PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I recommend Cairo as well! I love McClelland Orientals myself, and after exploring, Cairo is the closest I’ve come. I haven’t had many others though.

Reactions: briarbuck

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I used to load up on McClelland Orientals and my favorite was the Drama Reserve. Given that, I highly recommend Sutliff Balkan Sobraine Orignial Mixture Match. There's a sweet vegetative note to the oriental that to me is very pronounced in the BSOM Match. Definitely has the wow factor you may be looking for and you can buy in bulk for around 2 and change per ounce. It's a steal and yet one of the best tobaccos in my rotation now. I actually like it better than the Drama Reserve. At least check out a two ounce sample. Will run you like 5 dollars. Can't lose.

Reactions: briarbuck

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
@cosmicfolklore sent me a jar of his home brew, Golden Compass. Quite good. Lemon VA's, Semoise and Perique. Tasty
I bet that was good! I often thought Semoise would do well blended. I wasn’t a big fan of the Le Petit Robin blend though, I felt there wasn’t enough Semoise in that one and it was just too shag for me.

I mixed some Semoise in OJK and it turned out wonderful... it turned the skank up to 11.

I'm glad you liked the Golden Compass, I wish that I had made a lot more.
I have been on a burley and cigar leaf binge throughout lockdown. PS Cube Cut, Burley Flake, and a whole bunch of C&D cigar stuff... and a whole lotta that new Rustica Flake. I haven't smoked as much, maybe just 8 or so pipes in a day. It's funny how a change of pace gives you the opportunity to try doing other things also.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I've heard good things about GL Pease orientals and have been meaning to try Cairo. It sounds like I'll have to give the Sutliff BS match blend a try as well.

Honestly I haven't sought out orientals because I love McClelland orientals when I get that itch and have a bunch of virginia and VA/per in the cellar that I enjoy. I occasionally bust out some of the few McClelland orientals I cellared before they closed up shop. They are always tasty but I have a feeling if I start really going down the oriental rabbit hole that I will truly get sucked into TAD.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Try some D&R Ramback, you can get them by the oz

Ramback Regular is rich in wonderful, fragrant Izmir, one of the best known Turkish tobaccos for a slightly sweet and exotic flavor

Ramback Gold utilizes the same flavorful Izmir as Ramback Regular but adds a bright flue-cured leaf for a lighter, sweeter flavor.

Ramback Balkan combines some uniquely sweet flue-cured tobacco with the bright and exotic flavor of select small-leaf Orientals, including the fabled Yenidje.