Need a Couple of Noob Recommendations . . . .

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Can't Leave
A club I belong to in Prince George is having a surfeit of new pipe smokers, and making a long story short, what they want are very mild tobaccos with overwhelming chocolate and cherry flavours. Kinda like candy. I'm sure you all know the drill. They don't know this but I get the picture. My go to cherry tobacco is Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish, and most of them find this on the "rough" side. Really.

I'd like to pick the brains of the forum members for two candy tobaccos, one cherry and one chocolate. Probably something you wouldn't smoke, but from humble beginnings . . . .

We have serious brand limitations in this city, so keep them to really popular brands if you can. This is a tough one but you've yet to disappoint me :)

PS I will order from down south if I have to so if the common brands don't have this we can go a bit more esoteric.

Last edited:
Reactions: grimpeur

gord

Can't Leave
Not sure about the procurement part but chocolate and cherry? Try Sutliff Chocolate Mousse - very chocolate sweet and Sutliff Black Cordial. Cherry sweet. Others for me are PA Dutch Treat from Boswell's which has both chocolate and cherry.
Thanks. Writing all of this down and will check out the available suppliers in BC. Some of the Vancouver or Victoria stores may have these.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Does the club meet at a tobacconist with a smoking lounge? I'd imagine they'd have something like Lane Very Cherry in their bulk jars. Hell, I would imagine any tobacconist that is a purveyor of pipe stuff will have at least one bulk blend for sale by oz that would fit that "candy" bill, even if it's something other than chocolate or cherry.

That might make for a good cherry option regardless, but I couldn't say as I've never tried it.

Beyond that, I wouldn't discount stuff like PS LNF. That seems to be one newbies like early on that isn't an aro (which isn't to say it's for newbies or not good or something).

Another one might be Sutliff's Apple #208, it's pretty mild and should go over well.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Thanks, bullet! Looks like the thing I am looking for . . . . reviews are great and I'd even try it myself, but it looks like its either been discontinued or out of stock. But I've put it on the back burner.
I haven't bought any tobacco in awhile, and I usually don't smoke aromatics. BRM was one of few that I used to enjoy. It seems the rumor is Cult is done. Some say BRM might be the only blend available. But no one seems to have it in stock. Very sad news.

Reactions: JOHN72

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I can't speak to what's available in Prince George, but in Toronto, SG CH (chocolate) Flake and the Mac Baren 7 Seas Red are easy to buy...at a price of course.

Calling CH Flake an aromatic does violence to the word, but it is a wonderful, albeit eccentric, tobacco. And it is cocoa-y.

I find the 7 Seas range to be universally excellent examples of aromatics. IIRC, one or two of them have a chocolate note, amongst other flavourings. MB's Golden Extra is not an aromatic, but it certainly has a cocoa or chocolate note to it, coming from the tobacco itself. It's almost a crossover blend.

gord

Can't Leave
Does the club meet at a tobacconist with a smoking lounge? I'd imagine they'd have something like Lane Very Cherry in their bulk jars. Hell, I would imagine any tobacconist that is a purveyor of pipe stuff will have at least one bulk blend for sale by oz that would fit that "candy" bill, even if it's something other than chocolate or cherry.

That might make for a good cherry option regardless, but I couldn't say as I've never tried it.
Beyond that, I wouldn't discount stuff like PS LNF. That seems to be one newbies like early on that isn't an aro (which isn't to say it's for newbies or not good or something).

Another one might be Sutliff's Apple #208, it's pretty mild and should go over well.
Public smoking is not allowed in British Columbia, at least not in Prince George. Not in restaurants, not in any public place. And there is no such thing as a smoking lounge anywhere in the area where I live. We meet in a private home, and it's often mine. The only tobacconist here is an outlet of Sheffields and Sons in a mall in PG, and it is smaller than my kitchen. There are also only two places that I'm aware of in BC that sell bulk tobacco, and they are in Vancouver and Victoria, over 500 miles away and tobacco shipping is extremely expensive because of the additional taxes on "dangerous substances."

