PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm embarrassed to ask because I should already know this, but how many times can a favorite pipe be smoked before it needs to rest? A day or more, number of times, etc? Below I'm smoking a 107 Irish Harp, and looking for an exxcuse to get another. Thanks!
photo-on-2-21-18-at-706-pm-600x560.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm sure some have hard and fast rules. I pick a work pipe in the morning and may smoke up to 8 or twn bowls during the day. That pipe does into the cleaning rack and is cleaned on Sunday. In the evening I pick a meerschaum and smoke up to four bowls. It also gets cleaned on Sunday. I may use the same meer a couple times in a week. That's just my routine.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since all pipes differ, why not experiment? Smoke it without rest until it stops delivering. The rule of thumb is to rest it one day for every bowl you've smoked, but I play fast and loose with rules.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I grab a pipe for work, smoke 1-8 bowls, clean it with Everclear, stick in the rack, and wait a week.
Some old guys would smoke all day everyday the same pipe.
I figure unless you live in a steam bath, a week off should be long enough.

Jan 8, 2013
I'll usually smoke a single pipe only once on any given day, and rest it again for at least 24 hours. I've currently been smoking a total of 5 pipes over the last couple weeks, letting each rest at least a day before I pick it up again. That's simply because I've started picking an assortment of pipes to smoke for a week and keeping them at my desk instead of just choosing from my racks at random. They usually still get more than one day's rest, but so far, those that I have smoked consecutive days seem to be handling it just fine. That being said, if you really like a certain shape, then by all means purchase another. I've acquired multiple pipes of a shape just for that purpose myself. I have multiple Peterson Xl90, 106, and Savinelli 320. I plan of grabbing more Peterson B42, and I'm seriously considering more Stanwell 15. I have two Moonshine Deviled Egg, and constantly look for another on Ebay since they were discontinued.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
What Cortez says makes sense; smoke it until doesn't deliver the goods, then you'll know for sure when it will need a rest. I'm betting the humidity in your area will have a great deal to do with the rest time required.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad (1917-2006) smoked from age 15 to 65ish, and he smoked from after breakfast until near bedtime, every day, for all those years, with a few years off for cigars, King Edwards, only one pipe at a time until it cracked or otherwise burnt out. So that's one regime. I always give my pipes a day of smoking, however many bowls, and then let it rest for weeks, since I have a lot of pipes, but when I had fewer, I'd always let them rest for three or four days at least.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
With your number of posts since 2013 I can now understand why you decided to name this thread as "naive". :D

Resting time can surely be a convenient excuse to buy another pipe. Sometimes it's actually true. When I'm trying to find one I insist it won't happen until I sell one of my old pipes. And when they don't provide a good smoke due to a too short resting time (which is a few days for me - 1 day minimum but the more the better, up to a week) I tell myself I smoke too much. :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If the pipe is moist, it will be stinky, and this will affect the bowl. However, if you are in an arid environment, letting it sit out for a half hour will cure this.
In my understanding, in the old days, people used to smoke the same pipe all day, but tended to give it a rest to dry out. Usually this cures any moisture issues. Immediate pipe cleaner attention helps too.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's another naive question: what is the difference between the Drac smooth x105 billiard and the 106 smooth Drac billiard. They appear very similar, yet differ in ways I can't articulate. Is the x105 bigger or what?

PS; I bought another pipe, a 107 irish harp.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
From SPC.
The just-slightly-smaller sibling of the "106", Peterson's "X105" is beyond a small adjustment of scale pretty much identical: a straight Billiard of quite English style, excepting that the shank is a little meatier (stouter shanks being an established Peterson design cue and all).

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I think a lot of this 'resting' the pipe is urban legend and myth. I smoke only two or at the most three bowls a day and each one in a different pipe. However, that being said I always pull the pipe apart and run a cleaner through the stummel and through the stem. I will use a Q-tip on my p-lips to get the accumulated moisture out of the sink.

My meers I do the same but I also swipe out the bowl with a paper towel.

Just my double aught 2 cents worth.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you smoke wet- i.e. if there's visible moisture in the heel after a bowl, yes, rest is indicated. But not a day for every bowl. You could smoke 8 bowls, have a wet chamber, and it'd be fine the next day, depending on where you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.