Need Enlightenment on "Black Frigate" tobacco.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I can't say much for the modern stuff but stock from at least ten years ago is great.

View attachment 319840
You aint gonna believe this, but each of those 2 oz tins in BC costs over $100 dollars. Need to stop whining about this but I do read reviews, and ask about a certain tobacco cuz I think it might work for me. Over and above the $12 a tin we have to pay for premium stuff is all duty.

And if it don't run the gauntlet, we have to pay the duty or forfeit the shipment.
I realize I need to stop whining about this but on a limited pension, I simply cannot afford to pay almost $600 duty on a shipment of 4 tins of tobacco. Each shipment costs us in BC the amount you'd pay, plus shipping which is usually more than the product itself.

We have the highest tobacco tax IN THE WORLD, so I have been told. Ive looked and haven't found any place higher. It ain't easy to buy Peasey.

I love all of the suggestions, believe me. And I list them and will be able to get them at about one a month, two or three if all goes well. As I said above, I'm just whining . . . but seeing all of that Black Frigate in that photo tells me bundles. :) It'll be the next one I buy to try, and hopefully add it to my "library" of morning tobaccos, shown by a guy who really likes the stuff! I'm pretty sure after reading his post I will, too!!

By the way, I've ordered a tin. It's not available anywhere in BC that I can ascertain. At our prices, our poor tobacconists can only stock what they know will move. That's another reason to support them when I can.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You aint gonna believe this, but each of those 2 oz tins in BC costs over $100 dollars. Need to stop whining about this but I do read reviews, and ask about a certain tobacco cuz I think it might work for me. Over and above the $12 a tin we have to pay for premium stuff is all duty.

And if it don't run the gauntlet, we have to pay the duty or forfeit the shipment.
I realize I need to stop whining about this but on a limited pension, I simply cannot afford to pay almost $600 duty on a shipment of 4 tins of tobacco. Each shipment costs us in BC the amount you'd pay, plus shipping which is usually more than the product itself.

We have the highest tobacco tax IN THE WORLD, so I have been told. Ive looked and haven't found any place higher. It ain't easy to buy Peasey.

I love all of the suggestions, believe me. And I list them and will be able to get them at about one a month, two or three if all goes well. As I said above, I'm just whining . . . but seeing all of that Black Frigate in that photo tells me bundles. :) It'll be the next one I buy to try, and hopefully add it to my "library" of morning tobaccos, shown by a guy who really likes the stuff! I'm pretty sure after reading his post I will, too!!

By the way, I've ordered a tin. It's not available anywhere in BC that I can ascertain. At our prices, our poor tobacconists can only stock what they know will move. That's another reason to support them when I can.
I've been smoking it since the late '90s and enjoy it quite a bit.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Beautiful British Columbia 🤑

• Haha
Reactions: gord

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
If you feel like buying bulk & can get it shipped to you, I’ve found C&D’s Poplar Camp to be more to my tastes than Bayou Morning. Mountain Camp is pretty fantastic as well. It’s supposed to be Bayou Night with the proportions of the Perique & Lat reversed, so it more Lat forward. +1 for Joie de Vivre & Mad Fiddler is worth the extra time.
I haven’t tried Black Frigate but every time I decide to give it a day in court, it’s sold out. So someone must like it!

Reactions: gord