PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This morning I bought a Mel-o grade Marxman for $20 delivered.

88FE81AA-B810-4F61-B56D-51DECD0149B6.jpeg7B464986-588A-455F-A1C9-D63715C82B30.jpeg

I do believe the old advertisements that claimed each Marxman was hand cut and bench made according to small batch production standards. But Marx had to peddle enough pipes to keep placing those beautiful professionally illustrated ads, and the Marxman shop was a factory, after all was said and done.

Did Bob Marx command there be so many Mel-o grades, so many Super Briars, and so many Benchmades according to orders?

Or did the best wind up Benchmades, a little less fancy a Super Briar, and Mel-o took up the rest that weren’t firewood?

Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
This morning I bought a Mel-o grade Marxman for $20 delivered.

View attachment 196550View attachment 196551

I do believe the old advertisements that claimed each Marxman was hand cut and bench made according to small batch production standards. But Marx had to peddle enough pipes to keep placing those beautiful professionally illustrated ads, and the Marxman shop was a factory, after all was said and done.

Did Bob Marx command there be so many Mel-o grades, so many Super Briars, and so many Benchmades according to orders?

Or did the best wind up Benchmades, a little less fancy a Super Briar, and Mel-o took up the rest that weren’t firewood?
I thought long and hard about that one. However, I have enough Marxmans. I am currently looking at a Cowan. Cowan was one of his carvers who went rogue and struck out on his own. They are even more crazy. But, strangely, they come across as high art you'd see in the sixties.

Imagine if Van Hopple made pipes.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

telescopes

Lmao. Nah, I just like to see pictures of the koolaid! 😆
It will happen. One night, when you are alone in the dark, you will suddenly be taken over by the desire to own an incredibly ugly pipe with crazy rusticated marking. You won't know why you feel this way. You just will.

And @LotusEater, just because you are in KC and surrounded by the cornfields of the midwest, you aren't safe either.

Reactions: LotusEater

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It will happen. One night, when you are alone in the dark, you will suddenly be taken over by the desire to own an incredibly ugly pipe with crazy rusticated marking. You won't know why you feel this way. You just will.

And @LotusEater, just because you are in KC and surrounded by the cornfields of the midwest, you aren't safe either.
Yeah I think @LotusEater is a closet Marxman fan. He probably has a bunch!

telescopes

The Guilty Pleasures.... @LotusEater

The secretive closeted pipe smoker lurks through the darkened alleyway pipe shops of yesteryear, sorting and parsing through the piles of old Grabows, Medicoes, Yello-boles, and all manner of older pipes. Rusticated visions of worm chewed paths across Old English stained briar rolls across his palms as he examines and catalogs the various treasures he finds in the boxes strewn across the glass cabinets and curios. And there, near the back of the pile, he spots it. You see it, don't you. You sense it. With a trembling hand, you wrap your fingers around it and bring it slowly to your eyes. Yes, there in the lantern lit light flickering in the low areas under the table where you kneel, you see it, all of it. Yes, it is the 400.

And now it is yours.

• Love
Reactions: LotusEater

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The Guilty Pleasures.... @LotusEater

The secretive closeted pipe smoker lurks through the darkened alleyway pipe shops of yesteryear, sorting and parsing through the piles of old Grabows, Medicoes, Yello-boles, and all manner of older pipes. Rusticated visions of worm chewed paths across Old English stained briar rolls across his palms as he examines and catalogs the various treasures he finds in the boxes strewn across the glass cabinets and curios. And there, near the back of the pile, he spots it. You see it, don't you. You sense it. With a trembling hand, you wrap your fingers around it and bring it slowly to your eyes. Yes, there in the lantern lit light flickering in the low areas under the table where you kneel, you see it, all of it. Yes, it is the 400.

And now it is yours.
New novel, 50 shades of briar???

I think I need a shower now....