My New Marxman Bench Made Pipe

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Not uncommon on pipes of this age or style, they were often drilled by hand, meaning the stummle was held by hand and pushed onto a spinning drill chucked on the end of a motor horizontally. So draft holes can be bored off a little, it rarely has any effect on the function of the pipe.
I thought it quite ingenious. Not quite as perfect as the Peterson System 31 pipe but still a good attempt at getting a more turbulent around the stinger and thus slower and cooler flow.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Good day Marxman fans,

I recently came across this large less-than-lovely Marxan It was unsmoked, a trait that I remedied. Anyway, in looking at the boring, I noticed that the draught hole was not center drilled in the "cooling chamber". This is a term I used for this description not knowing a better one. Here are a couple of shots that explain:View attachment 250839View attachment 250837
The stamping of "Marxman" and "Imported Briar" are the only marks on her. I slid a drill bit into the draught hole to check and sure enough, it was drilled at an angle. I was surprised and fascinated at this little twist of craftsmanship. Have any on you noticed similar borings?
I own an almost identical Marxman and what I think makes it different are these traits:

1. Even more dog turd ugly than normal. Nearly crude. Obviously stained.

2. No size stamp but at least a C.

3. Didn’t even make Mell-O grade.

Were these “400” attempts?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just won this, what I call a Marxman “Bog Boy”. I have another Big Boy Apple and two Big Boy Billiards.

Most standard size Marxman Mell-o amd Super Briar pipes will have a .775” inch bore. A bigger one, marked B or C will have a .750” inch bore. This one looks like and the other Big Boys I own all have .880” inch bores, two have no grade stamps and no size stamps (Old Speedy is stamped Benchmade C), saddle stems, and might be the $15 size D or a failed 400 attempt that got lathe turned.

These are beyond the pale of super excellent dynamite smokers. You want one, but may not know it yet.:)

IMG_5127.jpegIMG_5128.jpegIMG_5130.jpegIMG_5132.jpegIMG_5133.jpeg
IMG_5131.jpeg
Once you get hooked on Marxman pipes anything else seems like wasted money.

They aren’t pretty.

It’s that briar he used.

Aug 11, 2023
Below are the pictures of the pipe. As you can see, it has never been smoked and has what I would refer to as a "real" stinger. The vulcanite stem seems .... cheap. I don't know why, but it just does. More to the point, the tenon must be a bit off centered because if you twist the stem, it clearly shows that one side is off. It clearly only fits on one way.
What is a "real" stinger versus a fake one? Also... how do I get my photos to arrange vertically rather than horizontally?

Reactions: Briar Lee
Aug 11, 2023
View attachment 251027
The photo of the Marxman is on a Life Magazine sized page. You can see the photo is the same size as my actual Marxman 400. Bob was a sticker for accuracy when it came to his advertisements.

The 400 looks like dogwater for $25. 🧐👌 BUT the Jumbo for only $10. I'm feeling it. Passes the vibe check for an era in which Ketchup 🍅 was spicy and The Rubaiyat was good reading among those in the know.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know there are devotees of the style, but I can't abide the crude rustication.
yeah I know and yet it slowly growing on me. Like that fungus that's affixed my shoes to my feet. No I don't have foot fungus. But honestly the rustication looks gold star to me as in it looks like some ones five year old is going to be an amazing wood worker in a few years.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
For years I’ve considered a truly massive seventies Ben Wade freehand my best pipe, and maybe it is the most impressive and largest pipe I own.

But today on my deck smoking it, the thing gets sorta hot to hold, with half inch thick bowl walls. It’s not as good a smoker as my Marxmans.

Bob Marx used nothing but the most seasoned and longest aged sponge soft ancient Algerian plateaux briar he could buy.

The carving and tooling was just a way to get them in the boxes and out to customers.

Reactions: telescopes and Tate

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
For years I’ve considered a truly massive seventies Ben Wade freehand my best pipe, and maybe it is the most impressive and largest pipe I own.

But today on my deck smoking it, the thing gets sorta hot to hold, with half inch thick bowl walls. It’s not as good a smoker as my Marxmans.

Bob Marx used nothing but the most seasoned and longest aged sponge soft ancient Algerian plateaux briar he could buy.

The carving and tooling was just a way to get them in the boxes and out to customers.

But Marx never reached for the stars!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
But Marx never reached for the stars!
And Richard Lee avoided Algerian briar.

Americans of that era judged a pipe by the beauty of the grain, and final finish.

We still do today, plus there are artisans making new shapes.

I had a Thermos I got for Christmas about 1977 lose it’s vacuum seal thirty years later. It still worked but not worth a damn compared to before, and Stanley replaced it.

The briar grown in the worst and most inhospitable place around the rim of the Mediterranean in Algeria must have had more air, natural insulation, than briar grown in more civilized and habitable places.

But that same insulation quality made it terrible to work with and the grain wasn’t as pretty.

Lees and Kaywoodies are gorgeous to look at and excellent smokers.

A Marxman just blows them away for smoking quality. Not sweeter, certainly not cooler, like smoking a little thermos bottle. You just puff exactly enough to fire the ember and release the smoke. It’s gloriously strong and flavorful.

That’s my theory anyway.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

Here you go boys. The price is obscene, but the collection is spot on perfect. I just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger at that price else I would.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper and Tate

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois

Here you go boys. The price is obscene, but the collection is spot on perfect. I just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger at that price else I would.
Make an offer! I'm tempted to see if they would go lower.

Reactions: telescopes

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

One Marxman alligator is enough eh? 🤪