PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I'm planning to make the trip to go to a pipe show next month in Dublin. I was wondering who is planning on going. How far have you traveled for a show? It's a 10 hour drive from here, but I've not been to Dublin before and would like to make it a trip on my bike. Hope to see some folks there.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'll most likely be there? It's about an hour drive for me. The farthest I've driven for a pipe show was Chicago, which was a 5 hour drive.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, the Ohio Dublin! Pretty sure it wasn't the CA Dublin, and certainly not the Irish one!
I've travelled 2000 miles to get to the Chicago show, only my second pipe show ever. I will go only 600 miles to get to my third show ever (second time for the LVPS), in Las Vegas this Fall.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I'm planning on going either Friday or Saturday; depends on how the schedule works out. Coming in from just south of Dayton area so only about a 70-80 minute ride for me.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I plan to be there, set up in the back at the Smokers Haven table as usual. You will have a great time! Keep in mind that most of the fun is hanging out Friday and Saturday night. Lots of people will be at the Hotel bar, and many little groups leaving to go out for dinner etc. It is easy to make some new friends and tag along if you don't know anyone there already. I hope all of you will come say Hello !

jogilli

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I'll be there... actually really looking forward to it... finally get to meet Premal and the Ohio crew... ended up reserving a table to boot... can't beat that ;-)
smoke in peace

james

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I am deliberating on whether to go. I'm in Indianapolis so it's not a bad drive. I've been to Columbus/Dublin before. I'm curious as to whether there would be anything for my wife to do in the area. That's the real challenge lol :roll:

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ah, the Ohio Dublin! Pretty sure it wasn't the CA Dublin, and certainly not the Irish one!

That clears things up! This is the first I'm hearing of this show. Sounds cool! I'll probably just wait for Chicago though since that's where I live. 8)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I really wanted to go to the Columbus show this year but we just bought a car and the down payment and sales taxes pretty much killed that idea !

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can, plan to spend more time than you'd expect. A few hours is a minimum, by the time you make the exhibit round once, have several conversations that go on longer than anticipated, make a purchase or three (or more), and spend some time in the smoking area outside or where ever, and so on. Then make a second round of the exhibits to catch anything you missed. I'm fairly close to my venue, so I am spoiled, but if I plan to spend two hours, it's usually closer to four.
Pick up business cards where you can, especially for pipe carvers, pipe repair people, or other potential contacts. You may not come prepared to buy more than a certain allotment of pipes, but you may want the option of doubling back later. If you can be there at the end of the show, sometimes there are bargains that crop up, because people want to reduce their inventory as much as turn another buck. Also, you are in a better position to bid in a silent auction.
Even if you can spend little, you can learn a lot. When people see you two or three years in a row, they may give consideration to your interest in pipes.
For your wife, I'd do a little prospecting before the show following up her interests, whether it's antiques, consignment store clothing, fine art galleries, or whatever. A call to the local visitors' center might strike spousal gold, and she'll be putting the pipe show on her calendar for next year.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I am deliberating on whether to go. I'm in Indianapolis so it's not a bad drive. I've been to Columbus/Dublin before. I'm curious as to whether there would be anything for my wife to do in the area. That's the real challenge lol
You wii be just around the corner from a nice mall.. probably have those in Indy. Old town Dublin is loaded with little shops wmen seem to like. She could hope back on 270 and head over to Easton. (Google it) Avoid downtown Cols, west side, south side, neat east and near north areas. Be sure to see Dublins field of concrete corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.