PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
It sounds as though the Food and Drug Administration has written the Final (as if anything from the federal government is "final") Deeming Regulations with the intent of frightening our interests (the pipe-tobacco manufacturers and distributors, and the pipe-makers) to the point where they will simply give up their businesses rather than fight for them. By so doing they have set the table for a largely bloodless (at least from their standpoint) coup d'état whereby Mitch Zealous (I mean Zeller) and his sycophants will attempt to realize their fantasy of a "tobacco-free generation."

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Am I missing something? Who here thinks that the FDA would send someone to a pipe show to see if people were giving out free samples? Also as posted above, it doesn't seem like the FDA is going after pipes makers.
We are dealing with the FDA, they can bluster all they want but when it comes down to enforcing their rules, you really think they have enough people to start sending them to pipe shows, I think not. I would find out what the fines are and if they are not expensive, I would continue to do business as usual until I got fined.

May 4, 2015
I wouldn't poke the bear by giving out free samples when that's one of the explicitly forbidden activities.
However, since no one who carves pipes is being affected at all I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY ARE QUITTING.
Edit: I shouldn't say "no one". Moonshine Pipes has tobacco on the market right now that he'll probably have to pull. That's a bummer, for sure.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suspect that some of these carvers, like Basil, do it as an avocation, maybe for a few extra dollars, or as a creative or social outlet. So when the specter of FDA regulation presents itself, it makes continuing this craft appear to be more trouble than it's worth.
I'd like to know what someone who supports him or her self through pipe carving, plans to do.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
More trouble? It's literally NO more trouble.
Why is this bothering me so much?! :crazy:
Maybe it's a matter of perception. There may not be any complication other than the concern that there MIGHT be a complication, and that's worrisome enough for some. I'm not one of them, but that's just me.
Then there's the non specific dread of possibly having to deal with a government agency. I don't know what's in anybody's head without them sharing it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There should be no issue for any pipe maker. If you cannot get around a bloated agency like the FDA, you might want to contact people who have owned their own businesses for a long time. The numbers of ways are many.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
IMO, it seems pipe-makers who were looking to get out are crying the FDA made me do it. If I was making pipes and making decent money doing it I sure wouldn't quit from what is now known about the FDA regs. OTOH, the days of free samples are history. Wonder if the Columbus show in Aug will affected?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There should be no issue for any pipe maker. If you cannot get around a bloated agency like the FDA, you might want to contact people who have owned their own businesses for a long time. The numbers of ways are many.
Harris has generously volunteered to give all of you troubled carvers free business advice! Three cheers for Harris! Hip hip Hurrah! Hip hip Hurrah! Hip hip Hurrah!

basil

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
My two cents, right now no one is sure what will take place. The guild I belong to has been working with the lawyers the is ready to go into action as soon as this goes into play. I'm following their advice and stopping for now. I do have some commissions that will be finished and I will keep making pipes. I just won't be advertising them. Personally think we'll come out of this, maybe a bit bruised and a few scar's, but we will be OK.

May 4, 2015
The guild I belong to has been working with the lawyers the is ready to go into action as soon as this goes into play. I'm following their advice and stopping for now
Your lawyers advised stopping selling pipes for now, even though no licensing, fees, or anything have been imposed or are even on the horizon at this point for manufacturers of tobacco pipes? Just clarifying.

basil

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
The word we got through the guild was they advised stopping for now until it goes to litigation. We didn't have to follow the advice if we choose not to. I took their advice.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The word we got through the guild was they advised stopping for now until it goes to litigation. We didn't have to follow the advice if we choose not to. I took their advice.

LoL! Make pipes or don't but I wouldn't get to shook up over the "guild"(??) or future FDA rulings yet. 8O

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
First, let me say that I have no idea how all of this is going to play out over the coming days, weeks, months and years. I am only in the business of smoking pipes, and not making them, so I would not presume to advise how a pipe manufacturer should proceed.
Having stated the above I will share this. A handful of years ago Oregon passed a law that dealt with smoking in a work place. The law had a provision that would allow current smoke shops to continue to allow businesses that sold cigars and pipes to permit customers to enjoy smoking in said businesses; however, our local tobacconist was scared of the new regulations and decided that he could not trust the government and banned all smoking in his shop. Over the course of the following months his business dropped to the point that he had no choice but to close shop. What is sad is that he could have continued to allow smoking, as other smoke shops in neighboring towns allow still to this day. All of this could have been avoided if paranoia had not been allow to creep in.
I will finish by stating again, I am not trying to give advice to pipe show organizers, tobacconist or manufactures. I am probably posting this in large part to remind myself to stay calm and wait for the full truth to emerge.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Quitting now seems wrong. The market might heat up with the FDA rules looming. I don't see the logic in the advice. Seems "make hay while the sun shines" is the correct approach.
There's probably more to the story. If all of their carvers quit, there's something motivating that choice. While I agree with you, I'm not a manufacturer, and possibly there's some legal angle to this of which we're unaware.
Or not.
Something just doesn't quite add up for me in the show's statement, not that it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.