PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Welp. I received an unsolicited offer of publication from my second reader, editor of a lit journal. That was a surprise. Think I might celebrate by adding to the cellar. Or maybe a pipe to remember the moment.
You need to work on how to celebrate - you get a pipe AND add a fine blend to add to the cellar and savor them both. Get something liquid from the other cellar! Rookies …..

• Haha
Reactions: Yadkin1765

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Welp. I received an unsolicited offer of publication from my second reader, editor of a lit journal. That was a surprise. Think I might celebrate by adding to the cellar. Or maybe a pipe to remember the moment.
Wonderful! I forgot, did you have a title at this point? I’d have to go back to page one. Congratulations!

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
Wonderful! I forgot, did you have a title at this point? I’d have to go back to page one. Congratulations!
Didn't post the title.
Full Working Title is

The Pale Usher Presents:

Magical Etymologies

Melville’s Unsplinterable Glasses and Moby-Dick’s Secret Living Self-Portrait​

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Now I’m not saying your prose isn’t pro, but I’d rather be adrift at sea considering cannibalism than read the whole thing.

Cliff Note - Moby Dick is pretentious and the only people who like it are afraid of being called pretentious.

The Heart of the Sea is much much better.
I once read how the story bombed when introduced. And that was presented as people didn't know what a good thing they had. I took it as they got it right the first time. Though his story about the Skrivner (type of office work) is pretty great.

Reactions: Yadkin1765

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
"Call me Ishmael." Those three little words started the worst torturous required reading beset upon us in high school, being: Moby Dick.

What makes Melville's work nearly unreadable to most is the unending nonsense about the biology of whales, which just goes on and on and on and on...

So, we "cheated" and instead read the abridged "Illustrated Classics" version of the book - MUCH more palatable without all the cetological chapters in there which bog the story down - and, we all got very good marks on the tests.

When having to choose between pointless suffering and not, choose "not"; and, read the abridged version. - Sherm Natman