Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have a problem. Over the past 5 years I can collected Virginia's of many forms. I have my technique down and @ 150+ pounds of various virginia's, my cellar is set for the end of time. Va-pers, va-ber's, flakes, coins or shag I love them all.

I have wandered down the latakia road many times and have never liked it. I don't want something that already tastes pre-smoked. The closest I will come to latakis is Gawith Navy Flake, and even that is a struggle.

Last month I got a wee bit bored with the lockdown and decided to expand my horizons, so I opened up a 10+ year old can of McClellands #24 orientals that I had sitting in the stash. I have had almost no experience with these blends prior. I must say, it was fabulous. When I smoked butts I always was a Camel guy, now I know why. Camels always had that little extra somethin somethin that others didn't.

Next opened up a 10 year old can of McClelland Drama reserve. A-ma-zing.

I am now sold on the Orientals. OK you can see the issue here. I like McClelland Orientals. But they are gone. Only are sitting on 300 gms or so. Any suggestions from you oriental experts on a few blends that fit that profile?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I have a problem. Over the past 5 years I can collected Virginia's of many forms. I have my technique down and @ 150+ pounds of various virginia's, my cellar is set for the end of time. Va-pers, va-ber's, flakes, coins or shag I love them all.

I have wandered down the latakia road many times and have never liked it. I don't want something that already tastes pre-smoked. The closest I will come to latakis is Gawith Navy Flake, and even that is a struggle.

Last month I got a wee bit bored with the lockdown and decided to expand my horizons, so I opened up a 10+ year old can of McClellands #24 orientals that I had sitting in the stash. I have had almost no experience with these blends prior. I must say, it was fabulous. When I smoked butts I always was a Camel guy, now I know why. Camels always had that little extra somethin somethin that others didn't.

I am now sold on the Orientals. OK you can see the issue here. I like McClelland Orientals. But they are gone. Only are sitting on 300 gms or so. Any suggestions from you oriental experts on a few blends that fit that profile?
My advice is more general, as McClelland was on its way out as I was entering the world of pipe smoking, and I never got to try any of their blends:
Try a couple ounces of some different Oriental-forward bulk blends. It sounds like the TAD is strong with you, so maybe try to find something that could be ordered a pound (or five) at a time if you like it.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
My advice is more general, as McClelland was on its way out as I was entering the world of pipe smoking, and I never got to try any of their blends:
Try a couple ounces of some different Oriental-forward bulk blends. It sounds like the TAD is strong with you, so maybe try to find something that could be ordered a pound (or five) at a time if you like it.
TAD...what? Who me?? lol (I resemble that remark)

tenor.gif

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
GLP Embarcadero is one I like a lot. It's Reds and Izmir, straight up. Lots of body, a fair share of strength and a nice, round flavor.

I didn't have much experience with McC Va-Or blends. It seems like Va-Or is a genre that could use more examples, as the combinations are potentially endless. I guess part of the problem is getting single-leaf varietals of Orientals as most comes as a mixture of different leaves sold as "Turkish"

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio

McClelland was gone before I entered the hobby and I have not had the good fortune to try any of them. However, Oriental-forward blends is my top preference and I have acquired quite a few blends in the genre. I won't list them all and what I like as it my no be relevant since I don't have any knowledge of the McClelland Oriental profile and therefore don't want to send it you the wrong direction. I'm happy to share the list of suggestion if you are interested, but for now I will just say that one of my favorites is Rattray's Red Rapparee.

Also, below are several recent threads that you may want to review regarding Oriental blend recommendations:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Dan tobacco Ascanian No 1 is a favorite but Estervals is the only place I've found to purchase it. C&D has a number of good offerings. Sunday Picnic is superb. Oriental Silk, Bijou, XX Flake and Sun Bear are all good. Sun Bear is going to be released again next week, better stock up. HU Joschi's Oriental Sunrise and Soraya are very good. Watch City Persian Slipper, Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture and Davidoff Royalty are good if you can stand a pinch of Latakia. GLP Temple Bar is another good one.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Robert McConnell makes a very good oriental called appropriately, "The Original Oriental".
Plus one. Not sure if it will have too much Lat for you though. It’s definitely detectable but I think it’s just a whisper but I’m not very sensitive to Lat so it may be too much for you. I think this is one of the best Orientals on the market.

I see @beefeater33 agrees with me so I’ll make this a plus 2. ;)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You might try Steve Fallon (pipestud) on eBay to get some of the old McClelland Orientals. You will pay for them but if that is what you like and you can afford it go for it.

Reactions: briarbuck

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Dan tobacco Ascanian No 1 is a favorite but Estervals is the only place I've found to purchase it. C&D has a number of good offerings. Sunday Picnic is superb. Oriental Silk, Bijou, XX Flake and Sun Bear are all good. Sun Bear is going to be released again next week, better stock up. HU Joschi's Oriental Sunrise and Soraya are very good. Watch City Persian Slipper, Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture and Davidoff Royalty are good if you can stand a pinch of Latakia. GLP Temple Bar is another good one.
I have a real old can of Davidoff Royalty that I may crack. Nice list. I wish I could like Lat, but I've said no-mas.