PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Here it is. Maybe it’s less because it has a nickel band? Maybe? I see now the stem on the one you posted is Lucite and looks much nicer.
Yeah the Kapries are more of a mid-tier Peterson I guess you’d day. Cumberland pattern stem (which I’m a sucker for), sterling silver bands or army mounts, and generally the ones I’ve seen have nice ring grain, which has been rare for Peterson until they recently revamped their sandblasting process. I’m sure that Sav or Donegal Rocky should smoke just as well, though.

@anotherbob I agree completely. I buy every pipe with the intention of having it be a treasured lifelong companion. The good ones certainly will be. As I’ve become more experienced and my tastes have matured, my budget per pipe has matured as well. It used to be under $100, now it’s closer to $200. Which is still relatively “cheap” in terms of nice pipes. My most recent purchase was a nice birth year Ashton Sovereign that set me back $250. Hurts me to pay that much for a pipe, but I regret nothing.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Yeah the Kapries are more of a mid-tier Peterson I guess you’d day. Cumberland pattern stem (which I’m a sucker for), sterling silver bands or army mounts, and generally the ones I’ve seen have nice ring grain, which has been rare for Peterson until they recently revamped their sandblasting process. I’m sure that Sav or Donegal Rocky should smoke just as well, though.

@anotherbob I agree completely. I buy every pipe with the intention of having it be a treasured lifelong companion. The good ones certainly will be. As I’ve become more experienced and my tastes have matured, my budget per pipe has matured as well. It used to be under $100, now it’s closer to $200. Which is still relatively “cheap” in terms of nice pipes. My most recent purchase was a nice birth year Ashton Sovereign that set me back $250. Hurts me to pay that much for a pipe, but I regret nothing.
Can you post some pictures? I can’t find that one. I never knew Ashston made pipes.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

it's like something clicks the moment you realize that your 200 dollar pipe has cost you fractions of a cent per smoke and the price suddenly doesn't seem like all that much. A thousand or more still feels steep and probably will forever, considering that 200 gets you a pretty sweet pipe that will last.

Reactions: mtwaller

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
it's like something clicks the moment you realize that your 200 dollar pipe has cost you fractions of a cent per smoke and the price suddenly doesn't seem like all that much. A thousand or more still feels steep and probably will forever, considering that 200 gets you a pretty sweet pipe that will last.
Amen to that

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Can you post some pictures? I can’t find that one. I never knew Ashston made pipes.
Ashton pipes are an entirely different company from the one that makes Ashton pipe tobacco, I do believe. I’m quite fond of their pipes. Hand crafted quality that can be found for the same price as many factory pipes.

Here is the ‘89 Sovereign:
45641455-0D0A-4E9E-940A-87E04B5ED30B.jpeg
D5A2F30F-DF1C-4267-8800-1D01095238A1.jpeg

I’ve got a small collection of Ashton’s, all are great smokers. The photos below are low light and washed out, they’re much more attractive in person.

1FA94519-E682-4C53-8A46-77CF8D9872E4.jpeg
1E66D3DD-9C82-4B96-A85F-EB5A7C408AC0.jpeg
C56630F8-F67A-4ACF-8BCF-A3C6DB4B2774.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My favorite Pete shape that doesn't get much attention is the brandy B11 available in various finishes and series and prices. It is a sitter that doesn't call attention to that feature, with a good big bowl, and bent stem. My two are a Shannon smooth and a Killarney smooth ebony with two slim silver-colored bands. I like them for their generous size and off-handed understatement.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Ashton pipes are an entirely different company from the one that makes Ashton pipe tobacco, I do believe. I’m quite fond of their pipes. Hand crafted quality that can be found for the same price as many factory pipes.

Here is the ‘89 Sovereign:
View attachment 46790
View attachment 46791

I’ve got a small collection of Ashton’s, all are great smokers. The photos below are low light and washed out, they’re much more attractive in person.

View attachment 46793
View attachment 46794
View attachment 46795
They are all beautiful pipes and the 89 is a stunner.

Reactions: mtwaller
Status
Not open for further replies.