PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Good evening guys,

Quick question, how can I up my tolerance and not get a nausea from smoking? It's my first days of smoking so I want to improve mt experience in all ways.
Start with light blends.
avoid burleys
Smoke outside or in very well ventilated area.
be careful not to inhale or draw the smoke too far into your throat or out your nose.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I would say smoke a smaller bowl to start with and start with milder blends. I was replying just as BROBS posted his advice, but I'd echo all of it.

Don't smoke on an empty stomach, and have something to drink (a rootbeer or plain water is fine).

Don't forget you can let your pipe go out and come back to it. Take breaks... I'd even go so far as to say, take breaks of days between bowls and ease yourself into it if you're that sensitive. You'll adjust.

I think Virginia is good starter tobacco, or some codger blends. I started with Orlik Golden Sliced and FVF. They might bite you to start with as you need to learn how to control the smoke (to smoke as slowly as possible), but that's something you need to learn anyway.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't inhale. Start with non-aromatic blends. Stay hydrated, that is, drink plenty of water and beverages. Smoke after full meals. Sip the smoke, don't puff it. Smoke mild blends, as given in the strength scale in describing blends. Pack a partial bowl or smoke small-bowled pipes. Smoke in a slow cadence. Relax. Don't smoke more than a bowl or two at a time starting out. You may be more sensitive than average to nicotine, so you may need to follow these recommendations ongoing. Good luck.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Good evening guys,

Quick question, how can I up my tolerance and not get a nausea from smoking? It's my first days of smoking so I want to improve mt experience in all ways.
TobaccoReviews is a great site for researching blends. Information includes strength of the blend. Just be aware the these are people's opinions and that can vary greatly

Smoking slowly and sipping ie not going like a "puffing billy" makes a huge difference.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
All have posted good responses. I think that slow is the key thought, here. Give yourself some breaks, and fresh air.
All? But I was trying so hard to post an obnoxious response! I guess I'll have to try harder next time... :mad:

But in all seriousness, I agree with the consensus on here. Smoke outside with the fresh air, smoke slowly, have a non-alcoholic drink of some kind, and try to have some food in your stomach at the time. And like @BROBS said, steer clear of burleys. I recommend a nice, light VA, like Peterson Sherlock Holmes or something of a similar ilk. And if you have to, just take a break and come back to it later. It's tempting to puff like a runaway train and make a big cloud of smoke; resist this urge!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
All? But I was trying so hard to post an obnoxious response! I guess I'll have to try harder next time... :mad:

But in all seriousness, I agree with the consensus on here. Smoke outside with the fresh air, smoke slowly, have a non-alcoholic drink of some kind, and try to have some food in your stomach at the time. And like @BROBS said, steer clear of burleys. I recommend a nice, light VA, like Peterson Sherlock Holmes or something of a similar ilk. And if you have to, just take a break and come back to it later. It's tempting to puff like a runaway train and make a big cloud of smoke; resist this urge!
We R not vaping