My Nephew Is Mesmerized By His Box of Cereals When He Has His Breakfast, But He Is Only A Kid.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
The only 'blending' I attempted was mixing 50/50 some Germain's Rich Dark Flake & Brown Flake. The result was rubbish and it made me realise how skilled the top blenders are to make such amazing tasting tobaccos.
This is because you're mixing tobacco that has already been processed with a topping. Back in the day, the tobacco blender was only following instructions from the customers, the true master blenders of the time. Most of us are more reliant on the expertise of professional blenders such as Mark Ryan, Russ Oulette, etc., but if you know what you like, there is no one like you to mix your own tobacco.

Jun 9, 2018
England
This is because you're mixing tobacco that has already been processed with a topping. Back in the day, the tobacco blender was only following instructions from the customers, the true master blenders of the time. Most of us are more reliant on the expertise of professional blenders such as Mark Ryan, Russ Oulette, etc., but if you know what you like, there is no one like you to mix your own tobacco.
Honestly, there's so many blends I haven't even tried yet that mixing my own is not something I'd bother with at the mo.

I was saying in another thread that I'd like to try the Gawith Brandy twist that is sadly no longer in production. I might at some point try soaking some unflavoured rope in Brandy to see if I can make something similar but as for actually blending my own? I'll leave that to the pros for now.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Honestly, there's so many blends I haven't even tried yet that mixing my own is not something I'd bother with at the mo.

I was saying in another thread that I'd like to try the Gawith Brandy twist that is sadly no longer in production. I might at some point try soaking some unflavoured rope in Brandy to see if I can make something similar but as for actually blending my own? I'll leave that to the pros for now.
What I am trying to say is that the true master blender is you yourself if you know what you like. Like I said, back in the time the tobacconist only followed instructions from the customers when it all came down to blending tobacco.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
So am I...have you ever watched Cocoa Puffs turn the milk into chocolate? Ever wondered why a Rice Krispie pops in the bowl? I mean come on man! These are observations that have endured for eternity with no clear scientific answer WHY!

Jun 9, 2018
England
What I am trying to say is that the true master blender is you yourself if you know what you like. Like I said, back in the time the tobacconist only followed instructions from the customers when it all came down to blending tobacco.
I do know what I like but I've only been smoking a pipe about 4 years so I don't think I'd have the skills to come up with something better than what I can buy from a shop.

Seriously, you could put me and 100 monkeys in separate rooms with blending tobaccos and I bet the monkeys would come up with a far superior blend.

I think maybe Cornell and Diehl are missing a trick here.
'Small Batch Limited Edition Monkey Blend,'
I bet it'd sell like hot cakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.