Name Your Weird Life Skill “Blind Spot”!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
This should be fun. There are lots of “life skills” that, through experience and practice, most everyone gets the hang of. But no one gets the hang of ALL of them. We all struggle with something silly.

My sense of time is horrible.
“When did you last have blood work done?”
“Probably 2-3 years ago”
“Your chart says 2013”
“Oh”

When I make pasta, doesn’t matter if there are 2 or 20 people eating, I cook enough for 60.

And I can’t wrap presents. At all.

Fire away!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don’t want to derail the thread with actual blind spots.

1- But my super power is that I’m an idiot savant.

I’m good at what I do, just don’t ask what day it is.

2- I have a photographic memory for things I care about and work.

Things that are just things, they go into the memory hole to be rapidly forgotten.

An example is the organization of my tobacco and pipes. They are things. They don’t have value or importance. Do I have nice pipes, yes, do I value them, not at all.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I work with a guy that struggles mightily with left and right. You’re better off telling him it’s the door to the east rather than telling him it’s the door on the left.
hey I did too. You'd tell him something was to the left he'd hold up his hand pointer up thumb out to make an L. Sometimes he'd hold his hands up the wrong way round for it too work. Funny part really sharp guy but couldn't get left and right down.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I knew a fellow who could sit in his garage and disassemble & fix Swiss pocket watches. He couldn't find his way to the corner store if he had a map and compass.

I can't navigate, tolerate or appreciate our entire health care and insurance industry. It makes my head hurt and my blood pressure spike.

I interact with that whole system as little as possible and only when beyond necessary.

1658462957586.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can fix just about anything. I got my break into the film business by rebuilding the action on a 19th century Pleyel piano, carving the missing sections by hand, part after part. When I reassembled the action the new parts worked perfectly, and the owner got me a job at Universal Studios. When my parents' dryer stoped working I tore it down and rebuilt it and it never needed replacing. I did construction when I was young and learned all manner of stuff from rewiring houses to laying sheetrock, framing, etc. I can do fine casework. I did a lot of delicate restoration on antique jewelry.
But put me next to an automobile and ask me to do anything more than the simplest maintenance, like refilling the washer fluid, and a worldwide apocalypse could likely be the result.

Jan 27, 2020
This is a good forum topic. Did you pull off to the side of the highway when "nature called" to start this thread? I'm pretty sure most here would agree that I have a skill for starting threads that serve to advance humanity. It's thankless work that pays nothing but the rewards come with the many insightful, thoughtful, inspiring and valueless responses which come after starting a thread. I am blessed.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I can't name the planets without really concentrating about it.

I will list the planets now without Google:

Mars
Jupiter
Venus
Uranus
Earth
Saturn

That's it. If I sat here for an hour, I'd be able to get all nine eventually.

I'm not stupid, I just can't remember the planets...sort of embarrassing.