PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Short and to the point. The tin note is really nice. Sweet and grassy. I can’t smell the tequila but I get the hints of elderflower and honey. It rubbed out to a nice ribbon. It was moist so I let it dry on the tray for 10 minutes. It packed and lit well. I had to perform a handful of relights.
Taste: I got orientals through the whole thing. Hints of Virginia’s , casing was undetectable. Slightly sweet aftertaste on the tongue, nary a bite.
Verdict: it’s good, nice and light.It could be an all day smoke if one were so inclined. Does it live up to the hype? Nah..

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I’m gonna go on a limb here and say it probably needs at least a few months of age. C&D uses young Virginias. I was just smoking Carolina Red Flake w/ Perique today, and you could just taste how young those Virginias are. It definitely has aging potential, though. The only C&D that blew me away “fresh” was the 2019 release of Carolina Red Flake, but that had leaf from 2015 that they had been aging.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
I’m gonna go on a limb here and say it probably needs at least a few months of age. C&D uses young Virginias. I was just smoking Carolina Red Flake w/ Perique today, and you could just taste how young those Virginias are. It definitely has aging potential, though. The only C&D that blew me away “fresh” was the 2019 release of Carolina Red Flake, but that had leaf from 2015 that they had been aging.
I’ll definitely revisit this. Like I said, it was nice, but not nectar of the gods nice

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
In my experience, it isn't accurate to judge a C&D tobacco blend until the tin has been opened two to three weeks. I'm smoking through a tin of one year old Sun Bear right now that's been opened a couple of weeks. It is fantastic. I don't understand "all the hype" thing. Penzance is hyped. I don't see Sun Bear having been hyped.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
In my experience, it isn't accurate to judge a C&D tobacco blend until the tin has been opened two to three weeks. I'm smoking through a tin of one year old Sun Bear right now that's been opened a couple of weeks. It is fantastic. I don't understand "all the hype" thing. Penzance is hyped. I don't see Sun Bear having been hyped.
Well , hype is maybe a bit much.... buying frenzy?

Reactions: 3rdguy and BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well , hype is maybe a bit much.... buying frenzy?
I wouldn't even go that far. Forum numbers are a drop in the bucket compared to non-forum members comprising online shop's clientele. Even if each buyer bought ten tins of the 8000 tins available, which is typical to avoid shipping, it's likely there were thousands of customers buying 2-5 tins. Being released at midnight, it did take nearly twelve hours to sell out.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The only C&D that blew me away “fresh” was the 2019 release of Carolina Red Flake, but that had leaf from 2015 that they had been aging.

I’ve smoked a lot of C and D, both fresh and aged, and while many have been quite good, I have yet to taste a single one, small batch, one off, or otherwise that has rivaled their good old staple, Bayou Morning Flake.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana

+1 to aging.

Also, Carolina Red Flake is hands down the best smoked I have ever had. It even beats out my favorite go-to, Embarcadero.

Reactions: americaman

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I’ve smoked a lot of C and D, both fresh and aged, and while many have been quite good, I have yet to taste a single one, small batch, one off, or otherwise that has rivaled their good old staple, Bayou Morning Flake.

I have a tin of that coming with my order of Sun Bear. Never tried it, but I love perique and I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I've had one bowl so far and I think I like it. Its hard to put my finger on a description of the flavor, for me anyway. I taste the sweetness of the VAs, but its the VAs and not the honey that is sweet. The honey comes through as the honey flavor, minus the sweetness of honey, if that makes any sense at all. The tequila, not so sure. Not sure what part of the flavor profile would be the tequila. Anybody? I'm going to keep at it and see what else I can pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.