PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You have given me a wealth of information sir. Sun will not be an issue as my rack will be on a north-facing wall. I ended up getting a 24-pipe rack by Decatur from Etsy. I understand the lower rack will probably be limited to straight pipes. At least half of mine are straight. The other half will go above. And I will have room for growth. Thanks for your lengthy and considerate response. Most informative.
Glad I could help.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I cut the O holes into U-shapes with a jigsaw, for my larger, bent pipes.
I like the Fairfax brand racks, they pop up often on Ebay or Etsy.
Al, that will only work on single tier racks. The ones I'm referring to have two and three tiers. A U cannot be cut because the O hole is nowhere near an edge. Each O is behind the divot for the bowl above.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mine aren't for sale, but Fairfax racks are fairly common on Ebay and Etsy, noticable by the egg-shaped bowl rests. They come in 6 and 12, perhaps larger.
15 minutes with a jigsaw, 5 minutes with a sanding drum to smooth the cuts and then wipe on some stain with a piece of cloth, gets you in business for pretty much any pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, that will only work on single tier racks. The ones I'm referring to have two and three tiers. A U cannot be cut because the O hole is nowhere near an edge. Each O is behind the divot for the bowl above.
I guess it depends on the style of multi-tier rack. One one like this, it would work. I think a cutting disc with a Dremel might be even better than the jigsw.

1651029307377.png

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I guess it depends on the style of multi-tier rack. One one like this, it would work. I think a cutting disc with a Dremel might be even better than the jigsw.

View attachment 142227
That would be a perfect candidate for your cut out modification. I prefaced my statement with "Depending on the style of the Decatur cut ..." because some of their multi-tiered models have the top tier with a U cut, but the tier(s) below have an O cut behind the divot on the same level.