PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Through my research and entertainment of watching pipe type videos and tobacco reviews, YouTube has decided that I must like all things tobacco, and has recently recommended some videos about dry nasal Snuff. In my forty something years of life, I have never heard of such a thing. Yet I am intrigued by the thought of a shot of nic without stepping outside or smelling like smoke. Anyone have any experience with this? Pros, cons? Any recommendations as far as a brand to try?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It might leave you with sinusitis. I said might; your experience could be different.

Bernard Schmalzer was what I got, along with another mentholated one whose name I've forgotten. All purchased from Mr Snuff, back in the first months of AD 2015.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think it was more common in Europe, though if you watch Inglorious Basterds, Brad Pitt's character snuffs throughout the movie.I experimented with it for a while. There are pros and cons. I'm, uh, not a stranger to that method of consuming a substance, but even after using snuff pretty regularly over the course of a month or two, I found it was still a bit uncomfortable to take the stuff. Snuffs range from very fine and dry, such as some of the snuffs from India to pretty moist and course, like the schmalzer types from Germany. The Gawiths also make snuffs and use a lot of the same Lakeland scents as their pipe tobaccos. There is even a Latakia snuff. The finer and more dry the snuff is, generally the harder it is to take and the more it burns. I actually enjoyed the schmalzers the most. They vary in nicotine as well, but at their strongest, they can be real bell-ringers.

Baically, I decided I prefer Swedish snus or even an old-fashioned dip of Copenhagen straight for my smokeless impulses, but snuff is kind of fun. If you think you'd be into that kind of thing anyway.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Do you have to use a rolled up $20 bill to take a line of snuff? rotf
I reckon you are joking, but you bring up a point that must be, well, pointed out to the beginner snuffer: snuff is never snorted.

Besides, we all come with a built-in snuffing measure and intake mechanism:

anatomical-snuff-box.png

?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I always found the Mexican 20 peso note the perfect size for that sort of thing. nana

For snuff, I mostly took pinches from my finger and sniffed from that. My anatomical snuff box (lol) isn't very pronounced, so I'd also snuff off the webbing between my thumb and index figure

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I love nasal snuff, the stuff is especially a lifesaver on airplanes. I really don't care if the people around me think I'm annoying drugs, let them think what they will.
It tastes great, gives a nice lil hit of nicotine, and it's the most discreet hands down. It's even been around basically as long as cigars and pipes.
10/10 would recommend

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
You know you've got good snuff when it feels like someone slapped you in the back of the head right after you snuff some. As danimalia points out, some are bell ringers. Very true. A few months back I though to myself I haven't had some snuff in a long while. So I had some Red Bull. Jesus I lost feeling in my feet. It was awesome :col:

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
You know you've got good snuff when it feels like someone slapped you in the back of the head right after you snuff some. As danimalia points out, some are bell ringers. Very true. A few months back I though to myself I haven't had some snuff in a long while. So I had some Red Bull. Jesus I lost feeling in my feet. It was awesome :col:
Man i love it.
I have some mentholated snuff i use when I'm congested. Clears you right up

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Man i love it.
I have some mentholated snuff i use when I'm congested. Clears you right up
You got that right. Your sinuses will be clear. I did try some non mentholated snuff and it just wasn't the same. But I did like the Cola flavored snuff by Poeschl. Alpina is a very nice mild mentholated snuff as well.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
The ones I find myself returning to the most are F&T High Dry T, WoS Irish 22, Viking Thor's Hammer, Bernard Zwiefacher, SWS Lundy Foot & Havana Toast in no particular order. You should be able to try all those out for under $30-40 depending on what sizes you get.

Top three would probably be Irish 22, Zwiefacher, and Thor's Hammer just depending on my mood. Sometimes I want the coarse cut of TH, other the fine hit of the 22, and finally a lightly fruity, touch of menthol schmalzer to round things out. There's still plenty more I would like to try, though.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I enjoy taking a little pinch of snuff as a quick break at work. I usually bring a yeti thermos of black coffee to get me going in the morning, and a pinch or two of snuff goes along nicely. I've only tried the basic Silver Dollar / Toque brand, which is kind of like the OTC / codger blends of snuff as far as I understand it. I bought a few tins of Silver Dollar / Toque snuffs including the Natural, Scotch, and Whiskey Honey (or whatever it's called... something close to that). They are all enjoyable. I probably like the Scotch snuff the best. Smells kind of like old leather and wood. I don't use it much, so the handful of tins I got are going a long way.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I don't use it much, so the handful of tins I got are going a long way.
That's the best part. I picked up like 5 or 6 tins of Silver Dollar a year or so ago, and I haven't even finished one. They last forever if you're not snuffing regularly. I suspect the 6 tins I have will probably last me til I'm in my forties :LOL:

Reactions: lawdawg

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
That's the best part. I picked up like 5 or 6 tins of Silver Dollar a year or so ago, and I haven't even finished one. They last forever if you're not snuffing regularly. I suspect the 6 tins I have will probably last me til I'm in my forties :LOL:

Even if you snuff a lot (and I do), it's gotta be the most cost effective vitamin N delivery system there is. Pipe smoking is almost expensive compared to snuff!

I spent ~$100 on my last snuff order, and it's hard to calculate, but I suspect it will last well over a year, maybe even pushing two, even with me snuffing all day. I don't enjoy it as much as a pipe, but it gets the job done cheap, and it's pretty discrete besides the runny nose. Snus is the only other option for discrete tobacco delivery, but it's pricey in comparison.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Even if you snuff a lot (and I do), it's gotta be the most cost effective vitamin N delivery system there is. Pipe smoking is almost expensive compared to snuff!

I spent ~$100 on my last snuff order, and it's hard to calculate, but I suspect it will last well over a year, maybe even pushing two, even with me snuffing all day. I don't enjoy it as much as a pipe, but it gets the job done cheap, and it's pretty discrete besides the runny nose. Snus is the only other option for discrete tobacco delivery, but it's pricey in comparison.
I've also heard of people making their own snuff from pipe tobacco... I tried but couldn't get it fine enough in a regular coffee grinder, but I plan on picking up a burr grinder sometime, or maybe a mortar and pestle. I've got a tiny bit of the original 759, I bet that would make some incredible snuff. I've never tried latakia snuff before, but I figure with how hard it is to find it'd just be easier to make my own

Reactions: orthodoxpiper
Status
Not open for further replies.