16 Carvers. 16 Cutties. Let's Pick a Winner!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Well. After my last big commission project a couple years ago (A 7 day set of Alaska themed pipes from various carvers) I immediately found myself itching to dream up another fun project. After brainstorming and saving some coin for a couple years, I thought it would be fun to commission various carvers to create the same shape, with full artistic freedom. I decided that the shape that allows for the most variance in artistic interpretation (and that I am actually fond of) would the the classic cutty.

So with that in mind, I decided to have even more fun with it by turning it into a sort of informal competition. Last August, I commissioned what I consider to be 16 of the best carvers in the world, 8 from the United States, and 8 International carvers, to create their interpretation of the Cutty shape with very minimal restrictions. After all I want to enjoy smoking the damn things, and keep things fair, so the rules were as follows.

1. The pipe must be 5.5 inches or less, and weigh no more than 2oz.
2. The pipe must have 1/4 bend or less.
3. The pipe must be sandblasted.

Everything else, stem material and colors, accents, finishes, undernipple or not, cant, shaping, etc. was entirely up to the carver. All questions throughout the process related to these elements were simply answered "It is entirely up to you."

Now that I have all of the pipes in hand, I have created a March Madness style bracket (Cutty Madness?) to determine a winner. Similar to our beloved American sports leagues, each side of the bracket will organized by conference (USA on one side, International on the other) until a champion from each side goes head to head in the final to determine, for lack of a better title, a Cutty World Champion.

So with that, keep your eyes peeled in the coming weeks for individual matchups in this first round of 16. All matchups will be listed blind, and the carvers and their origin countries will not be listed until the competition has ended. If you believe you can identify the carver based on characteristics of the pipe, please try to keep that information to yourself!

Here we go! This should be fun.

Frank

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well. After my last big commission project a couple years ago (A 7 day set of Alaska themed pipes from various carvers) I immediately found myself itching to dream up another fun project. After brainstorming and saving some coin for a couple years, I thought it would be fun to commission various carvers to create the same shape, with full artistic freedom. I decided that the shape that allows for the most variance in artistic interpretation (and that I am actually fond of) would the the classic cutty.

So with that in mind, I decided to have even more fun with it by turning it into a sort of informal competition. Last August, I commissioned what I consider to be 16 of the best carvers in the world, 8 from the United States, and 8 International carvers, to create their interpretation of the Cutty shape with very minimal restrictions. After all I want to enjoy smoking the damn things, and keep things fair, so the rules were as follows.

1. The pipe must be 5.5 inches or less, and weigh no more than 2oz.
2. The pipe must have 1/4 bend or less.
3. The pipe must be sandblasted.

Everything else, stem material and colors, accents, finishes, undernipple or not, cant, shaping, etc. was entirely up to the carver. All questions throughout the process related to these elements were simply answered "It is entirely up to you."

Now that I have all of the pipes in hand, I have created a March Madness style bracket (Cutty Madness?) to determine a winner. Similar to our beloved American sports leagues, each side of the bracket will organized by conference (USA on one side, International on the other) until a champion from each side goes head to head in the final to determine, for lack of a better title, a Cutty World Champion.

So with that, keep your eyes peeled in the coming weeks for individual matchups in this first round of 16. All matchups will be listed blind, and the carvers and their origin countries will not be listed until the competition has ended. If you believe you can identify the carver based on characteristics of the pipe, please try to keep that information to yourself!

Here we go! This should be fun.

Frank
Very cool...and very much looking forward to seeing them.

One question...why did you decide to insist they all had to be sandblasted?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
So statistically speaking america is the most likely winner
Well, yes and no. Regardless of the outcome of earlier rounds, the final round will be a US carver against an international carver, each with an even shot at the win. But on individual country basis, America is assured a spot in the final given that they make up half the bracket, so yes, an international carver, as a representative of their individual country, will have a steeper climb to get there.

Regardless, I've set it up more like a hybrid of March Madness and the PGA President's Cup. Basically a US team vs a team from the rest of the world.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
One question...why did you decide to insist they all had to be sandblasted?
To keep things more fair. I feel like votes would be more likely to swing on the single issue of preferring smooth to sanblasted (or the opposite) rather than the overall work itself.

In addition, I also had the aspect of cost to consider. With some of the carvers involved, smooth options would have as much as doubled the cost of the project, and I preferred to have at least a general idea of what this was going to cost out of the gate.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
But what does the winner get?
The title of Lord Grand High Chancellor of the Cutty!

Honestly though, I'd take the ship! Looks cool AF and I have so much damn whiskey already that green swill would simply get regifted. One of the best labels in all the liquor world though. So classy. Just wish I could say the same for what's inside the bottle!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is exactly the concept/premise of the Kansas City Pipe Show carving contest that was held for ten years. Every year was a different shape.

Packages arrived from everywhere. As many as 75 entries. Took weeks of man-hours to deal with logistically, and a full day to judge.

Every contest declared seven winners in order to make a 7-day set. Every year had a custom made display stand, and the set was won by lottery drawing by someone somewhere in the world. (Tickets were sold in the year leading up to the event.)

The contest ended with (what else?) the onset of COVID & related. As did the KC show itself. :cry:

Anyway, trying to re-boot the concept online was discussed at length several times, but fizzled out because of the hellacious photography problems involved, packing/un-packing, shipping, getting a dedicated website, and so forth.

HOWEVER

It looks like a "do-able" size version is not only possible, but gonna happen. :) :) :)

All it takes is a determined Alaskan, a moose or two to take the pics, a grizzle bar to do the packing and un-packing (they especially enjoy the unpacking), and Kevin's bandwidth.

This should be fun.

(My great great great grandfather on my mother's side literally bought Alaska. A guy named Seward. Besides oil, forests, and mountains, it looks like the PipeWorld was also a winner. It just took a while.)