PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
In my Birthday Haul 2023* thread, I shared some pics of two birth year Dunhills and a pipe from the collection of the late pipe maker, Thomas Cristiano, that was made from a gnarled briar root that retained most of its original organic form; the Dunhills are both sixty years old this year and the root pipe was supposedly in Cristiano’s personal collection for about sixty years. While these pipes could be considered special in their own right, as @LotusEater pointed out, I mentioned that I would post about a very special birthday pipe in the weeks to come—that pipe has finally arrived and is in hand, but first some background is needed to fully appreciate why it’s so special.

Back in 2017, Savinelli received a shipment of stellar briar from Calabria. Shane Ireland of smokingpipes.com reported on his visit to the Savinelli factory. While he was there, one of the senior artisans, Massimo, was working on an Autograph Freehand Fan shaped pipe that showed incredible promise (there was an “Around the Burl” video at smokingpipes.com that showed this pipe being worked on, that used to be hosted on YouTube—it has since been taken down and now resides on Vimeo†). With this shape, there’s little wiggle room to work around a flaw if one reveals itself while carving. Massimo showed the nearly completed pipe to the factory manager, Luisa Bozzetti, and Shane Ireland. They all agreed that it would make an exquisite sandblast provided no flaws reared their ugly heads during the final stages of completion. Massimo went ahead with the blast. As good fortune would have it, it went without a hitch; there were no blemishes, and the pipe was given the exalted grade of “Extraordinaire” (in Italian, “Eccezionale,” which translates more accurately to “Exceptional.”) Savinelli Autograph pipes are strictly graded according to shape, grain, and quality using these grades (also referred to as groups by Savinelli) in ascending order: 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, with the next level up being 0, 00, and 000 (the penultimate). The Extraordinaire grade of Autograph is almost as rare as hen’s teeth, and is the highest of the high, considered an even higher grade than the infrequently seen 000 (this grade should not be confused with the “EX” designation, which also stands for Extraordinaire, but is a reference to a pipe’s physical size, like “KS” or “King Size”); the Extraordinaire/Eccezionale grade has nothing to do with size, only the quality of the pipe. I’ve recently read that Savinelli produces approximately 100,000 pipes annually (this number was around 80,000 in 2015, so pipe sales must’ve improved in the last eight years; compare that to their production number of 400,000 circa 1973, and it’s downright sad). In years past, it has been written that on average, perhaps, only two or three Extraordinaire pipes are produced in a five-year period—this should give you a pretty good idea of what a miniscule percentage an Extraordinaire represents in relation to the company’s total output; based on these numbers, approximately one out of every quarter million Savinelli pipes is an Extraordinaire. I‘ve noticed an increase in Extraordinaires offered in the last couple of years, so the 1:250,000 ratio may no longer hold true—even so, they still represent a drop in the bucket. This Fan had amazing ring grain and straight grain. Rather than mask this grain structure with stain, the decision was made to leave the pipe in a true virgin finish—no stain, no wax, no nothing. It was the first virgin, sandblasted, Extraordinaire Fan ever produced by the company. It was sold on smokingpipes.com

Below are pics of this pipe and its presentation box:

2017-Savinelli-Extraordinaire-Fan-01.jpg

So, last year, in 2022, I saw four Autograph Extraordinaire pipes offered for sale on Savinelli’s own website, among them, a virgin, sandblasted, Fan. Knowing how infrequently an Extraordinaire turns up, and that only one other virgin, sandblasted, Fan had been released (to the best of my knowledge), I started eyeballing this pipe big time. I liked the pipe’s squared off chili pepper-like stem and presentation box with its scalloped corner cutouts and blue rounded pillars much better than the pipe stem and box of the 2017 pipe. I began seriously thinking about treating myself to this pipe for my upcoming 60th birthday in February of 2023. Living through five complete twelve-year Chinese Zodiac Rabbit cycles seemed like a worthy thing to commemorate. Why not mark the event with a special pipe? I had designed a reissue of a novel by one of my closest friends (whom I met in art school forty years ago this coming Fall) and thought it would be a nice sentiment to take the book design fee and forever associate my design for my friend’s book with this birthday pipe. The gig was a last minute save because the book had to go to press soon; the previous designer hadn’t done a satisfactory job typesetting the interior of the book. My friend refused to have his novel presented so poorly and wanted me to salvage the project and keep production on schedule. After a brief video meeting and a virtual handshake with the publisher, I worked under a very tight deadline on the book design and delivered the interior and cover in time so that the novel would come out as scheduled. There was a wrinkle in my plan to use the proceeds from the book for the pipe—payments got switched to a portal system before my invoice got processed and I had never been entered into that new system by anyone at the publishing house. After the book came out, there were many e-mails back and forth trying to get someone to enter me into the system; there were major delays and the funds from the book (for the pipe) were stuck in limbo. All I could do was look at the pipe on Savinelli’s website (I wasn’t ready to spring for the pipe without that payment). Black Friday rolled around, and I failed to realize that Black Friday sales were international. Everything on Savinelli’s website was heavily discounted that day, and someone smartly snagged the Extraordinaire Fan earlier that morning before I thought to check the website; had I taken into account the time difference in Italy, I might’ve checked sooner, in the middle of the night. With the big discount, I would’ve considered possibly diverting some earmarked shekels for the pipe. I was crestfallen. Part of me almost felt like I jinxed getting this pipe after I had downloaded and saved thirty photos of it from the 360° view a few days earlier, something akin to counting my chickens before they hatched.

2022-Savinelli-Extraordinaire-Fan-01.jpg

More to follow.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I was very bummed about missing out on this fine hunk of briar. I wouldn’t say I was depressed—it was, after all, just a pipe (albeit a nifty one)—but, I had gotten it in my head that this would be my birthday pipe and was very excited to acquire a Fan with a finish so very rarely seen from Savinelli. It wouldn’t be an understatement to say I was incredibly disappointed. Then a thought popped into my head. Was it possible that more than two of these Extraordinaire Fans were made? Might there be one in the historic shop on Via Orefici 2, in Milan, that wasn’t on the website? Maybe one was sitting on a shelf in the factory, held back for future release? I e-mailed my contact at Savinelli and inquired about getting an Extraordinaire Fan like the one that had just sold; it turned out there wasn’t another available, but he told me to give him a couple of weeks to see what he could do.

In mid-December, I was informed that a suitable briar block might come in the next shipment, but I couldn’t be promised anything until the block was carved and completed—any flaws, i.e., a sand pit, or a void, could appear at any time as the pipe was being shaped or blasted. I fully understood that a grade couldn’t be determined until the pipe was done. It could turn out as a 6, maybe an 8, or 000; there was no guarantee it would be an Extraordinaire. There was nothing to do except wait. So, I waited.

At the end of January, just a week and half from my birthday, I received an e-mail saying, “I am proud and extremely happy to let you know we found a perfect piece, I requested specifically for you …” Attached was a picture of the completed virgin, sandblasted Extraordinaire Fan, and a few pics of its box. My first impression was that the box was simpler than I had hoped. I would have preferred something less rectangular, a little more individual, more like the box of the pipe I missed getting. But I knew beforehand that the boxes were crafted one at a time, no two alike. The chances of getting one like the previous Fan was housed in was next to nil. Even though this box appeared to be almost plain on initial viewing, its subtle complexity became more evident as I looked at it longer—there was a lot more going on with these ripples and undulating patterns—the unusual grain on this presentation box echoed the grain on the pipe and the blue stain of the box tied in harmoniously with the hand-cut blue swirled stem. The aesthetic attributes of the complete package washed over me and began to make total sense. This was cooler the more I looked at it. Much cooler. I loved it. My contact had really come through and Massimo (and others) delivered the goods with the pipe. In early February, Savinelli’s goldsmith engraved a .925 silver plate for the presentation box. My initials, “J W,” were stamped on the pipe above “SAVINELLI AUTOGRAPH” (linking it directly to me, the custom presentation box notwithstanding). The “E” to the right of “MADE IN ITALY” stands for the Extraordinaire/Eccezionale grade designation. The silver plate on the underside of the presentation box lid translates to:

For Jeff
11 February 1963

That’s the lengthy back story. Without further ado, here are some pictures of my very special Savinelli 60th Birthday pipe and its custom box:

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-01.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-02.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-03.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-04.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-05.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-06.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-07.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-08.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-09.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-10.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-11.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-12.jpg

Savinelli-Eccezionale-JW-60-Note.jpg

The note enclosed translates roughly to:

Dear Jeff

We wish you to spend special moments in the countryside with this pipe that we have created with passion for you.

