PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks a bunch Shawn!!!
The video helped out a lot, I think I was sniffing too hard, I was getting headaches and I would sneeze...Now towards the end of the video when he was using the tube, wasn't that a lot of snuff he was sniffing?? my understanding is that you need very little?? I'm guessing a bit less that the size of a appleseed??

I'm gonna try the pinch method next and hopefully it works better for me. Now I use one of those plastic collar thingies for dress shirts as my tool to sniff snuff!! I'm gonna have to get me a spoon, it might be easier to control the portion!!!
Thanks for the video...I'm looking forward to the samples...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The way I do it is to pack it in the tin, pinch a very small amount with my thumb and forefinger and rub them together. It should bring out the scent and leave a little bit caked on your fingertips. You put those bits up to to your nostrils and gently sniff. Don't sniff hard enough for it to go into your sinuses. IMHO the guy in the video does too much and sniffs too hard. He's also the guy who used his sniffer like a coke straw in one video. He chopped up lines of snuff and honked it up and it looked like David Beckham kicked him in the face. Goes to show you should know what you're talking about before you make "instructional" videos. The hard part about a tube sniffer is NOT getting it into your sinuses and that's what I'm working on right now.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I can't see the video from this computer, but I'm guessing this is one of MrMichaelSnuff's videos. I think his use of the tube was one of his first videos. I never see him using it anymore. Personally, I just pinch or, if it's a tap box, take it off of the back of the hand.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
He probably had as much trouble as I did. I'm tenacious, though. I'm going to keep trying. I found that instead of using the tube to sniff it off the tin lid or other objects, I can tap the tube down on the packed snuff and some will get stuck in there then you just sniff it out. Pretty easy but still a little harder to control than just using fingers.
I sniff right out of the tap box, but you have to be careful if you do that. Off the hand makes more sense, but I'm not used to that.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
You know those spoons on the pipe tools? I have been using the tip of it when I want to be a little more clean with it. The rub method sounds intriguing. Thanks for the info Baron. I'm with you too. I try to keep it in my nose but getting a little into the sinuses is inevitable. If you keep it in the nose, you can enjoy the scent longer. I barely sniff hard at all.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I'm still trying to figure out a proper technique myself. After taking a pinch I feel like I need to blow my nose almost immediately afterward. I think I'm trying to take too much at once, maybe about a pea size amount. Though I do enjoy it, I don't see myself as using snuff on a consistent basis, perhaps just a pinch every now and then.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Little old ladies in the Appalachians would take the bark off of a small birch twig until it was about the size and diameter of half of a toothpick, wet that, dip it into a can of scotch snuff, and put it between the cheek and gum. It was invariably American Snuff's "Dental" line - I guess the ladies took the name literally.
Men smoked or chewed; I never heard of one trying the birch-twig method (or the nasal method, either).

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I Tried the rub method and its the best without a doubt. Here is a question I need answered fast. I bought 4 25 gram tins of different snuff. When I got them I was astounded at how much I underestimated how much 25 grams is. I'm an idiot. It will take me a year of heave use to use this much. So how do i keep it from going stale. I have quart, wide mouth mason jard. i dropped the cans in the jar. I have a small tin that holds about 5 grams that I filled with the menthol. I have 2 bullets on the way. Do you think that the jar will keep the tobacco kind of fresh if I only get into it to fill my tin and bullets every few days? Does anyone know another way to keep them fresh?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
jameral- Sounds like maybe a little too much and sniffing too hard, although some of the stronger ones make me sneeze anyway. Pöschl Alpina has a ton of menthol and I have to fight the urge to sneeze every time. Löwenprise is milder.
Right now I have to say my favorite is the Viking Peach. I'm going to order some Viking Blonde and Spear next time.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Hey Shawn, I think the jars are probably better than nothing. I don't keep much snuff on hand. So, I tend to keep my tins and tap boxes in a tobacco jar with a rubber lid seal and then throw a cigar humidifier in there. Not the right move for most tobacco, but I've actually heard it suggested on other sites that snuff can be sealed up and stored in the freezer to preserve it. However, I have never tried that.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I am partial to the Wilsons and sharrow myself Use it at work when i need a little nic boost. does the job well

I usually but a small, tiny pinch between my thumb and forefinger and then gently inhale it in to the front of my nose. I learnt the hard way about too much too far. 8O

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I need a cigar humidifier. I'm going to have to put that on my list for my next order from P&C. I think one of those in the jar would keep the snuff from going stale really fast. I read that freezing snuff seperates some of the water from the snuff. IDK. I'll just have to do more research.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I usually take a pinch and put it inside my nose - with very light sniffing. I don't want the snuff in my lungs or throat.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
He's also the guy who used his sniffer like a coke straw in one video. He chopped up lines of snuff and honked it up and it looked like David Beckham kicked him in the face
Baron-lol!!! I saw that too and I sneezed just watching him... That looked like it'll hurt!!

I'm gonna give the pinch method a go and see how it works!!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Haha! I'm no expert either, but I don't plan on making how-to videos. I just copied what I saw the old geezers doing in Germany and it worked out for me.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
I enjoy snuff almost daily. I don't usually take a pipe with me to work so I throw a tin or three of snuff in my bag and go. Usually a fruity one, a menthol one and then, typically, Red Bull. This week I had Extra Crumbs of Comfort in a bullet, FUBAR R'n'R in a small snuff box, and a tin of Ozona President.
I use a small Delrin box with a sliding lid for a snuff box. Works great for pinching. Slide it open and take a pinch and slide it shut and no leaks. I'll see if I can find a link.
Delrin Box

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I make a fist with my left hand and hold it up. Then tap out a litttle pile between my index finger knuckle and the next finger. I touch the side of my index knuckle to my lip and the snuff is just under the nostril. Lightly sniff and that's it. With practice you can sniff half the pile and repeat with the next nostril. It works best with moist snuffs. With the fine dry snuffs you have to be more cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.