PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
What tobacco are you smoking?

I think it’s easy starting out to lean towards aromatics, but try something light without a super dense topping. Latakia and Oriental blends may be a good start, and avoid perique or straight burley.

I’ve also found that five or six whiskeys while smoking gives me nausea and a headache the next morning, but I’m still running a double-blind research study on the topic and won’t have all the data for another year or two....

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Smoking is slowly killing people so nausea is a natural response of every organism.
Since we all agree to take the risk of eventual eternal sleep once the nausea escalates to that point ... I recommend good quality tobacco. I can smoke heavy nicotine blends but some mild aromatics make me sick. Avoid chemicals from "kiosk" and gas stations, go premium. ?

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
NEVER SMOKE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!

Start by smoking the milder blends.
When smoking, sip on a sweetened beverage, coffee, tea, soda, juice, , or eat a piece of fruit, melon, peach, etc.
Smoke slowly....... sip often.
This right here. I find that having just a little bit of something sweet (beverage or snack) goes a long way towards alleviating any unwanted effects of vitamin N.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
Teasing aside, the issue has to be inhaling, no? I never imagined pipe smoking could really cause nausea. I can see it with a really fat cigar that you go overboard with, but pipes tend to be pretty mild. Is this common? I'm intrigued.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I definitely got sick when I first started chewing tobacco. I have not had this problem using a pipe, but I have noticed a difference between pulling in air and pulling in smoke with the former giving a bad feeling.

I've received much good advice here and from a friend regarding sipping. He also said not to worry about having to relight.