PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
One year my wife went to the Columbus Zoo while I spent time at the show.
I'm wondering if they have a capture program...er shuttle service...yeah that's it, shuttle service??
(Actually, my wife is pretty cool with pipe shows and we still hope to attend.)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm wondering if they have a capture program...er shuttle service...yeah that's it, shuttle service??
I'm not sure if they do or not, but the zoo is only about 5-10 minutes up the road. So it's convenient.

M

Can anyone speak to Friday night? The flyer reads that the show opens Friday night in the ballroom, which I know means that vendors won't be set-up in the hallway corridor around the ballroom; but will vendors be open for business in the ballroom Friday night? If so, I may make the journey to the show tomorrow night. Otherwise, I plan to mow some grass Saturday morning and then head up later in the afternoon to see if I can snag any deals later in the day. I'm just wondering how Friday night compares to... let's say the Friday swap event at the Chicago show? I went to that this year and thought it was worth it. I just don't want to make the drive to Columbus tomorrow and find out that Friday is more show and tell than swap and sell.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've been on Friday and on Saturday, Saturday is definitely better. I'd say probably 1/3 of the tables are either empty or setting up through Friday. Also, I have gotten a sort of (oh shit we haven't got that out yet) vibe on the years I went on Friday. Saturday is the much better day, all the tables are full, all the vendors are set up and most importantly....everyone is ready to do business.
P.S. It kind of feels like it's two days before Christmas for me, I look forward to this show all year long. I'll see you there on Saturday!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Hey someone get me something good and send it to me haha I can't make it this year. Such a good venue tho smaller then other shows but always a good time.

M

Thanks phil, see you Saturday. I'm the guy with the beard.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Checked in a little while ago, currently sitting in the courtyard enjoying some CBW. Looking forward to meeting those who are attending.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I'm on the road heading to the show. Stopped in Kentucky for the night. Really hoping to meet some pipe crafters to get some tips on my work to get better. And buy a pipe or two. Hope some tables have some crafting tools but not really expecting that. This will be the first show I attend. See you guys there.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Saturday for us also; I'm pretty easy to spot, 5' tall accompanied by my 5'8" reddish/blonde wife. :D

M

I didn't take any pictures, but I did go today. My wife and I set out from Dayton around 12:30. I smoked a bowl of Penzance on the way up in a Kyriazanos Bulldog, a pipe that previously until this afternoon had only had Balkan Sobranie smoked in it. That bowl of tobacco was one of the best that I've smoked in a long time. I had the A/C blowing cold with Roky Erickson on the car stereo. It was a nice drive.
We arrived at the show and and right off the bat noticed less vendors. The hallway around the ballroom was about a third less filled than in 2014. My wife and I did a lap past all the tables and nothing caught my eye. We went to the end of the hallway and picked up a tin of each of the show blends; Night Wraith, Invasion, and a tin from last year's show Varoom! We did another lap around the ballroom...
There were quite a few carvers there. I saw Brain Levine, but he's not a carver. Missouri Meerschaum was there. BriarWorks had a nice display of their pipes. Nate King was wearing a lab coat and was set up right in line with all the other carvers from briarlab. I thought that was a nice touch. It gave me hope that the FDA bullshit doesn't f things up too much for pipe carvers.
I luckily ran across Old Dominion Pipes on the way out and met Bob. Bob was a breath of fresh air that made this show worth it for me. He just oozed calm, cool, and collected passion for pipe history and pipe making. I bought a couple Laughing Kings and a Venus. It was a pleasure meeting Bob, and the best part of the show for me.
I smoked a bowl of Varoom! on the way home in one of the Laughing Kings, and both were great. The Old Dominion cob was a comfortable clencher with a nice draw that allowed me to get nice big mouthfuls of smoke. The guys at the show couldn't tell me anything about Varoom! and there's nothing on tobaccoreviews about it, so here it goes... the only thing I've read about this blend is on the side of the tin where it tells a story about a couple of nice sports cars driving in a desert through a ghost town, a chest of old tobacco is found, G.L Pease brings it back to life and the blend is born. It's a coarse cut balkan with a spicy/plum wine/nut flavor profile; it's heady and produces nice thick smoke; additionally it has a very light and natural dried floral essence to it in the tin and in the air. I wish I had picked up 10 tins.
The drive home also included a severe thunderstorm that produced torrential downpours and 70 mph gusts of wind. The was fun. All in all it was another good show. There were fewer vendors and a weird feel that I imagine is just an early FDA dip in energy, but spirits still seemed high overall. Sorry no pictures, but at least I gave a report. My wife did take one picture of me on the way up, but that would break my computer.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
We also drove in from Dayton and drove home in the storm as well. Had a nice visit with people we met at the St. Louis show; (I'm sure I'll mess this up) Davineaux from the forum, had a chance to visit Lee Von Erck's table, Ryan Alden, Pete Prevost and Scott Thiele. It's been so long since I've been to the Columbus show, I can't comment on number of vendors, but there were clearly empty tables.
I ended up with a MM Devil Anse cob and a tin of Conac from Smoker's Haven.
A fun afternoon!

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I agree with much of what Mothernature had to say. While I really enjoyed the show, it was smaller than the last couple years and it definitely seemed like there was an air of uncertainty over the entire show. Not to mention several pipes were stolen off tables which left a bad taste for many of people in attendance.
The highlights for me were hanging out with pipe carvers who I have come to build friendships with such as Premel Chheda (smokers haven) Ryan Alden, Thomas James, Scott Thile, Scott Klein, Joe Nelson, Jesse Jones, Micah Cryder as well as meeting several other pipe makers and purveyors.
I also had the chance to once again hang out with BigVan aka J.J. and meet lifesizehobbit (whose description of himself and his wife made it easy to find)
I don't have pictures of the show but I will post pictures of what I got.
Ryan Alden Estate with a nice blast and smooth rim. The shank treatment is spalted oak

p8270021-600x450.jpg

p8270024-600x450.jpg

Then I added tobacco with 1LB of SG Full Virginia flake from 09, a tin of escudo, a tin of Mccleland navy cavendish and one tin of Low Country Tobacco's Waccamaw from '08. The Waccamaw is a new one for me.
p8270025-600x450.jpg

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
How I turned "delkouri" into "davineaux" is beyond me; I offer my apologies. It was great to meet you in person, the Thiele you were smoking was amazing and have to profess some "jelly" over that Alden. Two great pipes.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I really enjoyed the show even if it was smaller than the past ones. I have never been to one before so it was bigger than I expected but smaller than I hoped for, however all in all to me it ended up being perfect. Except of course what Delkhouri mentioned, that was a very disappointing moment in the show.
I sadly didn't take any pictures, I was to in awe from seeing some of the really nice carving work of folks.
Seeing the presentation of Father of the Flame was great. I can hardly wait for the final cut to come out. I didn't realize I was setting next to Lee E. von Erek before the video started. After the video he took a look at my work and gave me the tips I really needed on improving my skills. I would like to thank him, Tim West, Christopher McKee, and everyone else that I meet that was will to talk about pipe crafting.
My wife and I really enjoyed getting to shoot the wind with Phil Morgan and Marilyn Lanning from Missouri Meerschaum.
Well on to the loot from the trip, a couple items I picked up from antique stores on the way up.

The cast iron item is a grinder I found in a KY, as is the Flamex Lighter.
I didn't want to spend what I limited myself to so I didn't buy any real expensive pipes and a few of the items I traded some of my pipes for. The one Artisan pipe I did get was from Layton Pipes Sloth line.
My wife and I are looking forward to going to the next show. And really hope we will get to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.