PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Don't use water on the pipe sure sounds like a rule.

Anotherbob

I’m actually sold on the water rinse. Did another right after smoking today. Fast, easy and the bowl looks and smells fresh equating to great tasting smokes.

My priority is relaxing and burning tobacco. I can see some caution with Rare or valued pipes, but from what these guys are all saying, they’ve had no issues or concern.

I’m chalking this up to this particular pipe, which is an old no name.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Anotherbob

I’m actually sold on the water rinse. Did another right after smoking today. Fast, easy and the bowl looks and smells fresh equating to great tasting smokes.

My priority is relaxing and burning tobacco. I can see some caution with Rare or valued pipes, but from what these guys are all saying, they’ve had no issues or concern.

I’m chalking this up to this particular pipe, which is an old no name.
Well if a rule is something you're told you're not supposed to do... I think that for a long time people where told to not use water near with a briar pipe. Not saying one way or another about what anyone does with their pipes. And I wonder if there was some reason for that rule at one point. Or if it's just something that was assumed would damage a pipe. That's all.

Aug 1, 2012
I think ? it was Brobs who commented that hot water flushing could remove the stain and finish.

Another said, if that were the case, it would be the result of a poor finish.

I think both of you are correct. Behold...
View attachment 57194
The result of a single hot water flush from my kitchen sink.

Now, this is a decades old, no name basket stamped “imported Briar”

Will I continue to water flush? Because I smoke baskets, Yes. If my finish comes off, it comes off. I like the appearance of raw briar and it doesn’t alter my smoking expectations. Wax will make it look just fine.

BROBS was correct and I think he made specific mention of “orange or red” finishes being more vulnerable? Perhaps he can comment.

FYI

Merry Christmas ? Everyone.
OP...I know my input here is probably dreaded but I'm wondering why this specific result happened. Maybe it had more to do with the temperature of the water and the water pressure than the water itself. You mentioned that it felt like the finish was flaking off and that gets me to remembering all the Peterson pipes whose finish bubbled and flaked off when smoked even remotely hot. Might be something similar.

There are some water based stains used but they tend to fade relatively uniformly when exposed to running water. This is, in my opinion, not one of those.

Best of luck figuring it out OP.

Reactions: anotherbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well if a rule is something you're told you're not supposed to do... I think that for a long time people where told to not use water near with a briar pipe. Not saying one way or another about what anyone does with their pipes. And I wonder if there was some reason for that rule at one point. Or if it's just something that was assumed would damage a pipe. That's all.

A lot of people at the consumer level assumed it would damage a pipe due to stern warnings by those who made and/or sold bottles of liquids. Of course it was non-sense but marketing will do what it will do.

Reactions: jvnshr and Ahi Ka

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A lot of people at the consumer level assumed it would damage a pipe due to stern warnings by those who made and/or sold bottles of liquids. Of course it was non-sense but marketing will do what it will do.
I keep hearing that but haven't seen anything confirming it. To me it looks more like those liquids took the ball and ran with it. For one they don't seem like that much of a money maker especially when the reps for those products tell you that you can use alcohol instead but if you don't want to buy a bottle of booze you won't drink we have this product. Although there are a huge number of common products that did literally make up the need they serve (razors for women because they're not supposed to have hair on their legs, deodorant because the market for antiperspirant wasn't big enough and so on). But it seems like that no water thing goes back before the product for cleaning pipes. Personally though with zero proof I think it feels more like one of those rules that did used to have a reason and the reason is gone or mostly gone but the rule stuck. And having an older pipe have a reaction to water that alters the finish like this might indicate a good reason to avoid water in a pipe.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I've never commented on any of these water flush posts, but I cant help thinking that carvers spend years curing Briar blocks to get the moisture OUT of the wood, why the Hell would I intentionally apply water TO it???

Just think of how ticked all those ship-builders were for hundreds of years to undertake drying and curing lumber just for idjits to go plopping their wooden ships in the ocean of all places! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.