Visiting folks don't believe it until they see it. I'll jot down your recommendations and see if I can source them in Vancouver. This is not an outpost of sanity or freedom, I'm afraid. :cry:

We are far, far ahead of you in Marxist Draconianism. There is a bill in Parliament in Ottawa now to ban smoking even in private homes. It gets worse so I'll stop now.

Last edited:

gord

Can't Leave
I can't speak to what's available in Prince George, but in Toronto, SG CH (chocolate) Flake and the Mac Baren 7 Seas Red are easy to buy...at a price of course.

Calling CH Flake an aromatic does violence to the word, but it is a wonderful, albeit eccentric, tobacco. And it is cocoa-y.

I find the 7 Seas range to be universally excellent examples of aromatics. IIRC, one or two of them have a chocolate note, amongst other flavourings. MB's Golden Extra is not an aromatic, but it certainly has a cocoa or chocolate note to it, coming from the tobacco itself. It's almost a crossover blend.
Thanks. Some of the MacBaren blends are available in PG. Toronto is in a different universe. I'll check out 7 Seas red, locally, but all of the MacBaren tins are about $100 the last time I looked. I hate to whine all of the time about this, but tobacco in BC is a real horrow show. One must persevere!

If your recommendations, or any of the others, are available, the guys will chip in and we'll buy a tin. :) Thanks again.

Reactions: grimpeur

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Public smoking is not allowed in British Columbia, at least not in Prince George. Not in restaurants, not in any public place.

This is not an outpost of sanity or freedom, I'm afraid. :cry:

We are far, far ahead of you in Marxist Draconianism.
Sounds like in in a similar situation to what is happening in Oz !
What is it with the UK and its (former) colonies ?
The politicians treat the populace as little kids and turn the country into nanny states.
:mad:

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
For a basic easy to smoke cherry for newbies, I'd get my hands on a bag of Smoker’s Pride Cherry. It will tick most of those boxes. Since your here in BC, I would have suggested ordering from the Mohawks at Cigar Chief but they just sold out of the Cherry. But they may have some of the Mac Baren Cherry left.

You can of course order from any of the US online vendors and run the duty gauntlet. A 12oz bag of SP Cherry usually goes for about $20 plus shipping.

Reactions: gord

dingdong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
Public smoking is not allowed in British Columbia, at least not in Prince George. Not in restaurants, not in any public place. And there is no such thing as a smoking lounge anywhere in the area where I live. We meet in a private home, and it's often mine. The only tobacconist here is an outlet of Sheffields and Sons in a mall in PG, and it is smaller than my kitchen. There are also only two places that I'm aware of in BC that sell bulk tobacco, and they are in Vancouver and Victoria, over 500 miles away and tobacco shipping is extremely expensive because of the additional taxes on "dangerous substances."

Visiting folks don't believe it until they see it. I'll jot down your recommendations and see if I can source them in Vancouver. This is not an outpost of sanity or freedom, I'm afraid. :cry:

We are far, far ahead of you in Marxist Draconianism. There is a bill in Parliament in Ottawa now to ban smoking even in private homes. It gets worse so I'll stop now
Similar to Indonesia, the ban has been for a long time - but for drugs, heroin, ganja/marijuana.. not for cigarettes or pipes or cigars. We can literally smokes anywhere in cafe/resto and there's always smoking area everywhere.. puffy puffy puffy

gord

Can't Leave
For a basic easy to smoke cherry for newbies, I'd get my hands on a bag of Smoker’s Pride Cherry. It will tick most of those boxes. Since your here in BC, I would have suggested ordering from the Mohawks at Cigar Chief but they just sold out of the Cherry. But they may have some of the Mac Baren Cherry left.

You can of course order from any of the US online vendors and run the duty gauntlet. A 12oz bag of SP Cherry usually goes for about $20 plus shipping.
Thanks. I have a friend with a status card, but the nearest native vendor is 150 km away in Fraser Lake. I'm not aware of one in PG but I'm not sure about it . . . . . not an option I would use frequently because I honestly think I should support our local tobacconist as best as I can.

Last edited: