PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Well,

Here goes my second attempt at blending. I'm calling this one "Kintail Navy Plug"

It consists of
2 tbsp Bright VA
2 tbsp Sutliff Matured Red VA
1 tsp Stoved Black VA
1 tsp Green River Black Cavendish

The casing is Tennessee Sorghum and Pussers Navy Rum.

I'll press it for 2 weeks in a 5.5" Pollen Press

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Just a suggestion; you might want to measure your tobacco ingredients by weight as opposed to volume. Seem to recall seeing videos of Russ and C&D using scales to measure tobacco when blending. This would give you a more accurate and repeatable measurement. Sort of like how bakers weigh flour and other ingredients as opposed to using plastic measuring cups.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
That looks like good stuff! Be sure to update us. I’ve been making krumble kake/plug out of a mix of Sutliff 515 rc-1 and Sutliff 507-s and couldn't be happier. It’s almost a true plug, and more firm than most C&D plugs I’ve tried. The tangy red and sweet stoved really meld together well with some time and pressure.

it looks and sounds like it should be a winner.

I hate to say anything, because (as my wife would accuse me) I don't want to sound like I am mansplanning or being a know it all... but, These prepped blending tobaccos were probably already cased before they were processed. So, technically, they are lightly topped.

I only got five pounds of lemon brightleaf from my crop this year. So, I blended it with some of my reds and browns from last year to try to get some body (mouth feel) to the thin smoking lemons. I enjoy it. I don't keep perfect records of amounts blended either, because I feel like making ten or so pounds at a time will be all I will make of that particular blend.
Next year, I will probably grow another variety, to give me more complex leaf to blend again.

What makes a successful blend to you? Do you try to achieve a particular flavor, or make one thing more palatable? What is the goal?

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
I assumed they were cased, although they didnt really smell like anything. IE the Cavendish didnt have that typical vanilla smell, the virginias were all grass and hay. That said.. I assumed it anyway.

Im going to try some growing next year as well. I bought red and bright VA seeds. Smyrna, Burley, and bunch of Orientals. Never grew or processed baccy before, so it should be fun figuring it out, failures too. Lifes for living and learning right?

As far as my blending goals.. I'm just experimenting for S's and G's right now. My first blend I tried an English.. and it needed more Latakia and less Virginias. I reckon as I get further down the road, I'll likely be more scientific, and focus on recreating or modifying things to my liking.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
How are you applying the rum? Are you spraying it on or just pouring it?

I've been thinking of adding rum to a couple of tobaccos just for fun. I was thinking of spreading the tobacco out on a plate and misting the the rum on with one of these:

misto-olive-oil.jpg

I was just going put it in a ziploc bag after application and let it soak in the dry it a bit and give it a whirl. Should I press it instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.