PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Still learning…. However, now that I’ve found my favorite tobacco blends (English and Perique blends), still trying different ones, but really enjoying the ones I’ve tried. Now I’m going to throw out a question about pipes and shapes. I’m noticing a difference in how my favorite tobacco’s pack, burn, and taste, in different pipes. I’ll start by saying that I have some relatively inexpensive pipes of different size and shape. My wife bought me a Nording Freehand and it seems to smoke great, no matter what I put in it. I’m ready to purchase a couple more pipes (better quality, but don’t want to break the bank). Can any of you recommend some good pipes that I might consider that will do justice to my favorite blends. On a side note… I’m finding that most all my pipes smoke Virginia forward blends pretty hot and I get a lot of tongue bite and an ashy taste. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reactions: kcghost

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The French pipes Ropp and Genod have good quality at moderate prices. Kaywoodie pipes seem to have held up in quality despite their waning presence in the market; some people think they're not so good, but I have been entirely satisfied.

The Chicago pipe shop Iwan Ries has house pipes made by Genod in a variety of shapes for $64, which I think is a good deal.

I'd buy one pipe at at time, and focus on each purchase. Perhaps pick out four or five candidates and then winnow it down to one, so you develop familiarity and a line of thought on what you want in pipes.

I think the Nording freehand pipes are good -- ample chambers and tasteful design. I have a signature pipe I like a lot.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
How you pack your pipe will have more of an effect on how the tobacco burns more than anything.

If you ask 10 different people you will probably get 10 different answers, but you can not go wrong with Stanwell. I have several Stanwells that we’re all purchased in the $50-$100 price range that are good smokers - drilled spot on, no issues with fit/finish, and minimal to no “break-in.”

Not sure what you consider breaking the bank, but there are plenty of options - Ropp, Rossi, Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, Missouri Meerschaum, and sub $100 Peterson and Savinelli. At the lower price range do not expect much as far as grain goes but you should be able to pickup a decently drilled pipe.

Reactions: Relax62

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
How you pack your pipe will have more of an effect on how the tobacco burns more than anything.

If you ask 10 different people you will probably get 10 different answers, but you can not go wrong with Stanwell. I have several Stanwells that we’re all purchased in the $50-$100 price range that are good smokers - drilled spot on, no issues with fit/finish, and minimal to no “break-in.”

Not sure what you consider breaking the bank, but there are plenty of options - Ropp, Rossi, Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, Missouri Meerschaum, and sub $100 Peterson and Savinelli. At the lower price range do not expect much as far as grain goes but you should be able to pickup a decently drilled pipe.
I’m planning to spend between $75-100. The airflow of my Nording Freehand is superior to any other pipe I own, and smokes cool and consistent, except Virginia forward blends. I’m curious if a different shape, wall thickness, pipe length, etc… is something I need to consider? I’m not huge on Virginia’s at this point, but most good blends contain a fair amount, so trying to figure out the issue. I use the breath method and feel like I’m taking it easy… but maybe need to slow down more, or pack differently.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Latakia blends, you are looking for relatively wide chamber. Looking for even coverage of embers to smoke all the components of the blend. VA blends are usually simple in components. Narrow chamber accentuate the simple blend. But main thing is as mentioned, VA burns hotter. Individual's technique has to be little refined. You'll have to be able to control your cadence better to enjoy it more without the tongue bite.

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
I’m planning to spend between $75-100. The airflow of my Nording Freehand is superior to any other pipe I own, and smokes cool and consistent, except Virginia forward blends. I’m curious if a different shape, wall thickness, pipe length, etc… is something I need to consider? I’m not huge on Virginia’s at this point, but most good blends contain a fair amount, so trying to figure out the issue. I use the breath method and feel like I’m taking it easy… but maybe need to slow down more, or pack differently.

