PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
If I can leave a pair of heavy denim washed jeans out to dry and they are completely dry the next morning, then I think that if you are diligent with the pipe cleaner, q-tips and paper towels your briar wood, cob, or meer will be more than dry after sitting for 24 hours. I think that folks who can smoke 10 or more bowls a day are truly amazing folks, I certainly know I can't. I do think that if a person smokes ten or more bowls in the same burner with the same tobacco, said tobacco will imprint said pipe. One excellent reason to devote different pipes to different blends IMHO if you do smoke all day every day.

Again, I don't know how you do it, but I tip my hat to you that do!
chasingembers, I think a lot of this 'resting' the pipe is urban legend and myth.

:clap:

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
One or two bowls a day I don't think it matters. Nine or ten bowls a day I don't know, I never have that much time to smoke.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
One thing I've noticed is that pipes with a larger airway seem to need less rest. Why, I don't know. A pipe maker sent me a pipe as a gift and he asked me to smoke it every day, at least 1 bowl a day. He used a 4mm airway, which was a new concept to me at the time. I smoked that pipe at least once a day for 27 days and never had a bad smoke. The only reason I stopped at 27 was because, frankly, I was getting tired of smoking the same pipe.
Russ

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I normally use two pipe cleaners on a pipe as soon as I am done smoking a bowl. The important thing is making sure the moisture is out of the stem and heel of the bowl. I soak the moisture up with a pipe cleaner bent in half. I believe every pipe that I do this to is ready either right away or at least the next day to be smoked again. I agree with Russ as well. I have a couple of pipes with bigger airways and I believe they smoke a bit dryer leaving less moisture to be cleaned up after smoking. It's been a long time since I have cleaned my pipes with alcohol/spirits because quite frankly I keep them so clean that they smoke good every time.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
The answer is to accumulate enough pipes so that you never have to smoke the same pipe more than twice a year. Problem solved.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
My comment was that if a pair of jeans left in the air in the house to dry will be completely dry in 24 hours. Denim is a heavy material and one of the reasons I stopped using denim for bush work 45 years ago was because quite simply, when they got wet they took way too long to dry and you stayed cold and wet along with the jeans. There are other fabrics (even back in 1973 when I started my career as a surveyor in northern Canada) that dry quicker and wear just as well. The point I was trying to make was that I've found that running a pipe cleaner and or a Q-tip through my pipe and leaving it sit for 24 hours has been, in my limited experience, more than enough time for it to dry out. And I always take the stem off to let it sit as well.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Here's another naive question: what is the difference between the Drac smooth x105 billiard and the 106 smooth Drac billiard. They appear very similar, yet differ in ways I can't articulate. Is the x105 bigger or what?

PS; I bought another pipe, a 107 irish harp.
From the bottom up: X105, 106, 107

5z2vdw.jpg

2vm8vo0.jpg

The 106 and 107 seem and feel interchangeable, the X105 is definitely smaller. Probably a 'Group 4', still a nice size billiard. The X105 is my favorite Peterson shape. They are all nice size billiards.

Status
Not open for further replies.