PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ash
Ice and Freezer challenge? For those of us newer.
Here’s a link to the whole thread.

Aug 1, 2012
Here’s a link to the whole thread.

Thanks for that. An interesting experiment and a great conclusion...especially the last line of your conclusion.

I'm still not a water flush guy but no worries if someone else is.

Side question...why is the thread locked? It would be a great one to bump occasionally so that others could see it.

Reactions: jvnshr

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Thanks for that. An interesting experiment and a great conclusion...especially the last line of your conclusion.

I'm still not a water flush guy but no worries if someone else is.

Side question...why is the thread locked? It would be a great one to bump occasionally so that others could see it.
My guess is the thread locked during the migration of platforms from the old to this new one.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
That was a wild ? experiment.

One could conclude that while Briar is indeed capable of more punishment than a smoker could dish out, a Pipe’s most delicate and vulnerable area remains its finish.

Beauty is only “skin deep”

Since there are so many variables with regard to stains and finishes...

I’d say keep the outside waxed. Rinse carefully.

I will continue to rinse. I’m impressed with the ease, time saved and the cleanliness of the bowls and the cleaning process.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I'm new to this concept: You're rinsing the whole pipe with water after smoking to clean it?
Is this after each smoke or only as needed?
I'd think it'd take a long time for the pipe to dry if you're in a wet climate (NW).
I've rinsed and scrubbed new bowls to get the silly bowl coatings out, but I've been careful to keep the outside dry, just based on folklore.
I know water is bad for Peterson vulcanite stems, as I've had some that have spotted in the rain.

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
Water flushing any part of the pipe is always a risk. I didn't recall see anyone flushing a Jess , Or S Bang pipe.
Perhaps the price may have you thinking twice.

Reactions: tschiraldi

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Hot or Cooled a waxed tenon turns smoothly. Cob pipe shafts swell and contract greatly with temperature changes but cured briar holds its diameter far better. Hot or Cold, never use force to twist a tight stem or there may be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve cleaned my pipes the “traditional” way and have tried the flushing technique. I don’t see what the big deal is either way. If you’re satisfied with the cleanliness of your pipes, then that’s the right method. This on-going/multiple thread debate is similar to whether you prefer taking showers or baths. I prefer the former ?

Status
Not open for further replies.