PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesmertens

Lurker
May 20, 2014
Hello All,

I have been smoking a pipe for about two months now but, my pipe gets hot to the touch. I am currently smoking out of an estate Golden Duke Dr. Grabow which appears to smoke very easy. I currently using the pinch tamp, pinch tamp alittle harder method.
Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum James!
A few things will help this:
Be sure the tobacco is plenty dry ... what are you smoking?

SLOWWWW DOWN ... almost all new pipers start puffing to fast and hard.

Experiment with the packing ... it should feel like soda through a straw (Not empty straw and not milkshake).
Good luck and keep trying!

jamesmertens

Lurker
May 20, 2014
Currently I am using Captain Black. I will try to pack it alittle looser it pulls but it is a little harder than soda. LOL

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I smoked Captain Black for several years as a new pipe smoker. The stuff is radioactive, trust me. Try one of the vanilla aromatics from Sutliff, maybe Vanilla Custard, and you may have an easier time of it. Just my opinion.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Three pieces of advice for you:

• Slow down.[/*]
  • Dump the Captain Black - get a tobacco that is not loaded with chemicals to keep it moist, and thus smokes hotter. I am not a big aro smoker, but a lot of fellas swear by Lane's 1Q.[/*]
  • Buy a better quality pipe than a Dr. Grabow. IMO, you are better off with a Missouri Meerschaum cob than a Dr. Grabow. [/*]

Welcome to pipe smoking; have fun, and enjoy the journey. :puffy:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
S-L-O-W D-O-W-N. Seriously, that is the golden rule and is all the advice you need regarding your issue. Welcome to the fold, brother.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Welcome aboard! Looks like you've already gotten some great advice. Definitely slow it down and let it sit for a bit if it gets to hot. And I'd take Juds advice and pick up a cob or 2. They're a great way to start.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I agree with all of the above, but I totally would order some Lane 1-Q. I love it. There was a sale a few weeks back that a pound was about 25 bucks. Happy Puffing

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Welcome to the hobby there buddy. I'm also fairly new and I had the same problem. I got on here for help and everyone told me to "slooooow down!" I didn't understand what that meant until I posted about asking to equate pipe smoking to driving a car at 5mph or 20mph. Someone posted that I just idle along. That's what clicked for me. Now I take long and slow draws filling my mouth and I don't worry about if the pipe is going to go out. I tamp very lightly as needed. A feather touch with the tamper just to get the tobacco to stay lit was the answer. Grab a nice tin of a quality aromatic too. There's a lot out there to try.

Enjoy and good luck!

jamesmertens

Lurker
May 20, 2014
Thanks for all the help guys, I tried packing it alittle looser and tried slowing down alot. I am having a few more issues keeping it lit but I am not too worried about that. I also picked up a new pipe and new tobacco, Its a Stanwell Featherweight Red and have been smoking Stanwell Melange in it. Still in the break in phase. It does get alittle warm but hopefully by slowing down some more I can get it all worked out. Thanks Again Everyone for all the help. By the way the Melange is awesome.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
So to avoid pipe getting hot.

* Puff easy and slo----w.

* Choose a better quality tobacco or dry your tobacco little bit.

* Use a pipe cleaner to absorb moisture during smoking.

* Use pipe temper lightly and not push down too hard.

* If pipe is hot in the previous smoke pack tobacco little bit loose. Tight pack make hot pipe too.

* Avoid windy weather or place.

* Enjoy your pipe smoking with time and space of mind not needed smoking.
WELCOME and hope you have happy smoking.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have this happen to me sometimes, and I notice it mostly when I am under a ceiling fan or outside with some wind. Often I will just set the pipe down for 10 mins or so and then come back to it once it has cooled down. I often find that the smoke tastes BETTER after letting it rest for awhile!

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
When a pipe got hot best way is let it sit for a while.

I do prefer until it goes out and a pipe got cool then re-light the tobacco.

You could have an amazing experience, full flavor of tobacco which I do really like it so I could wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.