I've never smoked a Nording Freehand, but have heard many good things. I had a similar experience when i started and wanted something with thicker walls for VA's as I was figuring out a good cadence. I went with a Savinelli 311KS, because it looked like it had slightly thicker walls and I really like the poker shape! It worked really well, and got me too a point where i don't really worry about which pipe I smoke my Virginia's in, other than the fact some pipes bring out flavors better than others.

As a side note, the Sav 320KS shape is pretty popular for english blends, or just rich or bold blends, because of the deep and wide bowl. I have one of those as well and definitely agree with the masses.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
You can‘t go wrong with Savinelli, Peterson and Stanwell. All of them make good smoking pipes starting at under $100 US. For a little more money, you can step up to estate pipes from some of the Italian hand-crafters like Ascorti, Radice, Mastro de Paja, l’Anatra, and Il Ceppo, as well as estate pipes from such English hand-crafters as Ashton, Upshall and Ferndown, in addition to Americans such as Mark Tinsky and Randy Wiley. As you can see, there is a lot to choose from.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Just to counter some of the above advice, you may find that a thin walled pipe will help you smoke cooler, simply because you will feel when the pipe is getting too hot - your pipe should never be too hot to hold. There are so many threads about smoking slow and cool, but really you want to be sipping and barely drawing, rather than puffing.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
You can‘t go wrong with Savinelli, Peterson and Stanwell. All of them make good smoking pipes starting at under $100 US. For a little more money, you can step up to estate pipes from some of the Italian hand-crafters like Ascorti, Radice, Mastro de Paja, l’Anatra, and Il Ceppo, as well as estate pipes from such English hand-crafters as Ashton, Upshall and Ferndown, in addition to Americans such as Mark Tinsky and Randy Wiley. As you can see, there is a lot to choose from.
One of my favs so far has been an estate Il Ceppo. Not sure if it is just good luck with that particular piece or briar, the fact that it was well seasoned with carbon cake, or the chamber shape, but it has smoked really well.
My experience is nowhere near others, but am getting to the point where I’ve tried a decent amount of new and estate pipes. Some pipes just seem to have the juju

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
I think there are a few routes you can take, all at the same time if you want. There are factory pipes (like Peterson's, Savinelli, and Stanwell), larger brand artisan pipes like your Nording, and artisan pipes from individual makers like Glenn Tinsky and Rich from Smithhousepipes. You'll find fantastic smokers in all categories and at very reasonable prices. For example, you can find excellent, under-the-radar, artisan pipemakers online with pipes anywhere from $100-$400.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Latakia blends, you are looking for relatively wide chamber. Looking for even coverage of embers to smoke all the components of the blend. VA blends are usually simple in components. Narrow chamber accentuate the simple blend. But main thing is as mentioned, VA burns hotter. Individual's technique has to be little refined. You'll have to be able to control your cadence better to enjoy it more without the tongue bite.
Thank you! I feel like I’m really taking it slow when smoking… I barely keep the embers going and don’t produce a lot of smoke. I’ll keep at it because I really enjoy the ones that I can finally taste! Plus the whole experience is extremely satisfying and relaxing!

Reactions: bullet08

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
I think there are a few routes you can take, all at the same time if you want. There are factory pipes (like Peterson's, Savinelli, and Stanwell), larger brand artisan pipes like your Nording, and artisan pipes from individual makers like Glenn Tinsky and Rich from Smithhousepipes. You'll find fantastic smokers in all categories and at very reasonable prices. For example, you can find excellent, under-the-radar, artisan pipemakers online with pipes anywhere from $100-$400.
This is a really great point as wel. I wish i had known how many pipemakers were making fantastic handmades at reasonable prices before i bought so many factory pipes. Instagram has been the easiest way of finding these guys for me.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
This is a really great point as wel. I wish i had known how many pipemakers were making fantastic handmades at reasonable prices before i bought so many factory pipes. Instagram has been the easiest way of finding these guys for me.
100% in agreement here!
So many talented pipe makers. Yes they can be a bump up in the price, but well worth it. A few guys I’ve been made aware of through buddy and pipe guru Frank (AKpiper) are SmithHouse, Eclesias, SederCraft