PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've been dabbling in pipe smoking on and off since the early 1980s. The last year or so I have gotten back into pipes with great enthusiasm. Accumulating several pipes, racks, tobacco and the myriad of goodies that goes along with the hobby. The top and bottom shelves of the end table next to my chair quickly became over cluttered with all my stuff and really looked kind of junky. My wife suggested we hit up some of the local antique shops to see if we could find a nice cabinet to hold all my pipes and accessories. I was a little unsure at first because to me "antique" is often a word used to describe over priced old wood furniture that needs thousands of hours of restoration to be of any use. What the heck...I decided to give it a go and wifey and I spent a weekend browsing through the local shops. In the first few shops I did find a few old ashtrays and other old smoking doodads but no cabinet. We finally ended up at a place called Red's Antiques in the little town of Tilbury Ontario. Here we found a beautiful cabinet that didn't need any work...that's right...bring it home, dust it off and put all my stuff inside. Perfect!! Ole Red wanted $150 for the cabinet but my lovely wife would have none of that and handily talked him down to $120. Thank you dear. The cabinet really suits me and fits nicely in the room where I spend most of my time. The only thing I did was put a light inside to better show the treasures that now reside within.
The upper glass section stores all the pretty stuff. The drawer holds all kinds of accessories and cleaning supplies and there is plenty of room down below for tobacco storage. Perfect!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I really like it - shows the pipes very well. At $120 that is a steal. Are you storing your cellar down below?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
@ peteguy: Yes I am using the bottom doors to cellar and store my tobacco. I forgot to mention that in the original text so I went back and added that in. :)

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Beautiful piece sir, very well done and a bargain at three times the price. Enjoy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's awesome, my cabinet was similarly sourced. I'd much rather have an older piece like that than pay four times that for a new piece. I found that three, six-pipe Fairfax racks fit neatly across the back of my cabinet, if you ever need to maximize the space.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
@anthony: I'm slowly adding to my pipe collection. I don't want to fill the cabinet too fast and draw unwanted attention to the chief financial officer of the home.
@shaintiques: That is a bear skull that I got from a successful bow hunt a few years ago.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
ssjones I will have to check those racks out. Currently all the racks in the cabinet are handmade by me, except one 3 pipe rack that was a gift from my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.