The note is signed by all involved in making my pipe:

Alvise (the head of National Sales, and now Custom Pipes)

Dario (consulted with and took direction from the lead carver, Massimo, and did the initial shaping of the briar)

Ivan (did the final finishing, clean up, and polishing of the pipe)

Massimo (lead carver, did the final pipe carving/shaping, and sandblasting)

Luca (fabricated the hand cut stem)

I’m ecstatic that this came together. It’s an incredibly cool thing to commission a single artisan to make a custom pipe for you. @alaskanpiper ‘s “Cutty Madness”‡ threads illustrated that x 16! But it’s surreal, and even more awesome to my mind, to have a major marque like Savinelli make something distinctive like this just for you. It’s kind of mind blowing when I stop and think about it, knowing what Luisa Bozzetti has said about Savinelli’s Freehand pipes, and what had to happen to create this objet d’art:

“When we choose to make Freehand pipes, we must stop production on the standard shapes. The process for Freehands is much more involved and takes much more time. Finding the best people from the production line and pulling them to make Freehands is challenging since it's not an assembly line, but rather a one- or two-man operation.”

The shape of this Fan doesn’t quite have the same graceful flair from front to back as the other two Extraordinaire Fans; it doesn’t appear to be as long from front to back either, but I much prefer the beveled chamber edge on mine and the deeper side indentations. Like the old adage says, “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.” It’s mine. The other two aren’t. Plus, things turned out way cooler than buying the pipe that was already made and listed on Savinelli’s website. It’s no secret that I’m into pipes bearing this name. I smoke them quite often and post them in the WAYS threads with regularity. I appreciate the company’s rich history and love many of their designs (some of you will recall the armchair detective work that went into the first-generation Punto Oro I shared that bore the Brebbia Gnome on its shank§). I missed out on a pipe that was already made that could be considered a birthday pipe and ended up with something truly unique, that was made specifically for me, that is a birthday pipe. I am forever grateful to all the folks at Savinelli who made this possible! I feel honoured that the pipe was made while still under the helm of Luisa Bozzetti, before her recent retirement in February (after starting out there as a teenager cleaning tables for ten hours a day with a sponge fifty years ago, leaving as the company’s factory manager, and now has a line of pipes named after her!); fortunate to have such a rare and flawless pipe worked on by Massimo before his upcoming retirement this Summer; and last, but not least, indebted to my friend, Alvise Peltrera, for making this all possible.

I didn’t think I would ever be “that guy,” but I’m very tempted to use white cotton gloves when smoking this (gloves were used at Savinelli when handling it, as a matter of course). I have several Corallo di Mare Punto Oros with virgin finishes and they’re all kind of grubby looking from handling. Over time, skin oils make them look soiled and dull, kind of unappealing. I know some people think of that patina as a positive thing, the way Meerschaum colours from white to “shit brown,” (to quote @condorlover1 ) but I sometimes think I’d prefer that my sepiolite pipes stay white and my virgin briar remain bright, light, and clean. I’m sure this will naturally darken over time as it’s exposed to air and oxidizes, but I’m not in any rush to make it look dirty through normal usage just yet. Now, I just need to figure out what I want to smoke in it.

Links:

*Birthday Haul 2023

Around the Burl, Savinelli Extraordinaire
@shaneireland

Cutty Madness (first post)
Cutty Madness (last post)

§Savinelli Punto Oro 1002 Billiard from quite possibly, the very first year that line was produced: 1958

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Congratulations on the fantastic pipe. While I am a sucker for seeing a patina develop on virgin briar, this one would take a lot of time and handling for sure. Couldn’t blame you on the glove thing.

Honestly though, as nice as your new pipe is, I might be more impressed that you’re actually 60. Happy Birthday!