PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
I bought my rations based off of a single bowl I was gifted of the original release that I just smoked last week. Not sure exactly when the original release was, but with that much age on it, I enjoyed it. I have yet to try it fresh as my package hasn’t arrived yet. I have no problem cellaring it, or if I lose interest perhaps a die hard fan will trade me something for it.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have 2 tins of Sun Bear delivering tomorrow. I have one dated 7/19 that has been in a jar since last release. I popped the jar today. I am very new to Virginia's and haven't really gotten them yet. But, with a year of age this was a delight. I rubbed it out around 10:30 am and packed my pipe. First char light around 5:30 pm with a cold Shock Top poolside.
Really enjoyed this. Sweet with lots of subtle flavor. Honey is great, whisp of the elderflower and tequila hinted and tasted, but not over powered. Hoping to get more aged Virginia's and learn the enjoyment of them.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
I have 2 tins of Sun Bear delivering tomorrow. I have one dated 7/19 that has been in a jar since last release. I popped the jar today. I am very new to Virginia's and haven't really gotten them yet. But, with a year of age this was a delight. I rubbed it out around 10:30 am and packed my pipe. First char light around 5:30 pm with a cold Shock Top poolside.
Really enjoyed this. Sweet with lots of subtle flavor. Honey is great, whisp of the elderflower and tequila hinted and tasted, but not over powered. Hoping to get more aged Virginia's and learn the enjoyment of them.

That sounds delightful. I rarely let stuff dry that long in this heat. Success?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I too recently opened a 2019 tin and have had a few bowls. I really like it. To me, the mix of the elderflower and tequila taste almost berry-like, and predominate in the first half of the bowl. In the second half of the bowl, that fruity brightness fades quite a bit and that's when I can pick up the honey. Much like Bijou, the honey mixes well here with orientals.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I think I can smell the honey and tequila in the tin but to me the honey isn't detectable in the smoke much less the tequila. Maybe I get a faint whisper of the honey at times if anything. Its still a good smoke, a little too tart for my tastes but good nonetheless. Would pair well with a nice ice cold beer.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I am 6 bowls in and I like it. I have to dry it a bit but it is a really nice summertime smoke. Glad I picked some up finally.

Yes, its my summertime smoke as well. I have self imposed restrictions on when I can smoke certain blends to make them more special and aid in aging.

I decided when I got it and tasted it last year that I'll only smoke it during the summer. ??

Reactions: 3rdguy

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I too recently opened a 2019 tin and have had a few bowls. I really like it. To me, the mix of the elderflower and tequila taste almost berry-like, and predominate in the first half of the bowl. In the second half of the bowl, that fruity brightness fades quite a bit and that's when I can pick up the honey. Much like Bijou, the honey mixes well here with orientals.
Stoked! I have a tin of Bijou I’m waiting on, but it’s going to sit for a year. Damn, I’ll have wait.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Can you imagine all the excitement involved with making a tobacco like this? The gathering of ingredients with already some idea of their proportion. Toppings, in this case tequila, but in so small an amount that it cannot be separably detected. the initial blend and then the tasting. Tweaking/tasting, etc., etc., and then the triumph of the release. Finally reading reviews to find out if the public tasted what you had intended them to taste.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
Stoked! I have a tin of Bijou I’m waiting on, but it’s going to sit for a year. Damn, I’ll have wait.
Bijou is really good. I liked it fresh. Have a jar I smoke maybe once or twice a month. Been tasty every time.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
In my experience, it isn't accurate to judge a C&D tobacco blend until the tin has been opened two to three weeks. I'm smoking through a tin of one year old Sun Bear right now that's been opened a couple of weeks. It is fantastic.
I agree. I opened my first tin of Sunbear after it sat for a year. And I let it rest a few days after opening (as I've learned to do with C&D tobacco blends). It is very good. I grabbed more recently when it dropped again.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s a decent tobacco. I can tell the VA is young and tastes like a brown paper bag but they have fought this away somewhat by adding casings that negate this problem. The tequila gives it a slight saltiness not at all unlike an aged VA. The honey works a sweetness that covers up the unsweetened character of young VA. A smart solution to their problem with VAs. Gotta be tough to only have 2 to work with. Bravo. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.