me asking to give him another chance.
3. Policy is that once you are banned, you can't come back.
4. No one that has ever been banned has been allowed back, knowingly, or on purpose.
5. On 9/23/2012 (over a year ago), somehow the guy was able to sign up again, and the mods and I all missed it until he had been around for some time, maybe a few weeks to a month or so.
6. He has been a model citizen in the forums ever since.
Those are the facts.
I do not know why it took over a year for this to be brought up as an issue, but since it has been that long, it pretty much negates it as an issue as far as I'm concerned.
That's the final word.

Status
Not open for further replies.