Need a Couple of Noob Recommendations . . . .

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Thanks!

Prince George is a surprising town. (was? - times have changed!!). It had a fine Symphony Orchestra, It has a highly rated University, the University of Northern British Columbia, which has almost 3000 students if I remember correctly, and in the days of Northwood Pulp Ltd., back in the nineties, more millionaires per capita than any other city in North America.

Unfortunately, we now can't cut down trees, have an import orchestra of students and young pros from Vancouver, and the university currently produces the usual snowflakes. And down the list of degradation it goes. I came up here to fish and hunt and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle rather than taking up residence in a big city. I chose that path in 1998, when I was at the peak of my career.

It's sad, really. But I'm sure what I just said is known to most of you in your own home towns.

I'm 73, and in my twilight, but God willing will at least see directional change in the current madness that passes for civilization. Hope the same for all of you as well! Cheers! :)
I grew up in Alberta and lived in B.C for a while. I haven’t been to Prince George since the early/mid 90’s. From what I remember I imagine it’s a decent place to retire.

Reactions: JOHN72 and gord

ItsKarl

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2024
Norway
Vauen's Himalaya blend is very cherry, and apparently very mild (reviews have it as milder than Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish). Suited me very well as I have a major sweet tooth. However, I can't feel the difference between mild and strong tobaccos, so what do I know.

Reactions: JOHN72 and gord

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Hey! I did forget to mention to all concerned that we have at least 10 pot shops in Prince George . . . pot is legal in BC, and the rest of Kanada. The frontier roughneck town of PG is no more . . . . it's a town of dopers now. And these pot shops survive because the dopers can deduct marijahooney expenses from their income tax. What a twisted world.

Noted, and thanks for the suggestions! :)
If it makes
You feel better, the Mary Jane lovers here in NY are in the destructive mode. A retired cop on a local Village board was the only one to vote no sales because of increase in driving while impaired arrests. Easy to prove in court because it remains in the blood tests for over 7 days unlike AL. The vote yes won only because of tax revenue. Wait until they get crushed in the plastic cars !

Reactions: gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
If it makes
You feel better, the Mary Jane lovers here in NY are in the destructive mode. A retired cop on a local Village board was the only one to vote no sales because of increase in driving while impaired arrests. Easy to prove in court because it remains in the blood tests for over 7 days unlike AL. The vote yes won only because of tax revenue. Wait until they get crushed in the plastic cars !
Doesn't make me feel any better . . . . we're dealing with international insanity, frankly. NY and LA and others are great cities that have gone to pot. And worse.:mad:

Pretty soon the crazies will be putting normal people in rubber rooms . . . . .

• Sad
Reactions: JOHN72

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Sounds like you want more pronounced flavor so i would not get Bobs Chocolate. Its good but not if your expecting a chocolate bomb.

Cult Blood Red Moon
Sutliff Chocolate Moose
Sutliff Chocolate Truffle
Sutliff: Molto Dolce

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sounds like you want more pronounced flavor so i would not get Bobs Chocolate. Its good but not if your expecting a chocolate bomb.

Cult Blood Red Moon
Sutliff Chocolate Moose
Sutliff Chocolate Truffle
Sutliff: Molto Dolce
Thanks. FYI it appears that Cult Blood Moon has been discontinued; it is no longer available from the sources I have accessed . . . . :mad:

jagsdriver

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Vancouver Island BC
A club I belong to in Prince George is having a surfeit of new pipe smokers, and making a long story short, what they want are very mild tobaccos with overwhelming chocolate and cherry flavours. Kinda like candy. I'm sure you all know the drill. They don't know this but I get the picture. My go to cherry tobacco is Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish, and most of them find this on the "rough" side. Really.

I'd like to pick the brains of the forum members for two candy tobaccos, one cherry and one chocolate. Probably something you wouldn't smoke, but from humble beginnings . . . .

We have serious brand limitations in this city, so keep them to really popular brands if you can. This is a tough one but you've yet to disappoint me :)

PS I will order from down south if I have to so if the common brands don't have this we can go a bit more esoteric.
In addition to your choices, I would recommend throwing in a quality vanilla blend

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Lee me add one more to your list - Arrowhead! It’s an in-house blend made at Paul’s Pipe Shop in Flint, MI. I just has my first bowl of it yesterday, and I’m telling you if you have any liking for vanilla this stuff is wonderful! What’s great about it is the flavor tends to last throughout the bowl AND it’s sort of a kitchen sink blend with burley, Virginia, cavendish, blk cavendish, perique, and Latakia! Yeah, lots going on in it and you hit those different flavor notes throughout the smoke with the vanilla! It might be my favorite aromatic now.

• Love

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Lee me add one more to your list - Arrowhead! It’s an in-house blend made at Paul’s Pipe Shop in Flint, MI. I just has my first bowl of it yesterday, and I’m telling you if you have any liking for vanilla this stuff is wonderful! What’s great about it is the flavor tends to last throughout the bowl AND it’s sort of a kitchen sink blend with burley, Virginia, cavendish, blk cavendish, perique, and Latakia! Yeah, lots going on in it and you hit those different flavor notes throughout the smoke with the vanilla! It might be my favorite aromatic now.
I'll note that one for sure for a future order. I'm ready for the noobs now with what I've aquired. . . . after that, it's up to them.:)

Silverwing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
Mac Baren 7seas and while it may not be overwhelmingly chocolate, I get a sort of cinnamon raisin flavor with candied figs and molasses in the background from Lane 1Q. It’s extremely mild and smokes superbly well for beginners. You can get it in nearly every single place that sells tobacco pipes.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mac Baren 7seas and while it may not be overwhelmingly chocolate, I get a sort of cinnamon raisin flavor with candied figs and molasses in the background from Lane 1Q. It’s extremely mild and smokes superbly well for beginners. You can get it in nearly every single place that sells tobacco pipes.
Yes . . . I've had my eyes 7 Seas for some time. Next order I'll try it for sure!! Thanks!!

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
The ultimate sweet and tasty aro, in my view, is Old Toby from the Country Squire. Everyone I’ve recommended it to just loved it.

Reactions: Chalaw87 and gord

Cracklin' Tobaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Another suggestion for you is only available at Pipes and Cigars. Russ' Blends Jet Black. It is not like candy but it is fruity and rich. I could see it springboarding someone from otc blends into higher quality smokes.

• Love