PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Probably before my time. Not a clue..... Kinda looks like the guy that played the scarecrow on Wizard of Oz. I'll keep an eye on this one.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
At first I thought it might have been Boris Karloff, but he's just too thin and doesn't a have a widows peak.
Let's go with Pa Kettle... Percy Kilbride?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
How about this guy?
williamgellett1stSherlockHolmes.jpg

wm2.jpg

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
Yep, first one is indeed Percy Kilbride,,... Pa Kettle!

I have one pic with his cob but its WAY small!
The second one is....wait, I cheated too!

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
First pic is definately Percy. Do any of you remember the technique Pa Kettle used to borrow tobacco and fill his pipe? He would kind of hold the pipe with his fist with the very top of the bowl being held by his little finger. This way most of his fist was above the pipe. Then he would start stuffing the borrowed tobacco in the top of his fist down into the pipe. When the pipe was full he would keep stuffing tobacco into his fist till it was full too. Then, with one quick motion, he would shove all the extra tobacco in his pocket... He was a great character and a credit to all us cheap pipe smokers!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Bubbadrier wrote:

What is the purpose of that pipe design?
To aid in cleaning and reduce messiness. A pipe cleaner can be pushed through while smoking or it can be blown through like a spit valve.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Juni wrote:

Theodore Sturgeon?
He's the one. A dedicated pipe smoker was he.
I really thought that post wouldn't be solved so quickly...looks like I've underestimated at least two of you. (Insert appropriate emoticon here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.