Need Enlightenment on "Black Frigate" tobacco.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I like a blast of perique in the morning, with my cold coffee and prefer a shorter smoke, certainly no longer than 30 minutes. I use more lat based tobaccos in the afternoon, and evening have my longest smoke where I prefer a milder aromatic, or now mild Orientals, such as Amphora Abslolute (Full Aroma in the US). The evening for me is the time to be pensive.

I have two regular morning tobaccos, a fine but bracing offering from Tobacco Barn called "Rockwell" which is a Navy style tobacco. Unfortunately Tobacco Barn is being sold right now, supply is not there, and I have only four ounces of this left. My other morning tobacco is my new flame, "Mad Fiddler", which although indeed heavy on the perique (it's not called Mad Fiddler because it's mild) but it's also very subtle in nuance and really deserves a longer smoke than I'd like to give so I sometimes use it in the afternoon when I'm a bit more pensive.

In looking for a third morning tobacco, I read about C&Ds "Black Frigate" and it seems to be a real candidate. Can any users of this tobacco enlighten me on this product? I've ordered a 2 oz tin but it won't be arriving for a week or six, depending on the whims of the shipping companies. Hoping it'll be the one to round out my morning smoke.

Thanks.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I still have some tins left. For my taste, it is a good tobacco, it is not heavy in latakia, so it is a pleasant smoke, with a fantastic aromatic note. I believe you will not be disappointed. If you like latakia blends.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbfrady and gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I still have some tins left. For my taste, it is a good tobacco, it is not heavy in latakia, so it is a pleasant smoke, with a fantastic aromatic note. I believe you will not be disappointed. If you like latakia blends.
Thanks. I have hopes from the vendor's description. I love latakia blends and usually smoke them in the afternoon. Mad Fiddler is also a fantastic tobacco but not for all tastes. I chose it initially because I was a former (now retired) professional violinist, and as the tin says, I'm a Mad Fiddler and also (according to many) a flake. That it turns out to be one of my very favorite tobaccos was not planned but a happy accident. I'm hoping the same for Black Frigate. :)

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
If perique is your thing in the morning, consider SG Cabbies Mixture/Roll Cut - if you can find any. I'm really only trying many other blends to distract me from it, it's too moreish.
And if you can’t find that, golden teeth from a Congolese Hen might be easier to find.

Not sure if you’re hip to LJ Peretti tobaccos or not but their London Flake is stellar in the morning and always in stock.

Also, Watch City Cigar is not fucking around. If you haven’t already, getcha some 558 Flake, Old Dominion Flake and Old Black Magic. $6.50/ounce and always in stock.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I like a blast of perique in the morning, with my cold coffee and prefer a shorter smoke, certainly no longer than 30 minutes. I use more lat based tobaccos in the afternoon, and evening have my longest smoke where I prefer a milder aromatic, or now mild Orientals, such as Amphora Abslolute (Full Aroma in the US). The evening for me is the time to be pensive.

I have two regular morning tobaccos, a fine but bracing offering from Tobacco Barn called "Rockwell" which is a Navy style tobacco. Unfortunately Tobacco Barn is being sold right now, supply is not there, and I have only four ounces of this left. My other morning tobacco is my new flame, "Mad Fiddler", which although indeed heavy on the perique (it's not called Mad Fiddler because it's mild) but it's also very subtle in nuance and really deserves a longer smoke than I'd like to give so I sometimes use it in the afternoon when I'm a bit more pensive.

In looking for a third morning tobacco, I read about C&Ds "Black Frigate" and it seems to be a real candidate. Can any users of this tobacco enlighten me on this product? I've ordered a 2 oz tin but it won't be arriving for a week or six, depending on the whims of the shipping companies. Hoping it'll be the one to round out my morning smoke.

Thanks

Are you implying that yout fiddler is only mildly frustrated?

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
However, I also smoke C&D Byzantium, and Pirate Kake, Mississippi Mud, these three stronger, devastating latakia bombs, that take you to hell itself, not carrying that touch of virginia, which would make it sweeter. However, I love them. I am not going to recommend them to you, hahahahahahahahahahaha
Pirate Kake is in my top 3 faves. Have 5 more tins on order. The other 2 you "recommended" will be investigated.

• Love
Reactions: BingBong and JOHN72
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC

Thanks.
You might try C&D Bayou Morning. It's got a fair amount of the cajun leaf

Reactions: gord and JOHN72

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Blow the dust from atop this here tome and bury your head until ye get yer sea legs....

Forum Sig.png

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I like Black Frigate, but it's not a perique blend, as cajun spice is decidedly missing. It's more an aromatic than anything. Very rummy. There is latakia in there, but it's far from the star of the show. A mild English soaked in rum would be how I describe it.