PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Peterson ad Savinelli are fine. However, if you can just spend a little bit more buy a Radice (new or estate). For about $200 you can buy a incredibly well made, handmade and lifetime lasting pipe. All of that and a beautiful uncoated bowl (in new and unsmoked pipes). It really is worth the extra dough if you can swing it. Good luck
^^^ This, absolutely.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Still learning….

On a side note… I’m finding that most all my pipes smoke Virginia forward blends pretty hot and I get a lot of tongue bite and an ashy taste. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
A couple of different takes -
If you really want to learn, get a clay or thin walled briar - that will teach you to smoke cool

If you want a short cut (not really recommended) then buy any thick-walled briar.
And preferably one that takes a filter

Reactions: Relax62

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
For the money, I think Neerup pipes are the best out there. Straightforward ones are about $130-$150. I have three and have never had to deal with a break in period. I watch for any new ones that are for sale because if another catches my eye, I will buy it in a heartbeat. It really depends on the style you like.

Reactions: Relax62

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Still learning…. However, now that I’ve found my favorite tobacco blends (English and Perique blends), still trying different ones, but really enjoying the ones I’ve tried. Now I’m going to throw out a question about pipes and shapes. I’m noticing a difference in how my favorite tobacco’s pack, burn, and taste, in different pipes. I’ll start by saying that I have some relatively inexpensive pipes of different size and shape. My wife bought me a Nording Freehand and it seems to smoke great, no matter what I put in it. I’m ready to purchase a couple more pipes (better quality, but don’t want to break the bank). Can any of you recommend some good pipes that I might consider that will do justice to my favorite blends. On a side note… I’m finding that most all my pipes smoke Virginia forward blends pretty hot and I get a lot of tongue bite and an ashy taste. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Not being snarky at all - just scroll through a month or two of the WAYS threads - a cornucopia of ideas!

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
C7B51D66-C209-4CF7-B6A2-A6832867F008.jpeg
Morgan Bones are good pipes for $35-45. Natural finish & usually with a pit or 2, but they smoke well & color up nicely. They make some nicer ones for $125 & up too. As mentioned before, Rossi & Peterson are well made & can be bought for <$100, especially if you can find them on sale or estate sales. A good cob is a must, IMO, for trying out aromatics. If you wanna get fancy with a cob, there’s several folks that customize them & charge <$70. Check out the Low end & affordable pipes group on FB.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Savinelli as you've seen recommended is a well made excellent pipe experience. But if you find yourself attracted to the shape, but not the price, you can look at the Rossi brand which is really a Savinelli, but their budget brand. I own both Sav and Rossi, for the money, you can't go wrong.

If the Savinelli model number is something like 320ks, search for the Rossi using a similar number sequence. In Rossi, the 320ks is an 8320.

Reactions: PaulRVA and Relax62

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
You could pick up a Falcon stem and 2 bowls for under $100 and then it will be like having 2 pipes. Just skip the dry rings and cut a piece of pipe cleaner. The look is not for everyone but they smoke well and you can dedicate bowls and use the same stem. An affordable, utilitarian option.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
A couple of different takes -
If you really want to learn, get a clay or thin walled briar - that will teach you to smoke cool

If you want a short cut (not really recommended) then buy any thick-walled briar.
And preferably one that takes a filter
Good advice! I’m not one to cut corners, I want to learn the right way and fully enjoy all of my pipes. I just don’t understand… I feel like I’m smoking very slowly (almost to the point of it going out), and still gets hot, tongue bite, and taste like ask. This occurs with Virginia forward blends and aros. I really, really enjoy my Virginia blends for the first 1/8 to 1/4 of the bowl, then it goes bad. Any suggestions??

Reactions: PaulRVA

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Savinelli as you've seen recommended is a well made excellent pipe experience. But if you find yourself attracted to the shape, but not the price, you can look at the Rossi brand which is really a Savinelli, but their budget brand. I own both Sav and Rossi, for the money, you can't go wrong.

If the Savinelli model number is something like 320ks, search for the Rossi using a similar number sequence. In Rossi, the 320ks is an 8320.
Thank you! I’ve been looking at the Rossi, and some of the others mentioned in this thread.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Good advice! I’m not one to cut corners, I want to learn the right way and fully enjoy all of my pipes. I just don’t understand… I feel like I’m smoking very slowly (almost to the point of it going out), and still gets hot, tongue bite, and taste like ask. This occurs with Virginia forward blends and aros. I really, really enjoy my Virginia blends for the first 1/8 to 1/4 of the bowl, then it goes bad. Any suggestions??
It's not so much to do with speed per se, it's more to do with how you're drawing. Honestly, the best advice is to just put it in your mouth, breathe through your nose, and forget about it. You can keep a pipe lit without even really drawing on it.

Reactions: Relax62 and PaulRVA

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Luckily I don’t get tongue bite
But I do get a “prickle” when lighting up certain blends - aromatics, Semois and certain Virginia forward blends, much like you.
But only on lighting. It dissipates very quickly.

My take is it‘s because of the higher temperature when lighting.
I find that getting the tobacco really dry helps in that the tobacco lights quicker and more easily.

Reactions: Relax62 and PaulRVA

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
Check out Andrey Kharitonov. He is on Facebook. He makes beautiful shapes. I have 12 of his pipes. Price friendly and the best consistent smoke I have ever had. He is a definite win win. A retired scientist gone pipe maker. I don’t purchase any other pipes now. A great artisan.

Reactions: sfduke and Relax62

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Something i have been meaning to do! Have any website/maker recommendations?
Another vote for adding a meer to your stable.

I have 4, all of which are from Altinay, and all of which smoke great. I find they work very well with English or Latakia-forward blends. I typically prefer briar for Virginia blends, but that must just be me, as I've conversed with others who swear by meers for VAs.