Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
And, excluding non-christian indigenous people, they would be observing a Catholic rite why? I do acknowledge some other Christian religions also recognize Lent. But, non-Christian indigenous folk who also treat tobacco and other plant material with reverence? I doubt they observe Lent. At least, after some study, I can find no American indigenous people whose "native" religion observes Lent.

As an aside: Lumping all NA and SA indigenous peoples into a single group, with regards to their beliefs, ignores the many and significant differences between the various recognized groups with regard to their varied systems of beliefs regarding god, origins and such. See,s lazy to me but, that's simply my simple opinion.
Mate your beef was with tobacco being incense like in reverence…………..I think. Now you’re changing tact and throwing slights about being lazy, let’s not forget the true smoke reference in Lent, you know the one where the palm fronds are burnt and your forehead is anointed with the ash.
All I did was suggest that smoke regardless of it‘s source was holy, nothing more and I stand by that.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
I gave up video games for new years (still going strong) and for lent I gave up liquor. I still haven't drank but I'm tempted to after a long day of teaching. Especially if I have this one kid in class who thinks everything needs to be recorded. I've also been volunteering at the local soup kitchen on Sundays as my good deed. Some homework doesn't get graded until Monday but it's worth it.

Reactions: AroEnglish

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
It's difficult to know how to discuss this in light of Matt. 6:16-18, but that was part of the wisdom of the Church in standardizing expectations rather than leaving things to a choose-your-own-adventure.

Edward Pusey said,

Let it be an act of obedience. A sacred Poet of our own says, "The Scripture bids us fast, the Church says now" [G. Herbert]. Thus shall we do it more simply, not as any great thing; not as of our own will, but as an act of obedience; so will the remarks of others (if such there be) less disturb us, as knowing that we are doing but little, and that not of our own mind.

Although the Roman church, since Vatican II, has handled Lent in a way that invites a whose-dick-is-bigger contest, prior to that the received fasting tradition in the West was one full meal plus one half meal a day. As for abstinence from meat, it was all Fridays through the year (except those that fall between Christmas and Epiphany) and all Wednesdays in Lent.

Although abstinence from sweets, alcohol, and tobacco was not officially requested, these abstinences were nevertheless the norm as in keeping with the spirit of the fast.

(And you know that Sundays are always "off Lent" in the West, right?)

Some traditions, such as Continuing Anglicanism, retain the traditional Western fasting norms, and Western Rite Orthodoxy is even more rigorous (one and 1/4 meal rather than 1/2, and no meat six days a week, not just Wednesdays and Fridays).

One advantage to standardized norms is that there's no "So what are you giving up for Lent?"

Losing your appetite is one of the natural responses to compunction. We've all been there. And most of us should be there more as it aids repentance and prepares us to rejoice more fully in the free forgiveness secured by Easter.

I'd encourage you to do this together with a group of faithful men in your parish or other nearby parishes. Seek spiritual camaraderie with them. Folks from other backgrounds on a forum like this will not understand Lent (we struggle to understand it healthfully within the Church as it is!) and are not in a position to give you advice in keeping with your faith.

Good strength,
Scott

Mar 1, 2014
I gave up drinking for Lent two years ago. And never started again. And I honestly don’t miss it now. That would be my vote!
I keep buying Whiskey but I treat it like medicine and therefore I never remember to drink it.
(Apparently there are some health benefits to consuming alcohol in very small amounts.)

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
It's difficult to know how to discuss this in light of Matt. 6:16-18, but that was part of the wisdom of the Church in standardizing expectations rather than leaving things to a choose-your-own-adventure.

Edward Pusey said,

Although the Roman church, since Vatican II, has handled Lent in a way that invites a whose-dick-is-bigger contest, prior to that the received fasting tradition in the West was one full meal plus one half meal a day. As for abstinence from meat, it was all Fridays through the year (except those that fall between Christmas and Epiphany) and all Wednesdays in Lent.

Although abstinence from sweets, alcohol, and tobacco was not officially requested, these abstinences were nevertheless the norm as in keeping with the spirit of the fast.

(And you know that Sundays are always "off Lent" in the West, right?)

Some traditions, such as Continuing Anglicanism, retain the traditional Western fasting norms, and Western Rite Orthodoxy is even more rigorous (one and 1/4 meal rather than 1/2, and no meat six days a week, not just Wednesdays and Fridays).

One advantage to standardized norms is that there's no "So what are you giving up for Lent?"

Losing your appetite is one of the natural responses to compunction. We've all been there. And most of us should be there more as it aids repentance and prepares us to rejoice more fully in the free forgiveness secured by Easter.

I'd encourage you to do this together with a group of faithful men in your parish or other nearby parishes. Seek spiritual camaraderie with them. Folks from other backgrounds on a forum like this will not understand Lent (we struggle to understand it healthfully within the Church as it is!) and are not in a position to give you advice in keeping with your faith.

Good strength,
Scott
Being Presbyterian, I wouldn’t venture to give you any advice beyond what Scott said. Except maybe read your Bible
and pray with your wife regularly.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Folks not making this up. 2 years ago i did not drink whiskey and only on occasion a beer or wine or margarita. Then i watched this story (see link) and due to some cardio issues i decided to give it a try. I never drink more than 1.5 to 2.0 ounces (1 dram) after dinner. I have learned to appreciate a good scotch, bourbon, rye, or irish, etc. It is not filling and low carbs.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
at least you're struggling. isn't that the whole point? I know a guy who gave up sweets, but finds every loophole possible. Fruit aren't sweets? Juice isn't sweets? Mints with fake sugar aren't sweets? Raisin bagels aren't sweets? And on some Sundays, they say it is admissible to partake in what you gave up. It's none of my business at all. This is a highly personal deal. But I do want to ask, "you aren't fooling yourself, are you?"

so to answer the question, it sounds like you gave up one of the right things. I didn't give up anything. I don't practice. But I think I understand the whole gist of this situation.