Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Rich Beaudet

Lurker
Mar 25, 2022
Albion, RI
Looking for a reasonably-priced rack that'll hold 15 pipes or so. Wall-mounted is preferable but counter-top will do. Anybody have one they can part with or have a source I can check out? I've seen a couple out there but they were Chinese and I don't trust them to hold up or last for any great length of time.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've picked up two cheap racks by Decantur on Ebay, about $20 each.

My favorite has a glass jar attached next to the rack for my everyday tobacco choice. The jar holds about 5 ounces of ribbon cut and the rack has a spot for 6 pipes. I would recommend it.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Well then, look no further than:

angelyne.jpg

In the interest of relevance to the thread, this rack is guaranteed to hold at least one pipe, though not very well, not for particularly long, and not without adverse effects e.g. restraining order etc.

Consider yourself warned/inspired.

• Haha
Reactions: Latakia Dave
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Try Etsy and search for pipe racks, you will find some excellent stuff.
Awhile back, on Etsy, I commissioned a sixteen pipe rack by JIEZAWOODstudio in China. I had to wait a little bit because he needed to photograph it for his shop (my rack is the one used for his photos of the sixteen pipe rack with tin storage below) and am very happy with it. Its width better accommodates my wider pipes than my twenty-four or thirty-six Decatur racks, which are narrow (they're from a different era when pipes tended to be smaller). My biggest complaint about the Decatur racks is that any lower rows that have holes for stems can mostly only fit straight pipes.

Reactions: Rich Beaudet

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I prefer wracks that are enclosed with glass doors that are either tinted or made of stained glass. My main rack is a Savinelli Burlwood that holds 36 pipes. I have never had an issue with it in over 20 years. The sun will discolor Ebonite/vulcanite stems fairly easy and de oxidizing them is a pain in the ass. The sun can also mess with the staining on the pipe if stored in direct sunlight.
I have a 15 count rack with glass doors that keeps the sun out and it is sitting empty since I redid my pipe collection. I am in not in the market to sell it unless of course you "made me an offer I couldn't refuse". Or if you left a horses head in my bed.
Seriously, I have 6 or so of the cheaper round racks that are good for my largest pipes. Only one is in use as I sold over 60 pipes so they collect dust in a cabinet somewhere.
I am lucky that in my living room where my pipes are, all the glass doors are well tinted since I live in Florida, but I still wouldn't put my best pipes in those racks with no glass.

I think you should do your due diligence and based on the type of pipes you own and how far you are into the hobby, a custom made rack may work best. If you think you only need a 15 count rack, guess again. That 15 count will get filled up quite quickly. I would also make sure to get a wrack makers references and I would get three quotes at least before purchasing. One more thing, some racks can only fit medium to small pipes, leaving your larger pipes in the cold. If you work with a custom maker, make sure you discuss that issue and maybe send him one of your largest pipes as guide for him.

I forgot to mention, I would never buy a rack from anywhere but the U.S. I wouldn't trust any Chinese rack as you have no idea what kind of noxious wood they may use. Call me a homer, but I always try to buy American even if I have to pay a bit more.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I cut the O holes into U-shapes with a jigsaw, for my larger, bent pipes.
I like the Fairfax brand racks, they pop up often on Ebay or Etsy.
Depending on the style of the Decatur cut, you may only be able to fit straight stem pipes on the lower level that has holes for stems (as opposed to notches). Depending on the length of a bent pipe, you can turn them backwards and fit bent pipes in the ones with holes.

Rich Beaudet

Lurker
Mar 25, 2022
Albion, RI
I prefer wracks that are enclosed with glass doors that are either tinted or made of stained glass. My main rack is a Savinelli Burlwood that holds 36 pipes. I have never had an issue with it in over 20 years. The sun will discolor Ebonite/vulcanite stems fairly easy and de oxidizing them is a pain in the ass. The sun can also mess with the staining on the pipe if stored in direct sunlight.
I have a 15 count rack with glass doors that keeps the sun out and it is sitting empty since I redid my pipe collection. I am in not in the market to sell it unless of course you "made me an offer I couldn't refuse". Or if you left a horses head in my bed.
Seriously, I have 6 or so of the cheaper round racks that are good for my largest pipes. Only one is in use as I sold over 60 pipes so they collect dust in a cabinet somewhere.
I am lucky that in my living room where my pipes are, all the glass doors are well tinted since I live in Florida, but I still wouldn't put my best pipes in those racks with no glass.

I think you should do your due diligence and based on the type of pipes you own and how far you are into the hobby, a custom made rack may work best. If you think you only need a 15 count rack, guess again. That 15 count will get filled up quite quickly. I would also make sure to get a wrack makers references and I would get three quotes at least before purchasing. One more thing, some racks can only fit medium to small pipes, leaving your larger pipes in the cold. If you work with a custom maker, make sure you discuss that issue and maybe send him one of your largest pipes as guide for him.

I forgot to mention, I would never buy a rack from anywhere but the U.S. I wouldn't trust any Chinese rack as you have no idea what kind of noxious wood they may use. Call me a homer, but I always try to buy American even if I have to pay a bit more.
You have given me a wealth of information sir. Sun will not be an issue as my rack will be on a north-facing wall. I ended up getting a 24-pipe rack by Decatur from Etsy. I understand the lower rack will probably be limited to straight pipes. At least half of mine are straight. The other half will go above. And I will have room for growth. Thanks for your lengthy and considerate response. Most informative.

Reactions: anotherbob

Rich Beaudet

Lurker
Mar 25, 2022
Albion, RI
Fairfax rack original and cut. I have 12 of these in my cabinet

Very nice work.
Fairfax rack original and cut. I have 12 of these in my cabinet

Very nice work. If you were selling these I would need 3 of them but I feel like the substantial backs would just be too much wood on the wall. I may have to resort to something like you've done on my Decatur rack. Thanks for the suggestion.