My Nephew Is Mesmerized By His Box of Cereals When He Has His Breakfast, But He Is Only A Kid.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Most pipe smokers refuse to make their own blends because bulk tobacco does not appeal to them. The same happens when you do your shopping and you have to make a decision between the cheaper and unbranded option (say a box of paracetamol) and a colorful box that comes with exactly the same ingredients. As a matter of fact, the UK government is using this strategy to put everyone off smoking. They call it "the plain tobacco package," basically, a flat coloured box with just the name of the brand in small prints so that everyone can read.plain packaging.jpg

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I'm not making my own blends because there are a zillion out there to try already.
I began making my own blends because sometimes I find something in the market that I like, but not in the ratios they sell it to you. For example, a blend with perhaps too much virginia but not burley. Not that you do not like it, but most of the times I end up thinking "well, this blend would certainly benefit with the addition of Izmir, more burley, less virginia, etc. Buying bulk gives you the opportunity to tweak your own tobacco blend and make it your own to fully satisfy your needs or personal taste.

Reactions: canucklehead
I would call these "experiments" by the UK. I suppose it is better than an out and out ban, but I am going to guess that it's not going to have the effect that they desire. I see it more as making lesser marketed pipe tobaccos will be getting a neck and neck chance at sales, since brand marketing and product design will be taken out of the equation.

I will admit that they type of packaging has an effect on my choices at time. Just like people assumed that Dunhill had something to do with the tobacco in their tins, and Peterson something to do with those tobaccos also.

Reactions: JOHN72

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Many pipe smokers don't know about it, but when it all started back in the time, most customers only smoked their own blends based on their own personal taste and specifications. This is how most of the Dunhill blends became popular with their given names. Alfred Dunhill had a book where he would simply annotate each and every one of their customers' blends with a given number, so when that person walked in the shop, he or she did not have to repeat all the ratios and different components again. Many of these blends became popular because of personal recommendations by word of mouth, from one client to the next. The idea that someone would simply walk in the shop to buy tobacco in a tin without knowing what was in it, was simply preposterous. It is true that some of the blends were ready-made to satisfy the needs of those who did not have a clear idea in mind or were only starting, such as Standard Mixture and others, but for the most part, every consumer knew beforehand what was in it for them. The tobacco industry became mechanized and less consumer-oriented when all the B&B shops realized the trend was now for specific blends that became popular with most customers, so the idea to have your own blend made up for you became obsolete.

Reactions: admin
In a way, colas started the same way. Soda jerks were in pharmacies, so that medicines could be added to carbonated and flavored sodas to make them easier to ingest. Then folks started asking for specific mixes of flavors, just for the drink. Then greasy fast foods started making their appearances at lunch counters, and sodas helped fight off the indigestion from eating foods that are hard on people's systems, and the soda helped fight indigestion. Then along came branding and Coca Cola and their cocaine drinks... then when the drags became illegal, the branding had stuck. Dr. Pepper, Coke, 7Up, were all linked to their beginnings in pharmacies and drugs. But, that doesn't mean sodas were meant to be this way any more than tobaccos are meant to me just personal blends. It's just how they made their start.
But, yes, people shouldn't be afraid of blending their own, but by no means "should" they blend their own. Do what you prefer to do.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Back when I was a kid, most big tobacconist, and stores like Wally Frank, and Barclay Rex kept log books that recorded the specific tobaccos used to mix up a batch their customer's private mixtures. Bulk-tobacco mixtures were sold, but many guys had their own private stock, custom blended.

Now, if you want something special, we have to do what good Tobacconists commonly offered as a service. Blend it yourself, or, buy what's offered.

And the way things are censored, controlled, edited, eliminated, cancelled...do it while you still can.

Reactions: jorgesoler

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always liked tobacco tin art and art on pouches and tubs, but in terms of actually prompting sales, I think the jazzy art allures mostly new or shorter-time pipe smokers. Online, many of us don't see much of the art unless we are tending toward ordering it anyway. But once you buy tobacco over a year or two, the matter of price becomes primary. Poor cigar smokers, pun intended, just have to pay up, wrapping or no wrapping. Just ordered three blends ... bulk.

Reactions: jorgesoler

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
The video is in French, but proves my point. Sherlock Holmes walks into the shop and asks the lady if she is sure about the blend, to which thing she replies "yes I do, only 4 people are listed using this blend." She then goes on to describe all the tobacco ingredients and explain she is quite sure about the blend because of the ratios, which she prepares to satisfy the tobacco needs of those 4 customers. The lady explains it contains latakia and an infinitesimally small amount of La Havana.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The only 'blending' I attempted was mixing 50/50 some Germain's Rich Dark Flake & Brown Flake. The result was rubbish and it made me realise how skilled the top blenders are to make such amazing tasting tobaccos.

Reactions: Razorback
Jun 9, 2018
England
I recently finished 50g of GQ Tobaccos Clementine's Nip (really enjoyed it) and that was something a customer asked for especially that Glynn then started selling as it was so delicious.

From their website:

"Now this isnt really a GQ Blend, its a slight rework of a tobacco Glynn made for one of his customers. Its a weird one, when he first heard about he almost didn't try it and here's why. It's a blend of Coconut aromatic, Kentucky, Perique and a traditional scented english flake, with a little cigar leaf. Sounds odd right, smells odd (yes, yes it does!) but once you light it, it's like a party in your mouth. From sweet, to spicy with plenty of woody, smokey and floral notes to top it all off. Burns slow and cool, packs a medium hit body wise and has a very unique but pleasant aroma. "

Status
Not open for further replies.